B.A.P (South Korean band)
|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (January 2015)|
From left to right: Youngjae, Daehyun, Yongguk, Himchan, Zelo & Jongup
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, hip-hop, R&B, rock|
|Years active||2012–2014 (Inactive)|
B.A.P (Korean: 비에이피; an acronym for Best Absolute Perfect) is a six-member hip-hop South Korean group formed in 2011 under the management of TS Entertainment. On January 26, 2012, B.A.P made their recording debut with the single "Warrior", followed by the release of their debut EP, Warrior in February 2012.
- 1 Career
- 2 Artistry
- 3 Concerts
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
B.A.P was formed and began promoting in late 2011, starting with Yong Guk, who takes the role of leader in the group. He signed to TS Entertainment and was featured on labelmate Song Jieun's song "Going Crazy". He made a solo debut on August 11, 2011, with the single "I Remember", featuring B2ST's Yang Yo-seob. A second member, Him Chan, an ulzzang multi-instrumentalist, was the second member of BAP to be introduced to the public as an MC for a music show program on MTV Korea, called "The Show". And lastly, on November 23, 2011, Zelo, the third member from BAP to be publicly introduced, collaborated with fellow member Bang Yong Guk, under the moniker Bang & Zelo. They released a song, titled "Never Give Up".
2012: Warrior, Power, No Mercy, Crash, and Stop It
In January 2012, the group starred in a reality show, Ta-Dah, It's B.A.P, which aired on SBS MTV. The show focused on how the six members play the role of aliens from a different planet who worked together to debut as B.A.P and invade Earth to help save their dying planet, Planet Mato.
On January 25, 2012, the group's debut single, "Warrior", was released, with MTV Korea describing it as "powerful and charismatic". Additionally, Nancy Lee of Enews World wrote "It appears B.A.P has set out to differentiate itself among the pretty-boy male idol groups currently dominating the K-Pop world with a tough, bad boy image, smashing car windows, kicking up dirt and, you know, doing as boys do." On February 3, 2012, Warrior debuted on Billboard's World Albums Chart at #10. In South Korea, Warrior sold over 10,000 copies in just two days upon its release.
In March 2012, B.A.P released a follow-up song, "Secret Love". On April 16, 2012, TS Entertainment announced that B.A.P would have a comeback with a new album on April 27, 2012. "Power" was released in April, as a single-album of the same name, Power. Upon the release of the album, Power sold out its initial batch of 30,000 copies. The album was well received and like its predecessor, Power also debuted at number 10 on the Billboard World Albums Charts.
On July 12, 2012 the title of B.A.P's first mini album, No Mercy, was revealed. No Mercy was released digitally on July 19 and physically on July 24 under the label of TS Entertainment. On August 30, 2012, the repackaged version of the EP, renamed Crash, was released.
On October 23, B.A.P released their third single album, titled "Stop It", together with a music video on TS Entertainment's YouTube channel.
2013: One Shot and Japanese debut
On July 28, 2013, TS Entertainment announced that the group will be releasing their third EP Badman on August 6, 2013. The agency had also stated before that there were going to be three promotional singles from the upcoming third EP, namely "Coffee Shop", "Hurricane" and "Badman".
In May, King Records, the Japanese record label that once signed Rain, signed up the group. They released their first Japanese music video, Warrior, on YouTube on September 13, 2013, and their album and single were officially released on October 9, 2013.
Recently, the boys have released the MV for their second Japanese single "One Shot" and they have released much praise for their ability to both sing and rap in a foreign language so well.
