|BEL20 performance between 1990 and 2012|
|Foundation||30 December 1990|
|Market cap||€214.18 billion (end 2010)|
The BEL20 is the benchmark stock market index of Euronext Brussels. In general, the index consists of a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 20 companies traded at the Brussels Stock Exchange. Since 20 June 2011, the BEL20 has contained 20 listings.
The composition of the BEL20 index is reviewed annually based on closing prices at the end of the calendar year. These changes are effected on the first trading day of every March. In addition to meeting a set of criteria demanding a company be "representative of the Belgian equity market", at least 15% of its shares must be considered free float in order to qualify for the index. In addition, a candidate for inclusion must possess a free float market capitalisation (in Euros) of at least 300000 times the price of the index on the last trading day of December. The minimum requirement for an existing constituent to remain in the index is a market cap of 200000 times the index value. At each annual review, the weights of companies in the index are capped at 15%, but range freely with share price subsequently. The BEL20 is a market value-weighted index.
The following 20 stocks make up the BEL20 in January 2013.
|Company||ICB Sector||Ticker symbol||Index weighting (%)|
|Ackermans & van Haaren||diversified industrials||ACKB||2.07|
|Befimmo-Sicafi||industrial and office REITs||BEFB||1.06|
|Belgacom||fixed line telecommunications||BELG||4.11|
|Cofinimmo||industrial and office REITs||COFB||1.93|
|Colruyt||food retailers and wholesalers||COLR||3.88|
|Delhaize Group||food retailers and wholesalers||DELB||5.95|
|Elia System Operator||electricity||ELI||1.21|
|GDF Suez||gas distribution||GSZ||13.47|
|Telenet Group||broadcasting and entertainment||TNET||2.90|
- ^1 - Weightings accurate on 16 April 2013.
Former companies in the BEL20
|This section requires expansion with: list. (December 2007)|
|Company||ICB Sector||Ticker symbol||Removal Date|
|Almanij||banks||ALMB||3 March 2005|
|Electrabel||electricity||ELE||15 November 2005|
|Barco||electronic equipment||BAR||1 March 2007|
|Agfa-Gevaert||electronic equipment||AGFB||2 March 2009|
|NPM/CNP||specialty finance||NAT||2 May 2011|
|Omega Pharma||pharmaceuticals||OME||29 December 2011|
|Dexia||banks||DEXB||19 March 2012|
- "BEL-20 Executive Presentation 2010". Euronext. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Rules for the BEL 20-Index" (PDF). Euronext. August 2006. Retrieved 30 November 2007.
- "BEL20: KBC-Almanij Merger" (PDF). Euronext. Retrieved 30 November 2007.
- "Suez replaces Electrabel in the BEL20 Index" (PDF). Euronext. Retrieved 4 December 2007.
- "Annual review of the BEL20 Index" (PDF). Euronext. 15 January 2007. Retrieved 30 November 2007.
- "Annual review of BEL20 index". Euronext. 31 May 2011. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "Index Announcement". NYSE Euronext. 29 April 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Omega Pharma verdwijnt uit Bel20 na geslaagd bod Marc Coucke". Trends (in Dutch). 27 December 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Dexia valt uit Bel20'". De Standaard (in Dutch). 01/02/2012. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Bloomberg page for BEL20:IND
- Official BEL20 composition and prices from Euronext
- BEL20 Rule book
- Reuters page for .BFX