BAND is a social networking mobile application for groups, for the iOS and Android platforms. Users can divide their acquaintances into different groups and share different content with different groups, such as close friends, families, colleagues, club members and classmates. As of April 2014, the number of registered users surpassed 30 million.
About the company
BAND was developed by Camp Mobile which specializes in mobile application development and distribution. Camp Mobile was founded on March 1, 2013, as a spin-off from Naver Corporation, which operates a portal site, Naver.com, in South Korea.
The main features of BAND include messaging board, album, calendar, and chat. Only invited members can join the BAND or one can create own BAND and invite members and each BAND cannot be searched by third parties.
Key functions of each feature are;
- Board: Messages can be posted in a time-line format which includes poll function to help out to reach particular decisions where photos (including GIF) or videos can be added. Messages on the board shows by the most recent dates but an invitee can check previous posting by scrolling down or by search.  Multimedia file can be shared including photos and MS office formatted files can be previewed directly.
- Photo Album: Photos can be archived and shared with the very BAND members and categorized in separate albums. 100 photos can be uploaded at a time.
- Calendar: This smartphone integrated group calendar enables users to save all important dates, birthdays, anniversaries and planned meetings. When registering events, one can enable RSVP allowing members to confirm the attendance in advance.
- Members: Manages new invitations and shows who is in the BAND. Also works as an address book. Invitations can be made via text or other chat platforms and easy sign up using Facebook account.
- Chat: Allows one on one or one on many chats like any other Instant messaging applications. One can choose a certain member or the entire BAND members to chat.
BAND adopted familiar interface from existing social networking services such as Path or Facebook  but it allows separate group management with which users can create multiple Bands according to the nature of each group such as family members, closer friends, colleagues to name a few. To begin with signing-up, it requires user information to the minimal level; date of birth, name and a verifiable phone number. Then groups can be created in a form of BAND, note book shaped icon, where one can name the BAND as well as customizing the cover and ribbon color. Once a BAND is created, invitations can be made via Facebook, LINE, SMS, Wechat, Whatsapp, URL or QR code. For non-smartphone users, PC version (www.band.us) is also available which provides same features as the mobile application. In addition to private users, BAND can be used for organizational users such as companies, schools, alumni associations, church and other organizations that require group communication. A single BAND can contain up to 1,000 people making it more convenient forming large groups and management. BAND will launch a gaming platform available from late April allowing users to play and compete games together.
- "Naver unit may promote Band in US". Telecom Paper. 25 March 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Russell, John. "Line, the 100m-user Asian chat app, spawns a private mobile social network to rival Facebook". Mobile World Congress. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Thornton, James. "Fun way to interact with different groups of friends and contacts". Softonic. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Fattah, Saim. "12 Private Social Networking Apps for the Discreet User". App Storm. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Yeon, Jehyun (9 May 2014). Korea IT Times http://www.koreaittimes.com/story/36807/band-breaks-30-mil-mark-cumulative-downloads
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- Woo, Raymond (23 December 2013). "BAND achieves 20 million downloads and 2 billion monthly sessions worldwide". Ipress. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Kim, Young-won (28 March 2014). "Naver to promote Band mobile service in U.S.". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Park, Jiwon (9 February 2014). "http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2014/02/123_151249.html". The Korea Times. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Manho, Won. "Camp Mobile". Crunch Base. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Singh, Ajit. "Group App for Android Users to Create Private Social Networks". I Love Free Software. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Questions while using BAND? Here comes solutions!". Word Press. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Hype, Malaysia (22 February 2013). "LINE BAND: The Private Mobile FB-Like App". Hype Malaysia. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "2.0 UPDATE ! The read deal is here!". Word Press. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Russell, Jon (20 February 2013). "Line, the 100m-user Asian chat app, spawns a private mobile social network to rival Facebook". The Next Web. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "3.0 Update, Faster and Stronger than ever! 03/28/2014". Word Press. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Millward, Steven (July 31, 2013). "Line Hunts Down Path As ‘Line Band’ App Surpasses 15 Million Downloads". TechinAsia. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Hype, Malaysia (12 February 2013). "BAND: The Private Mobile FB-Like App". Hype Malaysia. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Band Official Page". Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- Ko, Dong-hwan (31 March 2014). "Naver Band trips rival Kakao with new gaming platform for smartphones". The Korea Times. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Official Site: BAND
- Official Site: Camp Mobile
- Official Site: Naver Corp
- BAND Official Facebook
- BAND Official Twitter
- BAND Official Blog