2014–present: First Sensibility, B.A.P Unplugged 2014, and lawsuit
In mid-January, TS Entertainment confirmed plans that B.A.P was set to make a comeback with their first full-length studio album, entitled First Sensibility. Revealed to contain a total of 13 tracks, it was also confirmed that the title track would be "1004 (Angel)", and that the group's comeback was set for February 3. Upon its release First Sensibility topped the iTunes Top 10 Hip Hop Albums chart in nine countries. It also entered the iTunes Top 100 Album Chart in a total of twelve countries, even charting in the top 50 albums in the US. Furthermore, the album topped the Billboard World Album chart proving their international popularity. In Korea, First Sensibility topped both Hanteo and Gaon monthly charts for February. This album gave B.A.P their first music show victory on Show Champion with "1004 (Angel)". Then they went ahead to win two more times with "1004 (Angel)", proving the success of this song. B.A.P released their third Japanese single 'No Mercy' on April 3 and ranked second on Oricon Daily Singles Charts. They also managed to rank second on Oricon Singles weekly charts.
After successful promotions of "1004 (Angel)", B.A.P kicked off their B.A.P Live On Earth 2014 Continent Tour with a two day concert in Seoul. This was B.A.P's 2nd solo concert in Korea within only two years of debut. It is estimated that 20,000 global fans were able to enjoy the concert at real-time with B.A.P. B.A.P held a total of 23 concerts in cities throughout the United States, Asia, Australia, and Europe during this tour.
While on tour, B.A.P made a special release of a single as a gift to their fans B.A.P Unplugged 2014. The single album feature instrumental songs for the first time and was meant to thank their fans for the continuous love and support. This single was not promoted but still managed to rank really well.
On August 11, B.A.P released their fourth Japanese single "Excuse Me". TS Entertainment announced on October 27 that they have cancelled the South American leg of the group's tour to give time off for the members to rest and recharge.
On November 27, 2014, it was reported that the group had filed a lawsuit against their label to nullify their contract due to unfair conditions and profit distribution. The following day, TS Entertainment issued a press release refuting the claims made, stating that “there have been neither such maltreatments to the artists nor unfair clauses in the contract.” However, TS Entertainment's claims were challenged when B.A.P released another statement claiming lack of accountability and the group is considering filing for defamation of character.
Musical styles and image
B.A.P's debut single, "Warrior", talks about the injustice of the current society and how the protagonist desires to end it.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
MTV Korea called B.A.P, "a versatile group". On their live performances, Yun Seong Yeol of Star News Korea commented, "They've already proved what they're showing on the stage is very distinctive. Their perfect group dance, strong charisma, Bang Yong Guk's raw rap, and Zelo's high-speed rap are in perfect harmony. And Dae Hyun and Young Jae's great voices make their performance reach the climax. As befits their aggressive moves, their performances are very intense. Even top singing groups might have to pay attention to them." Additionally, Nancy Lee of Enews World commented, "It appears [that] B.A.P has set out to differentiate itself among the pretty-boy male idol groups currently dominating the K-Pop world with a tough, bad boy image, smashing car windows, kicking up dirt and, you know, doing as boys do." During their debut period, the members all dyed their hair platinum blonde. They have personally participated in their stage ensembles, their concept, as well as writing and composing their songs on the album in order to express their unique colors. As member Yoo Youngjae pointed out, "we wanted to prevent ourselves from being too different, because we wanted a ‘team’ image on stage." When asked about the biggest difference between B.A.P and other idol groups, Yong Guk commented, "We are manly. When you look at the dances that many male idol groups dance, there are a lot of moves where their lines stand out. So there are times where they look prettier when dancing in a group, but in contrast to that, we wanted to express a powerful side more rather than give enjoyment to the eyes. That's why I think we look more different. And our music style and fashion as well."
