Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh
|Dağlıq Qarabağın Azərbaycanlı İcması|
Coat of Arms of Azerbaijan
|Formed||March 24, 1992|
|Headquarters||Baku, Azerbaijan Republic|
|Agency executives||Bayram Safarov, Leader of Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh
Nizami Bahmanov (diceased), co-founder
Havva Mammadova, co-founder, Member of Azerbaijani Parliament
Elman Mammadov, co-founder, Member of Azerbaijani Parliament
The Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh (Azerbaijani: Dağlıq Qarabağın Azərbaycanlı İcması), also known as the Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh Social Union, Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh in exile is a social union representing the Azerbaijani community of Nagorno (Upper) Karabakh, in exile since May 1994.
Its first elected leader was Nizami Bahmanov who was appointed the Head of Executive Power of Shusha on April 8, 1992. Since Shusha was the only city in Nagorno-Karabakh with a majority Azerbaijani population, its executive officer was chosen to represent the whole Azerbaijani community of Karabakh. Bahmanov subsequently represented the Azerbaijani community of Nagorno-Karabakh region in peace talks held by OSCE Minsk Group. The status of the Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh Social Union, co-founded by Nizami Bahmanov, member of Azerbaijani Parliament, Havva Mammadova and Elman Mammadov, was formally confirmed by the Ministry of Justice of Azerbaijan in September 2006. Bahmanov died on September 13, 2008 in his office while holding a meeting. The office of the leader of Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh remained unoccupied until February 27, 2009 when Bayram Safarov was appointed the Head of Executive Power of Shusha, subsequently filling the office of leader of Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh too. The name of the organization was changed to Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh Social Union on June 5, 2010.
The union is a non-governmental organization, gaining no financial profit and based on membership by volunteers. Its activities cover the whole territory of Azerbaijan Republic. Main purpose of the organization is the restoration of the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan Republic and return of Azerbaijani IDPs from Karabakh back to their homes. The organization therefore, encourages more activities among the internally displaced population from Karabakh within the framework of the Azerbaijan-Armenia conflict; promotes education on history and culture of Karabakh region; learns and offers solutions to problems of the community; stimulates education of members of the community abroad; promotes sports within the community; disseminate information about the willingness of Azerbaijani community of Karabakh for peaceful resolution and subsequent return of ethnic Azerbaijanis to Karabakh to the international community; dissemination of truth about the Karabakh conflict abroad, etc.
- Refugees and internally displaced persons in Azerbaijan
- Cabinet of Azerbaijan
- "Nizami Bəhmənov iş otağında vəfat edib" [Nizami Bahmanov passed away in his office]. Ria Information Agency. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Javid Turan. "DAĞLIQ QARABAĞIN AZƏRBAYCANLI İCMASI YENİDƏN TƏŞKİLATLANIR" [Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh is being regrouped]. Yeni Musavat. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- ""DAĞLIQ QARABAĞ BÖLGƏSİNİN AZƏRBAYCANLI İCMASI" İCTİMAİ BİRLİYİNİN NİZAMNAMƏSİ" [Charter of the Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh region]. Media Forum. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Mahbube Gasimbeyli (2008-09-13). ""Dağlıq Qarabağın Azərbaycanlı İcması"nın rəhbəri Nizami Bəhmənov vəfat edib" [The leader of the Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh region passed away]. Azeri Press Agency. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Ilgar Rasul (2009-06-05). "Dağlıq Qarabağın Azərbaycanlı İcması özünə yeni rəhbər seçdi" [The Azerbaijani Community of Nagorno-Karabakh elected its leader]. RFE/RL. Retrieved 2010-11-26.