||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
27 September 1963 |
|Residence||Kochi, Kerala, India|
Sandhya is born to S. Bharathadas and V.L Karthyayani Amma at Palai in Kottayam District, Kerala. She is married to Dr. K. Madhukumar, Controller of Examination,University of Kerala and has a daughter.
She trained in Human Resources Management from Wollongong University, Australia in 1998 and passed the PGDBA from Pondicherry University in 1999. In 2005, she earned her PhD from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani. Her dissertation was entitled "The Accessibility of Women to the Criminal Justice System and Customer Orientation of Police Personnel Towards Women".
Sandhya joined the Indian Police Service, after passing the Indian Civil Services Examination in 1988. She served as Assistant Superintendent of Police, Shornur, Joint Superintendent of Police, Alathur, Superintendent of Police, CBCID, Kannur, District Superintendent of Police, Kollam and Thrissur, Asst. Inspector General of Police, Headquarters, Thiruvananthapuram, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Crime Investigation, Southern Range, Thiruvananthapuram. Sandhya holds the post of Additional Director General of Police.
In 2010, the International Association of Women Police (IAWP), based in the USA, awarded Sandhya the International Scholarship of Distinction. In 2006, the Kerala Police awarded Sandhya the President’s Police Medal for Meritorious Service. Her novel Neelakoduveliyude Kavalkkari won the Edasseri Award in 2007.
Sandhya has published five books of literature and several research papers in police science. In addition, Sandhya edited Impressions, a Short History of Kerala Police, published by the Director General of Police, Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram. She also conceptualised a website, Kerala Police History
- Tharattu (Collection of Poems for Children) published by Saindhava Books, Kollam - 1999. The cover picture for the first and third editions of Tharattu were done by the author.
- Sthree Sakthi (on Women Empowerment) published by the Kerala State Literacy Mission, Kerala - 2000
- Balavadi (Collection of Poems for Children) published by the State Institute of Children's Literature - 2001
- Ranthal Vilakku (Collection of Poems) published by Current Books, Kottayam - 2002
- Neermaruthile Uppan (Collection of poems) published by Saindhava Books, Kollam - 2004. The illustrations and cover design for Neermaruthile Uppan were done by the author.
- Neelakkoduveliyude Kavalkkari, serialized novel published in Samakalina Malayalam Weekly, in 2004-2005.
- "2010 Award Recipients". International Association of Women Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- India eNews
- "News Archive". Kerala Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Influence of Janamaithri Suraksha Project on the Communities". Kerala Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Police Medal Winners". Kerala Police. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "KPA expects changes in police force". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 14 June 2006.
- "Colour of poetry". The Hindu.