B.A.P @ KCON 2012 From left to right: Youngjae, Daehyun, Yongguk, Himchan, Zelo & Jongup
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, Hip-hop, R&B, Rock|
|Labels||TS Entertainment (Korea)
King Records (Japan)
|Associated acts||Secret, Untouchable|
B.A.P (Korean: 비에이피; an acronym for Best Absolute Perfect) is a six-member hip-hop South Korean group formed in 2012 under the management of TS Entertainment. On January 26, 2012, B.A.P made their recording debut with the single "Warrior", followed by the release of their debut EP, Warrior in February 2012.
- 1 Career
- 2 Members
- 3 Artistry
- 4 Concerts
- 5 Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
B.A.P. was formed and began promoting in late 2011, starting with Yong Guk, who takes the role of leader in the group. He signed to TS Entertainment and was featured on labelmate Song Jieun's song "Going Crazy". He made a solo debut on August 11, 2011, with the single "I Remember", featuring B2ST's Yang Yo-seob. A second member, Him Chan, an ulzzang multi-instrumentalist, was the second member of BAP to be introduced to the public as an MC for a music show program on MTV Korea, called "The Show". And lastly, on November 23, 2011, Zelo, the third member from BAP to be publicly introduced, collaborated with fellow member Bang Yong Guk, under the moniker Bang & Zelo. They released a song, titled "Never Give Up".
2012: Warrior, Power, No Mercy, Crash, and Stop It
In January 2012, the group starred in a reality show, Ta-Dah, It's B.A.P, which aired on SBS MTV. The show focused on how the six members play the role of aliens from a different planet who worked together to debut as B.A.P and invade Earth to help save their dying planet, Planet Mato.
On January 25, 2012, the group's debut single, "Warrior", was released, with MTV Korea describing it as "powerful and charismatic". Additionally, Nancy Lee of Enews World wrote "It appears B.A.P has set out to differentiate itself among the pretty-boy male idol groups currently dominating the K-Pop world with a tough, bad boy image, smashing car windows, kicking up dirt and, you know, doing as boys do." Promotion for the single began on the Korean TV show Music Bank, followed by other Music TV appearances such as M! Countdown, Music Core, Inkigayo and The Show. On February 3, 2012, Warrior debuted on Billboard's World Albums Chart at #10. In South Korea, Warrior sold over 10,000 copies in just two days upon its release.
In March 2012, B.A.P released a follow-up song, "Secret Love". On April 16, 2012, TS Entertainment announced that B.A.P would have a comeback with a new album on April 27, 2012. "Power" was released in April, as a single-album of the same name, Power. Upon the release of the album, Power has sold out its initial batch of 30,000 copies. The album was well received and like its predecessor, Power also debuted at number 10 on the Billboard World Albums Charts.
On July 12, 2012 the title of B.A.P's first mini album, No Mercy, was revealed. No Mercy was released digitally on July 19, 2012 under the label of TS Entertainment. The physical release was originally scheduled to be on July 19, 2012 as well but was delayed to July 24, 2012 because of the problems with the finished product. On August 30, 2012, the repackaged version of the EP, renamed Crash, was released.
In early October, 2012, TS Entertainment stated that B.A.P were preparing for their new album. On October 23, B.A.P released their third single album, titled "Stop It", together with a music video on TS Entertainment's YouTube channel.
2013: One Shot and Japanese debut
On July 28, 2013, TS Entertainment announced that the group will be releasing their third EP Badman on August 6, 2013. The agency had also stated before that there were going to be three promotional singles from the upcoming third EP, namely "Coffee Shop", "Hurricane" and "Badman".
In May, King Records, the Japanese record label that once signed Rain, signed up the group. They released their first Japanese music video, Warrior, on YouTube on September 13, 2013, and their album and single were officially released on October 9, 2013.
Recently, the boys have released the MV for their second Japanese single "One Shot" and they have released much praise for their ability to both sing and rap in a foreign language so well.
