Eclipse BIRT Report Designer
|Stable release||4.3.2 / February 28, 2014|
|Type||Enterprise Reporting / Business Intelligence|
|License||Eclipse Public License|
The Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) Project is an open source software project that provides reporting and business intelligence capabilities for rich client and web applications, especially those based on Java and Java EE. BIRT is a top-level software project within the Eclipse Foundation, an independent not-for-profit consortium of software industry vendors and an open source community.
The project's stated goals are to address a wide range of reporting needs within a typical application, ranging from operational or enterprise reporting to multi-dimensional online analytical processing (OLAP). Initially, the project has focused on and delivered capabilities that allow application developers to easily design and integrate reports into applications.
BIRT has two main components: a visual report designer within the Eclipse IDE for creating BIRT Reports, and a runtime component for generating reports that can be deployed to any Java environment. The BIRT project also includes a charting engine that is both fully integrated into the report designer and can be used standalone to integrate charts into an application.
The BIRT project was first proposed and sponsored by Actuate Corporation when Actuate joined the Eclipse Foundation as a Strategic Developer on August 24, 2004. The project was subsequently approved and became a top-level project within the Eclipse community on October 6, 2004 The project contributor community includes IBM, and Innovent Solutions.
In 2007 IBM's Tivoli Division adopted BIRT as the infrastructure for its Tivoli Common Reporting (TCR) product. TCR produces historical reports on Tivoli-managed IT resources and processes.
The initial project code base was designed and developed by Actuate beginning in early 2004 and donated to the Eclipse Foundation when the project was approved.
|1.0 Preview||March 1, 2005||Preview at EclipseCon 2005: Eclipse Report Designer, Report Engine, Chart Engine|
|1.0||June 6, 2005||Initial BIRT Report Designer, BIRT Report Engine, BIRT Chart Engine|
|1.0.1||July, 2005||Support for Eclipse 3.1; RCP version of BIRT Report Designer|
|2.0||January 23, 2006||Major release|
|2.0.1||February 22, 2006||Maintenance release|
|2.1||June 28, 2006||Major release as part of Eclipse Callisto Simultaneous Release|
|2.0.2||August 4, 2006||Maintenance release|
|2.1.1||September 26, 2006||Maintenance release|
|2.1.2||February 27, 2007||Maintenance release|
|2.1.3||July 5, 2007||Maintenance release|
|2.2||June 28, 2007||Major release as part of Eclipse Europa Simultaneous Release|
|2.2.1||October 2, 2007||Maintenance release|
|220.127.116.11||November 1, 2007||Maintenance release|
|2.2.2||February 27, 2008||Maintenance release|
|2.3||June 25, 2008||Major release as part of Eclipse Ganymede Simultaneous Release|
|2.3.1||September 24, 2008||"SR 1" Fall Maintenance release|
|2.3.2||February 25, 2009||"SR 2" Winter Maintenance release|
|2.5||June 24, 2009||Major release as part of Eclipse Galileo Simultaneous Release|
|2.5.1||September 25, 2009||"SR 1" Fall Maintenance release|
|2.5.2||February 28, 2010||"SR 2" Winter Maintenance release|
|2.6||June 24, 2010||Major release as part of Eclipse Helios Simultaneous Release|
|2.6.1||September 17, 2010||"SR 1" Fall Maintenance release|
|2.6.2||February 25, 2011||"SR 2" Spring Maintenance release|
|3.7||June 22, 2011||Major release as part of Eclipse Indigo Simultaneous Release|
|3.7.1||September 23, 2011||"SR 1" Fall Maintenance release|
|3.7.2||February 24, 2012||"SR 2" Maintenance release|
|4.2.0||June 27, 2012||Major release as part of Eclipse Juno Simultaneous Release|
|4.2.1||September 28, 2012||Maintenance release|
|4.2.2||February 22, 2013||Maintenance release|
|4.3||June 26, 2013||Major release as part of Eclipse Kepler Simultaneous Release|
|4.3.1||September 27, 2013||Maintenance release|
|4.3.2||February 28, 2014||Maintenance release|
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (December 2012)|
- "BIRT Project Description and Scope". Archived from the original on 4 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-27.
- "Actuate Joins Eclipse Foundation as Strategic Developer and Board Member". Press Release. Eclipse Foundation. 2004-08-24. Archived from the original on 9 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-27.
- "Eclipse Foundation and Actuate Announce Approval of Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools Project". Press Release. Eclipse Foundation. 2004-10-06. Retrieved 2007-05-27.
- BIRT 1.0.1 New and Notable
- BIRT 2.0 New and Notable
- BIRT 2.1 New and Notable
- BIRT 2.2 New and Notable
- BIRT 2.3 New and Notable
- BIRT 2.5 New and Notable
- BIRT 2.6 New and Notable
- BIRT 3.7 New and Notable
- BIRT 4.2 New and Notable
- BIRT 4.3 New and Notable
- Hague, Nola; Tatchell, Jane (July 27, 2008). BIRT: A Field Guide to Reporting (2nd ed.). Addison-Wesley Professional. p. 794. ISBN 0-321-58027-3.
- Weathersby, Jason; Bondur, Tom; Chatalbasheva, Iana; French, Don (July 28, 2008). Integrating and Extending BIRT (2nd ed.). Addison-Wesley Professional. p. 724. ISBN 0-321-58030-3.
- Ward, John (February 22, 2008). Practical Data Analysis and Reporting with BIRT (1st ed.). Packt Publishing. p. 312. ISBN 1-84719-109-6.
- Bappoo, Paul (March 23, 2010). BIRT for Beginners (1st ed.). Lulu. p. 241. ISBN 978-1-4457-4886-3.
- Eclipse BIRT project downloads
- Eclipse BIRT project home page
- BIRT Developer Center: Community site for sharing code, report designs, tips
- BIRTReporting.com: Forum and educational guides, news and tutorials on BIRT Reporting
- Tivoli Common Reporting home page