BETT 2013 logo
|Other names||BETT show, British Educational Training and Technology Show|
|Location||ExCeL Centre, London|
|Date(s)||30 January - 2 February 2013|
BETT or The BETT show (formerly known as the British Educational Training and Technology Show) is an annual trade show in the United Kingdom that showcases the use of information technology in education. Founded in 1985, it has expanded to fill both the National and Grand Halls at the Olympia exhibition centre in London, England, with the result that from 2013 it will move to the ExCeL Centre in London's Docklands. BETT celebrated its 25th anniversary at the 2009 show.
The show was first held in January 1985 as the “Hi Technology and Computers in Education Exhibition” at the Barbican Centre, central London, in association with the British Educational Equipment Association. As the use of technology in education increased, so did the show, and had outgrown the Barbican by 1993, when the move to Olympia was made.
The show has also expanded from being a purely technology show, and whilst there are stands for companies ranging from multinationals Microsoft and Apple Inc. to small single-product firms, others attending include the Department for Children, Schools and Families, and teaching unions such as the NASUWT and National Union of Teachers.
BETT attracts around 30,000 visitors from over 100 different countries including school leaders and practitioners as well as ICT Frontline staff with an average annual budget of £46,238. Around 700 technology companies who market to schools, colleges and education establishments exhibit at the show.
A large number of seminars from well-known providers are held at BETT, which offer training (Continuing Professional Development) opportunities for education professionals.
Criticised in the past for perhaps marginalising teachers due to the increasing business nature of the show, the producers (EMAP) have introduced a number of teacher friendly events such as TeachMeet to tackle this.
- Adobe Systems
- Capita Group
- Cappelen Damm
- Channel 4 Learning
- Classroom Professor
- CORE ECS
- Genisys Enterprise
- Exa Networks Ltd
- Impero Software Solutions
- LJ Create
- NetSupport Software Ltd
- Norman ASA
- Pearson PLC
- Promethean Ltd
- Sammy Herring Enterprises
- Sherston Software
- Spire Education
- Smart Systems
- Smart Technologies
- Synergy School Radio
The BETT Awards are an annual celebration for the highest levels of achievement by compaines that exhibit at the BETT show and supply Information and Communications Technology (ICT) for education.
ICT Leadership and Management Solutions
- CSE Education Systems Ltd - Service Management
- Follett Corporation - Aspen
- Groupcall - Groupcall Messenger
- LCP Ltd - iTrack Primary
- ReportBox - ReportBox
- RM Education - RM Intelligence
- Teachers Media International - Teachers media online CPD service
Early Years Digital Content
- Busythings Ltd
- Early Vision Ltd
- Focus Education UK Ltd
- Ten Town Ltd
- The Usborne Foundation
Primary Digital Content
- Collins Education - Collins Big Cat Apps
- EducationCity.com - Primary Britannica from EducationCity.com
- Espresso Education - - Espresso Phonics
- Fiction Express - Fiction Express
- Film Education - Thinking Film, Thinking Primary Literacy
- Oxford University Press - ProjectX CODE
- Rising Stars - Switched on ICT for Key Stage 1
- Sherston Software - Planet Sherston
- Zulogic Ltd - Zu3D
ICT Company of the Year
- Bladetec Ltd
- Just2easy Ltd
- Schools ICT Ltd
- WIRIS Team @ Maths for More
Innovation in ICT
- Capita Group - SIMS Discover
- Firefly Solutions - Firefly Student Planner
- Groupcall Ltd - Groupcall Emerge
- Little Bridge World
- Oddizzi - ClassPals
- Pling Toys - The Magic Cloud
- Science Scope Ltd
- TeacherCentric Ltd
- ICT Tools for Learning and Teaching J2Webby - Just2easy
- Digital Collections and Resource Banks Oxford Owl - Oxford University Press
- ICT Leadership and Management Solutions - ParentMail
- ICT Special Educational Needs Solutions VOICEYE - Forcentenco
- Digital Devices Lumens DC120 Wireless Visualiser - Lumens Digital Optics Inc
- Early Years Digital Content ITV Baby Sign - ITV SignPost
- Primary Digital Content Oddizzi - Oddizzi
- Secondary Digital Content Twig Science - Twig World Ltd
- ICT Service and Support - Joskos Solutions
- ICT Exporter of the Year - EducationCity.com
- ICT Company of the Year - Between £1m and £3m Turnover Groupcall
- ICT Company of the Year - Less than £1m Turnover Radiowaves
- ICT Company of the Year - Over £3m Turnover Northgate Managed Services
- Innovation in ICT HapTEL Virtual Dental Chair - Kings College London, The Dental Institute
- Outstanding Achievement in ICT Education - Merlin John
- "History of BETT". EMAP. Retrieved 2009-09-03.[dead link]
- "BETT 2004 webcast". Teachernet. Department for Children, Schools and Families. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- "DCSF Company Profile". BETT. EMAP. Retrieved 2009-09-03.[dead link]
- "BETT 2010 Exhibitors". BETT. EMAP. Retrieved 2009-09-03.[dead link]
- "BETT 2009 Seminar Programme". eLearning Industry Association of Victoria. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- Davitt, John (2008-03-18). "Are teachers getting a fair deal?". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- Usher, Ian (2009-02-02). "TeachMeet09Bett". TeachMeet. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- "BETT Show Groupcall Limited". BETT Show. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "BETT Awards". BETT. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- "Press Release: Bett Awards 2013 Finalists Announced". Besa website. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "BETT 2012 Awards: the winners in the education market". zdnet.com website. Retrieved 23 August 2012.