Leader Bang Yong Guk, discussing his passion for African American Music, said, "We're like a white paper now, on which can have any kinds of drawing. On the contrary to this, our music is black. All members love African-American music as it has soul. If I could be born again, I would want to be born as African-Americans and do their music", causing Tiffany Lee of the Los Angeles Weekly to wonder if "something was lost in translation". Yong Guk and Zelo cite 50 Cent, P. Diddy, Pharrell and other rappers as their musical influences. Aside from being a rapper, Yong Guk is also a song-writer, having participating on composing of all B.A.P's songs in their debut album, Warrior (EP). Kim Himchan is a multi-instrumentalist and is influenced by Korean Traditional Music. Himchan plays various Korean traditional instruments, such as daegeum (flute-like traditional instrument), janggu (drum-like traditional instrument), kkwaenggwari and jing. Jung Daehyun is influenced by R&B music and cites Shin Yong Jae as his musical influence. Yoo Youngjae is influenced by R&B and Neo Soul music; cites Musiq Soulchild and Jay Park as his musical influences Moon Jong Up is influenced by dance, Hip-Hop & R&B music; he cites Chris Brown as his major influence and one of his idols, particularly in singing and dancing. Zelo is influenced by Hip-Hop and R&B music, and cites will.i.am and Kanye West as his role models. As for Korean artists, all of the members have revealed that they are fans of Jay Park and would love to have a collaboration with him.
- 2013: B.A.P LIVE ON EARTH
- 2013: B.A.P 1st Japan Tour Warrior Begins
- 2014: B.A.P Live On Earth 2014 Continent Tour
- 2014: First Sensibility
|2012||SBS MTV||Ta-Dah! It's B.A.P||10 Episodes|
|2012||SBS MTV||B.A.P Diary||2 Episodes|
|2012||Mnet||B.A.P's Killing Camp||3 Episodes|
|2012||MBC Every1||Weekly Idol||Episode 52 (August 22, 2012)|
|2013||MBC Every1||Weekly Idol||Episode 85 (March 6, 2013), Episode 111 (September 4, 2013)|
|2014||MBC Every1||Weekly Idol||Episode 137 (March 5, 2014)|
|2014||TSENT2008 YouTube||B.A.P Attack!||B.A.P Live On Earth 2014 Continent Tour; 13 Episodes|
- "B.A.P". King Record Company. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Lee, Tiffanie. "B.A.P – Club Nokia – 5-7-13". LA Weekly. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "송지은 래퍼" 방용국, 과거 힙합씬 활동사진 공개 ‘훈훈포스’ [TS Entertainment reveals past photos of Ji Eun’s rapper, Bang Yong Guk]. Newsen Power News (in Korean). Newsen. 2011-03-08. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "SECRET’s Song Ji Eun releases her "Going Crazy" MV". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Bang Yong Guk unleashes powerful MV for "I Remember"". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Park, Anna (August 25, 2011). "Second member of TS Baby revealed through MTV Korea's The Show!". MTV Korea. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "TS Entertainment introduced Zelo, Bang Yong Guk’s sub-unit partner". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Bang & Zelo release "Never Give Up" MV". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Hong, Lucia (2012-01-26). "New boy band B.A.P's debut documentary to air in 8 Asian countries". 10asiae News. 10asiae (ⓒ 10아시아 ). Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- 2012년 빛낼 아이돌 출격 임박..'신고 합니다!' (in Korean). Star News. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Xu, Tina (January 25, 2012). "B.A.P makes long awaited debut with 'Warrior'". MTV Korea. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Lee, Nancy (January 26, 2012). "B.A.P ‘Warrior’ Music Video Released". enewsworld (CJ E&M). Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Billboard World Albums Chart (Week of February 12, 2012)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. February 3, 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "B.A.P, 데뷔 앨범 1만장 발매 이틀만에 '완판' [B.A.P’s debut album ‘Warrior’ sells 10,000 copies in 2 days]" (in Korean). TV Report. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Suk, Monica (2012-02-27). "B.A.P to go on stage with follow-up song in March". 10asiae News. 10asiae (ⓒ 10아시아 ). Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "The 6 ‘Warriors’ of B.A.P will be making a comeback next week!". Allkpop. 6theory Media). 2012-04-16. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "B.A.P. releases teaser for "POWER"". Allkpop. 6theory Media). 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "B.A.P. sells out their first batch of 30,000 copies".
- "B.A.P's first mini album to be titled 'No Mercy'".
