||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
Born and raised in San Paulo, Brazil, Dranoff began as a Music Programmer in the mid-1980s at Jovem Pan II FM radio, and in-house producer at the 150 Jazz Club (Maksoud Plaza Hotel) and Projeto SP. Dranoff worked with local and international talent to produce shows that earned national acclaim at these prestigious music venues.
In 1988, Dranoff obtained a bachelors degree in Mass Media/Communications from São Paulo's FAAP College, and relocated to New York. There he founded Artmosphere, Inc. a talent agency that exclusively represented and promoted Brazilian artists.
In 1994, Dranoff joined the pro-social multimedia production company Red Hot Organization, and co-produced the HIV/AIDS benefit compilation Red Hot + Rio (Verve), its companion Novabossa, and subsequent projects Onda Sonora: Red Hot + Lisbon and Red Hot In Portugal (Movieplay).
Throughout the 1990s, Dranoff produced several albums and compilations including Capiríssima: Batucada Eletrônica (Caipirinha), The Best Of Os Mutantes: Everything is Possible with David Byrne (Luaka Bop), the soundtrack for Next Stop Wonderland directed by Brad Anderson (Miramax/Verve) and Chico Science & Nação Zumbi’s remix project CSNZ (Sony). Dranoff also contributed to Angelique Kidjo's Grammy nominated album Black Ivory Soul (Sony).
In 1998, Dranoff co-founded the modern Brazilian music label Ziriguiboom in association with Belgium’s Crammed Discs, launching the international careers of artists Bebel Gilberto, Celso Fonseca, Cibelle, Zuco 103, Trio Mocotó, Bossacucanova, Apollo Nove, DJ Dolores and the late producer Suba. To date Ziriguiboom has released over 30 albums and compilations including SambaSoul70, Brasil2Mil / Soul Of Bass-O-Nova, Ziriguiboom / The Now Sound Of Brazil and more.
In July 2009, Dranoff and co-producer/director Guto Barra launched the documentary Beyond Ipanema: Brazilian Waves in Global Music which premiered at NY’s MOMA Museum during the annual Premiere Brazil festival. This film documents the international influence of Brazilian music from Carmem Miranda to today’s leading artists. The piece has been screened in over 40 film festivals around the world including SXSW, HotDocs, Mostra de São Paulo, and Festival do Rio de Janeiro.
Dranoff is currently producing two original music projects Sambismo and Ondular. In May 2010, he launched the monthly online Brazilian music radio show Sonoridade which streams via the Art International Radio website.
Dranoff appears as a guest DJ and music curator for special events and benefits on the New York City club scene, selecting music for Cielo, Kush, Guastavinos, Le Poisson Rouge, Hudson Hotel, Megu Lounge and Nubu.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (March 2011)|
- Co-Producer/ Sambismo / For 2011 Release
- Co-Producer / Mauricio Pessoa / Habitat / Independent / NY
- Compiler / Contempo Boutique / Promotional Compilation / Salvador / Brasil
- Compiler / SambaRoots / Sambazon Juices / Benefit Compilation
- Compiler / Smoking Brazil Deluxe / Smoking Rolling Paper / ST2 Brasil
- Compiler / The Pure Spirit / Sagatiba Cachaça / Promotional Compilation
- A&R / DJ Dolores / Um Real / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / Executive Producer/ Bebel Gilberto / Momento/ Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R/ Cibelle / The Shine Of Dried Electric Leaves / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / Apollo Nove / Res Inexplicata Volans / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Co-Compiler/ Now Sound Of Brazil 2 / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Music Direction / ‘Costumes By God’ / ChameckiLerner Dance @ DTW NY
- A&R / Rive Gauche Rio / Celso Fonseca / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / Aparelhagem / DJ Dolores / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / Remixed / Bebel Gilberto / Ziriguibom / Crammed Discs
- Co-Compiler / Now Sound Of Brazil 1 / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / Samba Rock / Beleza Beleza Beleza / Trio Mocotó / Ziriguiboom
- Co-Producer / Rio-Lisboa / António Chainho / Movieplay Discos
- Co-compiler / SambaSoul70! / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Co-compiler / Brasil2Mil / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / Outro Lado / Tales Of High Fever / One Up / Whaa!! / Zuco 103
- A&R Cibelle / Cibelle / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / São Paulo Confessions/ Suba / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- A&R / Revisited Classics / Suba / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Music Consultant / Red Hot + Riot / Fela Kuti Tribute / MCA Records
- Executive Producer / A&R / Bebel Gilberto / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Co-producer / Natural / Celso Fonseca / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Co-producer / Tributo / Suba / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Co-producer / Tanto Tempo Remixes / Bebel / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Co-producer / Tanto Tempo / Bebel Gilberto / Ziriguiboom / Crammed Discs
- Music Consultant / Black Ivory Soul / Angelique Kidjo / Sony Music
- Music Supervision / ‘Next Stop Wonderland’ soundtrack / Miramax / Verve
- Co-producer / Silêncio = Muerte / Red Hot + Latin / HOLA Recordings
- Music Consultant / Eu Tiro É Onda / Marcelo D2 / Sony Music
- Music Consultant / Ostinato / Dominique Dalcan / Island France
- Co-compiler (w/ David Byrne) / The Best Of Os Mutantes / Luaka Bop
- Co-producer / CSNZ Remixes / Chico Science & Nação Zumbi / Sony
- Compiler / Caipiríssima: Batucada Eletrônica / Caipirinha Records
- Compiler / Red Hot On Portugal / Movieplay Discos
- Co-producer / Onda Sonora: Red Hot + Lisbon / Movieplay Discos
- Co-compiler / Novabossa / Verve Records
- Co-producer / Red Hot + Rio / Verve Records
- "Artist Details: CRAMMED DISCS". Crammed.be. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Beyond Ipanema". Beyond Ipanema. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Roberto "Beco" Dranoff @ ARTISTdirect.com - Free Roberto "Beco" Dranoff Music Videos, Downloads, News, Biography, MP3, Lyrics and More". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Tom Zé: Chicago Tribune Review". Luaka Bop. 1999-05-16. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Beco Dranoff - About This Person - Movies & TV - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. 2007-01-18. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Red Hot + Rio 2". Bam.org. 2008-12-04. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Premiere Brazil! 2010". MoMA. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "RecifeNation: Mangue, Music & Mud". Art On Air. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Sambazon Açaí: Sambazon Gear: Samba Roots CD". Sambazon.com. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "CD - Smoking Brasil Deluxe - Since 1879". Sebo do Messias. Retrieved 2011-10-14.