His mother Hilde is German, his father Ahmet Ceylan († 29 October 2012) was Turkish. Bülent Ceylan has three older siblings.
Ceylan attended Friedrich-Ebert-Grundschule and Ludwig-Frank-Gymnasium in Mannheim. In his eleventh year he had a performance parodying Boris Becker, which was very well received by teachers and students. 
After the Abitur in 1995 he did an internship with the music station VIVA and the Rhineland-Palatinate radio station RPR1. In the beginning he performed on small stages, afterwards he studied philosophy and political science but quit university in favor of his career.
The premiere of his programme halb getürkt (wordplay: "getürkt" is colloquial for "faked", but Ceylan is also half Turkish) was broadcast on ZDF in July 2006. In 2007 there followed the program "Kebabbel net" (blend of Kebab and "babbel net" meaning Stop talking (crap) in the dialect of Mannheim) which was later recorded and broadcast by RTL in 2009. This brought him the "Deutschen Comedypreis" in the category Newcomer and the "CIVIS-Medienpreis" for integration in May 2010. At the same time Ceylan celabrated the premiere of his program "Ganz schön turbülent" (blend of turbulent and his name) for which he was awarded the "Deutschen Comedypreis" as best comedian in 2010. Ceylan started his program "Wilde Kreatürken" (blend of "Kreaturen" = creatures and "Türken" = Turks) in 2011, RTL broadcast it in 2012. His next program "HAARDROCK" (blend of Hardrock and "Haar" = "hair" referring to his long hair) premiered in January 2014.
Bülent Ceylan has appeared in numerous German TV shows like Quatsch Comedy Club. He develops his programs mainly together with Roland Junghans. As an actor, he played Mustafa in several episodes of the series Hausmeister Krause and as Jonny, a main character in the sitcom Bewegte Männer. On 6 June 2008, he joined Stefan Raabs "Autoball-EM" playing for Turkey. His stage show Bülent Ceylan – live was broadcast on RTL Television on Saturday, 26 September 2009. On 21 August 2010 Ceylan appeared at the 'Summer Breeze' metal festival. On 19 February 2011 "Die Bülent Ceylan Show" started on RTL Television. Its first season consisted of six episodes.  Bülent Ceylan appeared on the Wacken Open Air in August 2011.
Bülent Ceylan plays several comic roles with frequent themes being the quirks of Germans from Turkish family backgrounds and people from Mannheim.
Bülent Ceylan is married and has a daughter.
- 2001 Bielefelder Kabarettpreis
- 2002 Kleinkunstpreis Baden-Württemberg
- 2009 Deutscher Comedypreis: Best Newcomer
- 2010 Civis Medienpreis
- 2011 Goldene Schallplatte for the DVD Bülent Ceylan - Live!
- 2011 Goldene Schallplatte for the DVD Ganz schön Turbülent
- 2011 Deutscher Comedypreis: Best Comedian
- Döner for one – mit alles (premiere: November 2002, Capitol Mannheim)
- Halb getürkt (Premiere: Oktober 2005, Rosengarten Mannheim)
- Kebabbel net (Premiere: September 2007, Capitol Mannheim)
- Ganz schön turbülent! (Premiere: Oktober 2009, Capitol Mannheim)
- Wilde Kreatürken (Start: Oktober 2011, Capitol Mannheim)
- Halb getürkt, Köln : WortArt, 2006
- Bülent Ceylan – live, Mannheim,(18 September 2009)
- Bülent Ceylan – Ganz schön turbülent (22 October 2010)
- Produzier’ mich net!, 2000
- Döner for one, Berlin: Blue Cat Print und Music, 2003
- Halb getürkt, Köln: WortArt, 2006
- Kebabbel net, 2008
- Ganz schön Turbülent, 2010
- "Bülent makes Mama Hilde a TV-Star"
- SR: Bülent Ceylan. Der Monnemer Türk (= the Turk from Mannheim) in MEIER, October 2011
- Die Bülent Ceylan Show
- "The Comedian with the heart of a rocker"
- Interview with Ceylan on the website „Wort Text Bild Publiktation“ (retrieved 2 January 2012)
- Civis media award