- "B.A.P releases video teaser for "One Shot"". allkpop. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- "B.A.P releases mini album + 7-minute long MV for "One Shot"". allkpop. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Billboard World Albums: March 2, 2013, Billboard
- "B.A.P releases album cover + tracklist for 'BADMAN'". Allkpop. July 28, 2013. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- King Records staff (July 26, 2013). "(B.A.P) Japan 1st single "Warrior" out October 9th". King Records. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- KpopStarz (January 15, 2014). "BAP Ready For a Comeback With 1st Full-Length Album 'First Sensibility'". KpopStarz. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- starsung (February 5, 2014). "B.A.P's 'First Sensibility' ranks in the Top 10 on iTunes Hip-Hop Albums Chart in nine countries". Allkpop. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- alim17 (February 14, 2014). "B.A.P's album 'First Sensibility' tops Billboard's World Albums Chart". Allkpop. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- jennywill (March 2, 2014). "B.A.P's 'First Sensibility' tops Hanteo's February monthly chart". Allkpop. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- GhostWriter (March 6, 2014). "Gaon Chart releases chart rankings for the month of February 2014". Allkpop. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- alim17 (February 12, 2014). "B.A.P celebrate their first Music Show Victory on this week's 'Show Champion'". Allkpop. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- Dianna Shin (April 3, 2014). "B.A.P Japan Single, 'NO MERCY' Comes In Second On Oricon Daily Single Chart". KpopStarz. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- "B.A.P Bring in 20,000 Fans for Their 'BAP Live on Earth Seoul 2014'". Allkpop. 2014-03-09. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- Benjamin, Jeff (March 13, 2014). "B.A.P to Return Stateside for Four 'Live on Earth 2014' Tour Dates". Billboard.com. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "B.A.P to come back with 4th single 'Where Are You? What Are You Doing?' on June 3rd". Allkpop. May 26, 2014. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- "B.A.P Releases 4th Japanese Single". Allkpop. 2014-08-11. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (October 28, 2014). "B.A.P Cancels South American Tour and Announces Temporary Rest Period". CJ E&M enewsworld. Mwave. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- Kim, Hyung-woo; Hong, Grace Danbi (November 27, 2014). "TS Entertainment Checking on B.A.P′s Lawsuit to Nullify Contract". Newsen. Mwave. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- Ock, Hyun-ju (November 28, 2014). "Star agency refutes B.A.P slave contract controversy". K-Pop Herald. The Korean Herald. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "[단독] B.A.P vs TS, 첫 변론기일 내년 2~3월 예정...답변서 제출 아직". OBS News (in Korean). 22 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Yun Seong Yeol (2012-02-16). "New boy group B.A.P says, "We want to conquer the earth!" (Interview)". Star News. STARNEWS. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- "B.A.P is determined to conquer the world with their music". Allkpop. 6theory Media. 2012-02-02. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Hwang Mi-Hyeon (2012-02-06). "B.A.P "지구정복! 결코 헛된 꿈이 아니랍니다"[인터뷰" [B.A.P is determined to conquer the world with their music]. OSEN (in Korean). Intigram. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "2012년 4월호 ELLE Girl – B.A.P" [Elle Magazine Korea April Edition, B.A.P Interview]. Daum News (in Korean). Daum Communications. 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- Lee, Tiffanie (8 May 2013). "B.A.P — Club Nokia - 5-7-13". Los Angeles Weekly. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Exclusive interview with Bang & Zelo!". Daily Kpop News. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-09). "(INTERVIEW) B.A.P Bang Yong-guk, Him Chan". 10asia. ⓒ 10아시아. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "B.A.P’s Himchan revealed to be a graduate of top tier arts schools". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-07). "B.A.P – My name is 영재, 대현". 10asia News (in Korean). 10asiae. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-07). "B.A.P – My name is 젤로, 종업". 10asia News (in Korean). 10asiae. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- "BAP members are fan of Jay Park". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to B.A.P.|