B. R. Shetty
|Bavaguthu Raghuram Shambhu Shetty|
Dr. B . R. Shetty
(now in Udupi District, Karnataka, India)
|Residence||100, 140, Burj Khalifa, Dubai,
United Arab Emirates
|Occupation||C.E.O & M.D. of New Medical Centre|
|Net worth||US$ 540 million (2012)|
Lineage : Nagavanshi
|Spouse(s)||Smt. Chandrakumari Shetty|
|Awards||Pravasi Bharatiya Samman (2007)
Bavaguthu Raghuram Shetty, better known as B R Shetty, is Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director of the Abu Dhabi based New Medical Centre Group of Companies and UAE Exchange. The company when established in 1975 was initially interested in hospitals and hospitality, but since then has diversified into sectors including pharmaceuticals, global financial services, retail, advertising and Information technology.
Born in a Bunt family to Shambhu Shetty and Koosamma Shetty. The Shettys hailed from the Bavaguthu clan who were among the biggest landlords in Kaup, Udupi district, Karnataka, India.Completing his early education in his native India. B R Shetty is a trained pharmacist. He married Chandra Kumari Shetty and has three daughters and a son.
Indian-born B R Shetty arrived in the UAE in 1973. As a trained pharmacist he quickly spotted an opportunity in the country’s healthcare sector and in 1n the UAE following the acquisition of the National Hospital in Abu Dhabi. Today, it has hospitals and clinics across the Emirates and treats more than one million patients a year.
In addition to its hospitals and clinics the NMC Group has a string of diversified business interests covering financial services, trading in pharmaceuticals, education and advertising.
In addition to his business activities, Shetty is also involved in several philanthropic activities. He was an investor in a medical institution in the north Indian state of Uttaranchal, is the founder and patron of the Indian Pharmaceutical Association in the emirates, and is a member of the Advisory Board (Financial Sector), Economic Department, Government of Dubai, UAE and the Pharmaceutical Committee, Dubai. He is also the chairman of Abu Dhabi Indian School, Abu Dhabi.
Awards and recognition
- Pinto, Stanley G. (6 January 2010). "NRI spends Rs 114 cr for two floors at Burj Dubai". The Economic Times. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "India Rich List 2012 Newcomers". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- claude, fernandes. "B R Shetty mangalorean star 2005 Mangalorean.com".
- "Indian Rich List in Full". Arabian Business.com. Archived from the original on 17 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- "Expat Power List". arabian business.com.
- Times News Network (9 January 2007). "The recipients of Pravasi Bharatiya Samman". Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "New Delhi : B R Shetty among Padma Awardees". Daijiworld Media.
- "Padma Shri awardees". india.gov.in.
- "B R Shetty gets padma award". Khaleej Times.