|Successor||T. S. Kanaka Prasad|
|Born||28 September 1944
Ramayampet, Medak Dist, Andhra Pradesh
Badda Peter Sugandhar (B. P. Sugandhar; known as Peter) was the fifth successor of Frank Whittaker as Bishop in Medak in the Church of South India (CSI). He was consecrated by Vasant P. Dandin, the then Moderator of the CSI in the Cathedral in Medak in September 1993.
He was an office-bearer of the Andhra Pradesh Federation of Churches, (APFC) a society that incorporates bishops of the Roman Catholic, Protestant, and Indigenous Church traditions and whose members strive for ecumenism.
Divinity and pastorship
At the United Theological College, the only autonomous college under the Senate of Serampore College, in Bangalore Sugandhar took a BD degree. After graduation, the Diocese of Medak of the Church of South India posted him to churches in Ramayampet, Yellareddy, Utnoor, Bellampally, Medak and Secunderabad.
He served as Presbyter-in-charge at the Church of St. John the Baptist, Secunderabad before being consecrated as the Bishop in Medak. Although a Resident Presbyter has been appointed in that Church, Sugandhar continued to be the Presbyter-in-charge of the Church of St. John the Baptist till the end of his bishopric.
When Victor Premasagar's tenure as Bishop of Medak came to an end in 1992, the Synod of the CSI declared Sugandhar as his successor.
The 27th and 28th Synods of the CSI voted to elect the bishop as the Deputy Moderator of the CSI. During the 29th Synod of the CSI held in Bangalore from 10 to 14 January 2004, Sugandhar was elected as Moderator of the CSI replacing his predecessor Dr. K. J. Samuel. Subsequently, in the 30th Synod held in Mysore, he was re-elected as the Moderator.
Bishop Sugandhar served as the Vice-President of the Andhra Pradesh Auxiliary of the Bible Society of India. He provided leadership to the educational and other institutions in his diocese. He was also on the governing board of the following colleges, viz.:
Both colleges are affiliated to the Senate of Serampore College (University) which is India's first University.
- Lambeth Conference 1998.
- Representative in the Council of Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore
- Delegate for the EMS Mission Council.
- President, CSI Council of North America
- Anglican Participant, The Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity and the Anglican Communion Office
While Sugandhar is well known as an administrator, he also has written several works. For the festschrift commemorating the shastipoorthi (completion of sixty years) of his predecessor, Victor Premasagar, he wrote an essay which appears in the book "The Church on the move
The Throne of Grace Theological Seminary and Ministries Inc. (International), Hyderabad conferred the degree of D.Min. on the Bishop. The degrees issued by this unaccredited seminary are only nominal.
- Church of St. John the Baptist, Official Site
- Conference of Catholic Bishops of India, Official Web Site
- The Times of India Bangalore, 15 January 2004
- Net India 123 Bishop Gladstone New CSI Moderator, 13 January 2008, Visakhapatnam
- Christian Medical College – List of Authorized Signatories
- Minutes of the EMS Mission Council November 07/08, and 10 to 12, 2002 in Neustadt / Palatinate
- CSI Newsletter Vol. 7 / Issue 29 / 25 August 2005
- The Mississauga Meeting The Vatican, the Roman Curia, Pontifical Councils, 19 May 2000
- Edited by H.S. Wilson, The Christian Literature Society, 1988
- Merging Currents, Inc.: Books on Christianity in India, Hinduism and Indian culture and history
- Throne of Grace Ministries
- However, the said Seminary is neither accredited by nor affiliated to any Indian Accrediting Agency or University. Neither is it accredited by any foreign agency. It is only the AEGA which is affiliated to the Evangel Christian University of America which in turn was accredited by Transworld Accrediting Commission with base in California
P. Victor Premasagar
|Bishop in Medak Church of South India, Diocese of Medak Medak
September 1993 – September 2009
T. S. Kanaka Prasad
K. J. Samuel
|Deputy Moderator Synod of Church of South India, Chennai
January 2000 – January 2004
S. Vasantha Kumar
K. J. Samuel
|Moderator Synod of Church of South India, Chennai
January 2004 – January 2008
J. W. Gladstone