2014-present: First Sensibility
In mid-January, TS Entertainment confirmed plans that B.A.P was set to make a comeback with their first full-length studio album, entitled First Sensibility. Revealed to contain a total of 13 tracks, it was also confirmed that the title track would be "1004 (Angel)", and that the group's comeback was set for February 3.
|Stage name||Full name||Date of birth||Position|
|Yongguk||용국||Bang Yong-guk||방용국||March 31, 1990||Leader, Rap|
|Himchan||힘찬||Kim Him-chan||김힘찬||April 19, 1990||Vocals|
|Daehyun||대현||Jung Dae-hyun||정대현||June 28, 1993||Vocals|
|Youngjae||영재||Yoo Young-jae||유영재||January 24, 1994||Vocals|
|Jongup||종업||Moon Jong-up||문종업||February 6, 1995||Dance, Vocals|
|Zelo||젤로||Choi Jun-hong||최준홍||October 15, 1996||Rap, Dance|
Musical styles and image
B.A.P's debut single, "Warrior", talks about the injustice of the current society and how the protagonist desires to end it.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
MTV Korea called B.A.P, "a versatile group". On their live performances, Yun Seong Yeol of Star News Korea commented, "They've already proved what they're showing on the stage is very distinctive. Their perfect group dance, strong charisma, Bang Yong Guk's raw rap, and Zelo's high-speed rap are in perfect harmony. And Dae Hyun and Young Jae's great voices make their performance reach the climax. As befits their aggressive moves, their performances are very intense. Even top singing groups might have to pay attention to them." Additionally, Nancy Lee of Enews World commented, "It appears [that] B.A.P has set out to differentiate itself among the pretty-boy male idol groups currently dominating the K-Pop world with a tough, bad boy image, smashing car windows, kicking up dirt and, you know, doing as boys do." During their debut period, the members all dyed their hair platinum blonde. They have personally participated in their stage ensembles, their concept, as well as writing and composing their songs on the album in order to express their unique colors. As member Yoo Youngjae pointed out, "we wanted to prevent ourselves from being too different, because we wanted a ‘team’ image on stage." When asked about the biggest difference between B.A.P and other idol groups, Yong Guk commented, "We are manly. When you look at the dances that many male idol groups dance, there are a lot of moves where their lines stand out. So there are times where they look prettier when dancing in a group, but in contrast to that, we wanted to express a powerful side more rather than give enjoyment to the eyes. That's why I think we look more different. And our music style and fashion as well.
B.A.P's musical style is heavily influenced by Hip-Hop music. Leader Bang Yong Guk shared the group's passion for African American Music, he confessed, "We're like a white paper now, on which can have any kinds of drawing. On the contrary to this, our music is black. All members love African-American music as it has soul. If we can be born again, we want to be born as African-Americans and do their music. Yong Guk and Zelo cite 50 Cent, P. Diddy, Pharrell and other rappers as their musical influences. Additionally Yong Guk commented, "My goal from the beginning wasn't becoming a K-pop singer. But seeing Supreme Team or Dynamic Duo who have popularized hip hop music [in Korea], I wanted to take part in it and make my contribution to the genre’s development." Aside from being a rapper, Yong Guk is also a song-writer, having participating on composing of all B.A.P's songs in their debut album, Warrior (EP). Kim Himchan is a multi-instrumentalist and is influenced by Korean Traditional Music. Himchan plays various Korean traditional instruments, such as daegeum (flute-like traditional instrument), janggu (drum-like traditional instrument), kkwaenggwari and jing. In college, Himchan continued in this direction with a major in traditional arts at the Korea National University of Arts. Jung Daehyun is influenced by R&B music and cites Shin Yong Jae as his musical influence. Yoo Youngjae is influenced by R&B and Neo Soul music; cites Musiq Soulchild and Jay Park as his musical influences Moon Jong Up is influenced by dance, Hip-Hop & R&B music; he cites Chris Brown as his major influence and one of his idols, particularly in singing and dancing. Zelo is influenced by Hip-Hop and R&B music, and cites will.i.am and Kanye West as his role models. As for Korean artists, all of the members have revealed that they are fans of Jay Park and would love to have a collaboration with him.
