B. L. S. Prakasa Rao
|B. L. S. Prakasa Rao|
|Born||October 6, 1942|
|Alma mater||Michigan State University
Indian Statistical Institute
|Doctoral advisor||Herman Rubin|
|Notable awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award(1982)
Outstanding Alumni Award, Michigan State University (1996)
P V Sukhatme Prize(2008)
Bhagavatula Lakshmi Surya Prakasa Rao is an Indian statistician. He was born on October 6, 1942 in Porumamilla, Andhra Pradesh. He completed his B.A. (Honours) course in Mathematics from Andhra University in 1960 and moved to the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, where he completed his M.Stat in Statistics in 1962. He completed his Ph.D in Statistics in 1966 from Michigan State University under Herman Rubin father of Arthur Rubin. He won the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in Mathematical Science in 1982 and the Outstanding Alumni award from Michigan State University in 1996.
He worked at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in the beginning of his career and later moved to Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi. He was a Distinguished Scientist and Director of Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata from 1992 to 1995. He also held visiting professorship at the University of California, Berkeley, University of Illinois, University of Wisconsin, Purdue University, University of California, Davis and University of Iowa. He was the Jawaharlal Nehru, and Dr. Homi J. Bhabha Chair Professor at the University of Hyderabad in 2006-08, and 2008–12, respectively. He is currently an Emeritus Professor at the Indian Statistical Institute and the Ramanujan Chair Professor at CR Rao Advanced Institute of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science in University of Hyderabad campus.
Among the books he has authored are:
- Associated Sequences, Demimartingales and Nonparametric Inference, Birkhauser, Springer, Basel (2012), ix +272 pp.
- Statistical Inference for Fractional Diffusion Processes, John Wiley, Chichester (2010). xii +252 pp.
- A First Course in Probability and Statistics, World Scientific, Singapore,(2009). Reprinted by Cambridge University Press Indian Private Limited, Delhi (2010), xii + 317pp.
- Statistical Inference for Diffusion Type Processes, Arnold, London and Oxford University press, New York (1999), xvi+ 349pp.
- Semimartingales and Their Statistical Inference, Chapman and Hall, London and CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida (1999), xi+532 pp.
- Statistics and Probability : A Raghu Raj Bahadur Festschrift (Edited by Jayanta Kumar Ghosh, S. K. Mitra, K. R. Parthasarathy, B. L. S. Prakasa Rao) Wiley Eastern, New Delhi (1993). ix + 564 pp.
- Identifiability in Stochastic Models: Characterization of Probability Distributions, Academic Press, Cambridge Mass. (1992). xiii + 253 pp.
- Asymptotic Theory of Statistical inference, Wiley, New York (1987). Reprinted by World Publishing Corporation, Beijing, China (1990). xiv + 438 pp.
- Non-Parametric Functional Estimation, Academic Press, Orlando, Florida (1983). xiv + 522 pp.