|Relative key||D♭ major
enharmonic: C♯ major
|Parallel key||B♭ major|
|Dominant key||F major / F minor|
|B♭, C, D♭, E♭, F, G♭, A♭, B♭|
B♭ minor or B-flat minor is a minor scale based on B-flat, consisting of the pitches B♭, C, D♭, E♭, F, G♭, and A♭. Its key signature has five flats. The harmonic minor scale would use an A♮ instead of A♭.
B-flat minor is traditionally a 'dark' key." Important oboe solos in this key in the orchestral literature include the second movement of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4, which depicts "the feeling that you get when you are all alone", in Tchaikovsky's words. Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 is also in B-flat minor. An Alpine Symphony by Richard Strauss begins and ends in B-flat minor.
The old valveless horn was barely capable of playing in B-flat minor; the only example found in 18th century music is a modulation that occurs in the first minuet of Franz Krommer's Concertino in D major, Op. 80.
In classical music
- Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings
- Frédéric Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2, Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1, Scherzo No. 2 (ends in D-flat major)
- Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Sonata No. 2
- Dmitri Shostakovich's Symphony No. 13 and String Quartet No. 13
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, Sérénade mélancolique and Marche Slave
- Sir William Walton's Symphony No. 1
In popular music
B-flat minor is popular amongst saxophonists since B-flat is a common saxophone tuning. Notable B-flat minor saxophone solos in popular music include Gold by Spandau Ballet and Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.
|Diatonic scales and keys|
|The table indicates the number of sharps or flats in each scale. Minor scales are written in lower case.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to B-flat minor.|
- Wilfred Mellers, "Round and About in Górecki's Symphony No. 3" Tempo 168 3 (1989): 23
- J. Murray Barbour, Trumpets, Horns, and Music (1964), p. 163
- "First edition score of Piano Sonata No. 2, Op. 35". Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Sheet music for Nocturne No. 1, Op. 9". Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Sheet music for Scherzo No. 2, Op. 31". Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "First edition score of Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 36". Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "First edition score of Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 23". Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "10 Questions with Sune Rose Wagner". Retrieved 2008-02-07.[dead link]
- Sheet Music Direct - Download Digital Sheet Music
- Of Monsters And Men - Little Talks Sheet Music (Digital Download)