- 2013: B.A.P LIVE ON EARTH
- Studio albums
- 2014: First Sensibility
- Extended plays
- Single albums
|2011||MTV||Korea The Show||Him Chan|
|2012||MBC||Show! Music Core||Dae Hyun|
|2012||SBS MTV||《Ta-Dah! It's B.A.P》||10 Episodes|
|2012||SBS MTV||《B.A.P Diary》||2 Episodes|
|2012||Mnet||《B.A.P's Killing Camp》||3 Episodes|
|2011||KELLAN（with Jun Hyoseong、Han Sunhwa）||Yong Guk、Him Chan|
|2012||MTV K 《B.A.P, Boys of Dogtown》||B.A.P|
|2012||NIKE Air Force One Series||B.A.P|
|2013||SKOOLOOKS (with A Pink)||B.A.P|
Awards and nominations
- "B.A.P". King Record Company. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Lee, Tiffanie. "B.A.P - Club Nokia - 5-7-13". LA Weekly. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- (Korean) ""송지은 래퍼" 방용국, 과거 힙합씬 활동사진 공개 ‘훈훈포스’" [TS Entertainment reveals past photos of Ji Eun’s rapper, Bang Yong Guk]. Newsen Power News. Newsen. 2011-03-08. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "SECRET’s Song Ji Eun releases her "Going Crazy" MV". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Bang Yong Guk unleashes powerful MV for "I Remember"". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Park, Anna (August 25, 2011). "Second member of TS Baby revealed through MTV Korea's The Show!". MTV Korea. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "TS Entertainment introduced Zelo, Bang Yong Guk’s sub-unit partner". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Bang & Zelo release "Never Give Up" MV". 6Theory Media. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Hong, Lucia (2012-01-26). "New boy band B.A.P's debut documentary to air in 8 Asian countries". 10asiae News. 10asiae (ⓒ 10아시아 ). Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- (Korean)"2012년 빛낼 아이돌 출격 임박..'신고 합니다!'". Star News. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Xu, Tina (January 25, 2012). "B.A.P makes long awaited debut with 'Warrior'". MTV Korea. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Lee, Nancy (January 26, 2012). "B.A.P ‘Warrior’ Music Video Released". enewsworld (CJ E&M). Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "B.A.P debuts on Music Bank". Allkpop. 6theory Media. January 27, 2012. Retrieved January 27, 2012.
- "Billboard World Albums Chart (Week of February 12, 2012)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. February 3, 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- (Korean)"B.A.P, 데뷔 앨범 1만장 발매 이틀만에 '완판' [B.A.P’s debut album ‘Warrior’ sells 10,000 copies in 2 days]". TV Report. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Suk, Monica (2012-02-27). "B.A.P to go on stage with follow-up song in March". 10asiae News. 10asiae (ⓒ 10아시아 ). Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "The 6 ‘Warriors’ of B.A.P will be making a comeback next week!". Allkpop. 6theory Media). 2012-04-16. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "B.A.P. releases teaser for "POWER"". Allkpop. 6theory Media). 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "B.A.P releases video teaser for "One Shot"". allkpop. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- "B.A.P releases mini album + 7-minute long MV for "One Shot"". allkpop. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Billboard World Albums: March 2, 2013, Billboard
- "B.A.P releases album cover + tracklist for 'BADMAN'". Allkpop. July 28, 2013. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- King Records staff (July 26, 2013). "(B.A.P) Japan 1st single "Warrior" out October 9th". King Records. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- KpopStarz (January 15, 2014). "BAP Ready For a Comeback With 1st Full-Length Album 'First Sensibility'". KpopStarz. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Yun Seong Yeol (2012-02-16). "New boy group B.A.P says, "We want to conquer the earth!" (Interview)". Star News. STARNEWS. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- "B.A.P is determined to conquer the world with their music". Allkpop. 6theory Media. 2012-02-02. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- (Korean)Hwang Mi-Hyeon (2012-02-06). "B.A.P "지구정복! 결코 헛된 꿈이 아니랍니다"[인터뷰" [B.A.P is determined to conquer the world with their music]. OSEN. Intigram. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- (Korean) "2012년 4월호 ELLE Girl - B.A.P" [Elle Magazine Korea April Edition, B.A.P Interview]. Daum News. Daum Communications. 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "Artist Search - B.A.P, Profile". KBS World. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Exclusive interview with Bang & Zelo!". Daily Kpop News. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-09). "(INTERVIEW) B.A.P Bang Yong-guk, Him Chan". 10asia. ⓒ 10아시아. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "B.A.P’s Himchan revealed to be a graduate of top tier arts schools". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- (Korean) Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-07). "B.A.P - My name is 영재, 대현". 10asia News. 10asiae. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- (Korean) Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-07). "B.A.P - My name is 젤로, 종업". 10asia News. 10asiae. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- "BAP members are fan of Jay Park". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to B.A.P.|