BMW 1 Series
|BMW 1 Series|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||American: Compact executive car
British: Small family car
|Successor||BMW 2 Series (for coupé/convertible)|
- BMW E87 (2004–2011): five-door hatchback
- BMW E81 (2007–2011): three-door hatchback
- BMW E82 (2007–2013): two-door coupe
- BMW E88 (2007–2014): two-door convertible
E81, E82, E87, E88
|BMW 1-Series (E87)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door coupe (E82)
2-door convertible (E88)
3-door hatchback (E81)
5-door hatchback (E87)
The first-generation BMW 1 Series is a small family car produced by the German automaker BMW since 2004, when it replaced the BMW 3 Series Compact range as the smallest and cheapest vehicle (depending on the engine model) in the BMW range. As of May 2013, the 3-door hatchback (model code E81) and 5-door hatchback (E87) have been superseded by the F20 and F21 models, however the 2-door coupe (E82) and the two-door convertible (E88) variants are still in production.
1 Series ActiveE
The BMW ActiveE is a demonstration electric car based on the BMW 1 Series small family cars. It is the second vehicle after the Mini E to be developed under BMW Group’s Project i. The electric drive system is the latest addition to BMW’s EfficientDynamics program. The US Environmental Protection Agency official range is 151 kilometres (94 mi), with an energy consumption of 33 kW·h/100 miles, and the agency rated the ActiveE's combined fuel economy at 2.3L/100 km (102 miles per gallon gasoline equivalent).
Deliveries of the ActiveE for field testing in the U.S. began in January 2012, after the Mini E trial ended. A total of 1,100 vehicles were produced participate in the program worldwide, with 700 allocated for the U.S. trial  and 35 for a trial in China. 
|BMW F20, F21|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||3-door hatchback (F21)
5-door hatchback (F20)
|Related||BMW 2 Series|
|Wheelbase||2,690 mm (105.9 in)|
|Length||4,324 mm (170.2 in)|
|Width||1,765 mm (69.5 in)|
|Height||1,421 mm (55.9 in)|
|Curb weight||1,360–1,590 kg (3,000–3,510 lb)|
The 2nd generation BMW 1 Series range comprises 3-door hatchback (model code F21) and 5-door hatchback (F20) models. Like its E87 predecessor, it uses a longitudinally-mounted engine, aluminum multi-link suspension and a rear-wheel drive chassis (however some models are available with all-wheel drive).
The F20 5-door hatchback was unveiled in 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show. and released later in 2011.
The M135i was named "The Sports Car of the Year 2012" by Top Gear.
- "BMW F21 1 Series 3 Doors 116i Engine Technical Data". Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- BMW N47 engine problem
- "The BMW Concept ActiveE: The next chapter in BMW’s project i Megacity Vehicle research initiative". BMW Press Release. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- John Voelcker (2012-01-18). "BMW ActiveE Electric Car First Drive: What's It Really Like?". Green Car Reports. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- Jim Motavalli (2012-01-12). "The Mini-E's True Believer Gets the Keys to the First BMW ActiveE". PluginCars. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- Tom Moloughney (2011-10-14). "First Drive: BMW ActiveE Electric Coupe". PluginCars.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Han Tianyang (2013-06-24). "BMW ActiveE Project starts in Beijing". China Daily. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- Sparks, Kenn (2013-12-16). "Groundbreaking ceremony for new BMW Group plant in Brazil". Press.BMWGroup.com. BMW Group. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "BMW Group PressClub Global". press.bmwgroup.com. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- BMW at the 64. International Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA 2011).
- Media related to BMW 1 Series at Wikimedia Commons
|« previous — BMW road car timeline, 1980s–present|
|1 Series||E82/ E88|
|E81 / E87||F20|
|Compact executive||3 Series||E21||E30||E36||E46||E90 / E91 / E92 / E93||F30|
|4 Series||F32 / F33 / F36|
|Executive||5 Series||E12||E28||E34||E39||E60 / E61||F10 / F11|
|Luxury||6 Series||E24||E63 / E64||F06 / F12 / F13|
|7 Series||E23||E32||E38||E65 / E66 / E67 / E68||F01 / F02 / F03 / F04|
|Roadster||Z Series||E30 (Z1)||E36/7 & E36/8 (Z3)||E85 / E86 (Z4)||E89 (Z4)|
|M||1 Series M||E82 M|
|M3||E30 M3||E36 M3||E46 M3||E90/92/93 M3||F80 M3|
|M5||E28 M5||E34 M5||E39 M5||E60/61 M5||F10 M5|
|M6||E24 M635CSi/M6||E63/64 M6||F06/F12/13 M6|
|M Roadster||E36/7 (Z3) M||E85 (Z4) M|
|M Coupé||E36/8 M Coupé||E86 M Coupé|
|Sports car||E26 (M1)||E52 (Z8)|
|X6||E71 / E72|