B. B. Kahane
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2014)|
November 30, 1891|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Died||September 18, 1960
Las Vegas, Nevada
|Education||Kent College of Law|
After graduating from the Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1912, Kahane practiced several years as a lawyer. He entered the motion picture industry in 1919, he first worked as a consultant in legal matters and was promoted to general counsel, secretary and treasurer and member of the Orpheum Circuit, Inc.
When the Orpheum Circuit amalgamated with Keith-Albee in November 1928, he became secretary and treasurer of Radio-Keith-Orpheum. In April 1932 he became vice-president of RKO and president of RKO-Studios, Inc. and RKO Pathé Pictures Inc., in active charge of RKO Studios. Serving first as executive film producer, for the film A Women Rebels, 1936) with Katharine Hepburn.
He later resigned from RKO in August 1936, and joined Columbia as vice-president in 1938 and produced Charles Vidor's The Lady in Question (1940), the first joint film of Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford.
In 1959 he was elected president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. He held this office until his death the following year.
- Love on a Bet (1936)
- A Women Rebels (1936)
- There's That Woman Again (1939)
- Those High Grey Walls (1939)
- The Lady in Question (film) (1940)
- Her First Beau (1941)
- 1957: Mr. Kahane received the Oscar Academy Honorary Award for distinguished service to the motion picture industry.
- "Academy Award Statistics". Official Academy Awards Database. Accessed February 1, 2014.
- "Honorary Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, oscars.org (official website). Accessed February 1, 2014. (2 pages.)
- "Honorary Awards: Special Awards and Honorary Awards". Searchable Awards Database. Official Academy Awards Database. Accessed February 1, 2014.
- Benjamin B. Kahane In: William R. Denslow, Foreword by Harry S. Truman: 10,000 Famous Freemasons" Volume III, K - P, Published by Macoy Publishing Inc., Richmond, Virginia, Publishing, 1957-2004, p 1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to B. B. Kahane.|
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences – Official Website
- MPPDA - Official Website
- The Official Academy Awards Database
- B. B. Kahane at the Internet Movie Database
|Non-profit organization positions|
|President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences