B. S. Abdur Rahman
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015)|
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2015)|
|B. S. Abdur Rahman|
|Native name||عبد الرحمن
புஹாரி சையத் அப்துர் ரஹ்மான்
|Born||Buhari Syed Abdur Rahman
15 October 1927
Kilakarai, Madras State, British India (now Tamil Nadu, India)
|Died||7 January 2015
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Other names||Sena Aana, House of Buhari|
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, philanthropist, builder, educationist|
|Known for||Founder Chancellor of B. S. Abdur Rahman University
Founder of Emirates Trading Agency
(ETA Ascon Star Group)
Founder of Star Health and Allied Insurance
Founder of West Asia Maritime
Founder of Amana Investments
Founder of East Coast Constructions and Industries
|Children||Arif Buhari Rahman
Abdul Qadir Buhari
Ahmed Buhari Rahman
Ashraf Buhari Rahman
Buhari Syed Abdur Rahman (15 October 1927 – 7 January 2015) was an Indian serial entrepreneur, philanthropist and educationist. He had a range of business interests in the UAE and India (in Tamil Nadu) including maritime shipping, real estate, insurance etc. He founded numerous schools, colleges, hospitals and university. He was one of the 24 Indians to feature in The 500 Most Influential Muslims, an annual publication which ranks the most influential Muslims in the world.
Abdur Rahman was the Vice-chairman of Emirates Trading Agency (commonly known as ETA Star & Ascon group), a Dubai-based conglomerate from 1973 to 2015. He is the founder of B. S. Abdur Rahman University (earlier named Crescent Engineering College), one of the first private owned engineering colleges in Chennai. He was the Chairman of East Coast Constructions & Industries Pvt. Ltd, West Asia Exports & Imports Pvt. Ltd, West Asia Maritime Ltd., Buhari Group, Amana Investments Ltd in HongKong and Transcar India. He was also the Vice-Chairman of Coal & Oil LLC & Coastal Energy Ltd. He founded India's first standalone health insurer Star Health and Allied Insurance with the help of Oman Insurance Company.
East Coast Constructions and Industries that Abdur Rahman founded in 1962, has been responsible for several landmarks in Chennai including Gemini flyover, Kodambakkam flyover, M. A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chepauk, Valluvar Kottam, the Marina Lighthouse and the Apollo Hospital complex in Greams Road. He died on 7 January 2015 at the age of 87.
Abdur Rahman has pursued a number of philanthropic endeavors, donating large amounts of money to various charitable organisations and concentrates on upliftment of economically weaker sections through the Seethakathi Trust & Zakaat Fund Foundation.
B. S. Abdur Rahman was born in Kilakarai, Tamil Nadu, India, in an middle-class family, the son of Bhukari Aalim. His father was a prominent Pearl Trader in South Asia. He completed his Secondary School Level from Schwartz School, Ramanathapuram & Hameedia High School, Kilakarai. He is blessed with four sons and two daughters. He starts his business in Srilankha with his elder brother Abdul Cader prominently called as Thaika Vapa in Tamil Nadu. He had a sister and afer her accidental death B.S. Abdul Rahman started a Women's College in his sister's name Thaseem Beevi Abdul Cader Women's College in his home town. He had started so many schools and colleges in Tamil Nadu.
At the age of fifteen, Abdur Rahman first went to Colombo with just Indian Rupees 149 (USD 2.5). He worked as an errand boy for diamond merchants, carrying their diamonds and other gems from sellers to buyers and back. He was at the time staying with some traders from Kilakarai and neighbouring villages. They allowed him to stay with them without any payment, but he had, instead, to fetch tea for them from a nearby hotel, clean the rooms and perform other menial tasks.
A lesser person perhaps would have thrown in the towel. But Sena Aana was made of sterner stuff. Before long, he used his persuasive skills to obtain gemstones from another merchant and began trading in them. In time he became a successful gem trader. The base that Abdur Rahman built in Ceylon was to help him in all his future activities.
He began visiting Belgium, then as now, a centre of the gem trade, the USA, South America and set up business in Penang, Malaysia, Madras (now Chennai), Kolkata (then Calcutta), and then in Hong Kong. It was in Hong Kong that his business flourished. Incidentally, Abdur Rahman was the first person from Kilakarai to go to Hong Kong.
In Hong Kong he launched the Precious Trading Company in 1954. Later, his very special brainchild, the Amana Group of Hong Kong, was established. It was under its banner that the multi-national company ETA-ASCON came into existence. It was started in Dubai in 1973 as a partnership with a friend, Abdullah Al-Ghurair, Chairman of the Al Ghurair group of companies. Started originally as civil construction contractors, ETA-ASCON has expanded into trading, elevator and electrical installations, real estate, mechanical engineering, building maintenance, car dealerships, and, most recently, shipping and aviation. It employs over 54,000 people across 16 industry verticals. ETA-ASCON is today the flagship of Abdur Rahman's vast industrial empire.
East Coast Constructions and Industries that Abdur Rahman founded in 1962, has been responsible for several landmarks in Chennai including Gemini flyover (first flyover in Chennai and third in India), Kodambakkam flyover, M. A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chepauk, Valluvar Kottam, Anna Nagar Tower Park, Government General Hospital, Marina Lighthouse, Raheja Towers and the Chennai Citi Centre. There are several other major constructions by ECCI in other parts of the state.
Contribution in education
He feels that education is the key that opens the solutions to the socio economic problems of the society. Hence he founded the following Institutions through which all his Educational & Literacy activities are carried out.
- The Seethakathi Trust
- All India Islamic Foundation
- B.S. Abdur Rahman University
- Islamic Studies & Cultural Centre
- B.S.Abdur Rahman Zakat Foundation Trust
Apart from ETA, Abdur Rahman held the following positions in other companies:
- Chairman, Buhari Holding (P) Ltd, Chennai
- Chairman, ABR Enterprises (P) Ltd, Chennai
- Chairman, West Asia Maritime Ltd, Chennai
- Chairman, West Asia Exports & Imports Pvt Ltd, Chennai
- Chairman, East Coast Constructions & Industries (P) Ltd, Chennai
- Chairman, Sethu Investments Pvt Ltd, Chennai
Youth welfare activities
Abdur Rahman feels that a sound mind in a sound body is a healthy trend of development of the youth in this country. Hence much importance is being given to NSS, NCC, Scouts and other youth activities in all his institutions. Hence to promote sports activities and to imbibe sports culture in the minds of youngsters, he constructed and donated a stadium with all facilities for indoor games, gymnasium and a gallery to Tamil Nadu Govt. under the purview of Sports Authority of Tamil Nadu during 1997. The stadium was inaugurated by Prof. A Anbazhagan, Hon’ble Minister of Education, Govt. of Tamil Nadu, in the presence of Shri. Dhanushkodi Athithan R, Minister of State, (Department of Youth Aftouch of communal harmony in the minds of the people.
Economical support works
Abdur Rahman is the founder of UNITED ECONOMIC FORUM through which he has organized number of economic development activities and encouraged social work.
Abdur Rahman has founded and financially aided the following Orphanages.
- Al-Mumin Seethakathi Children Home, Sakkaraikottai, Ramanathapuram District
- Al-Mumin Umar Pulavar Children Hoome, Ottapidaram, V.O.C. District
- Al-Mumin Shahul Hameed (Wali) Children Home, Thanjavur, Thanjavur District
- Al-Mumin K.T.M.S. Hamid Children Home (Girls), Kilakarai, Ramnad District.
- Al-Mumin Malik Dinar Children Home (Girls), Thiruvithancode.
Awards and honours
- Shivakumar S. (29 July 2006). "Mr. B.S Abdur Rahman – One Man, Many Missions". Gulf Today (Nellaieruvadi.com).
- "Syed M. Salahuddin, Managing Director, ETA Ascon Star Group, awarded the Asian Business Award Middle East for 2007". indiaprwire.com. 17 December 2007.
- . business-standard.com. 20 April 2010 http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/eta-ascon-in-talks-with-pe-investors-110042000046_1.html. Missing or empty
- BSA family
- John L. Esposito, Ibrahim Kalın, Usra Ghazi, Prince Alwaleed Center for Muslim–Christian Understanding. The 500 Most Influential Muslims. Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, Createspace. ISBN 978-9957-428-37-2.
- "World’s 500 ‘Most Influential Muslims’: 24 Indians in the list; Mufti Akhtar Raza Khan, Mahmood Madani in first 50". Two circles.net. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Madras miscellaney". The Hindu. 5 November 2001. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "An Era Ends With B S Abdur Rahman's Death". The New Indian Express. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "பிரபல கல்வியாளர், தொழிலதிபர் பி.எஸ். அப்துர் ரஹ்மான் சென்னையில் காலமானார்". Oneindia.in. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- BS Abdur Rahman died in the hospital he built
- "Buhari Holding". Buhariholding.com. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Honorary Doctorate by Sathyabama University". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- ETA Ascon Star Group
- Thassim Beevi Abdul Kader College for Women
- Crescent Matriculation Higher Secondary School for Girls
- Crescent Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- B.S.Abdur Rahman Zakaat Fund Foundation
- Kilakarai Bukhari Aalim Arabic College
- B.S. Abdur Rahman
- ABR Enterprises
- Buhari Holding
- Profile of B.S. Abdur Rahman
- B.S. Abdur Rahman University
- India Islamic Culture Centre
- Seethakathi Of The 20th Century
- Kayalpatnam Medical Trust Hospital
- East Coast Construction Industries Limited
- BSA Book Release Function Video
- Buhari Holdings Private Limited
- West Asia Maritime Ltd
- Coal & Oil LLC