|Configuration||DOHC 90° V8|
The BMW M62 is a V8 DOHC piston engine which replaced the M60 and was produced from 1994-2005. Compared with its M60 predecessor, the M62 features Alusil cylinder liners (in markets where high sulphur fuel was sold) and a single row timing chain. In 1998, variable valve timing (called VANOS by BMW) was added to the M62.
The M62 is fitted with Sequential fuel injection and double overhead camshafts with 4 valves per cylinder. It also sports fracture-split forged connecting rods. Variable valve timing is fitted to the later "M62TU" variants.
|M62B35||358S1||3,498 cc (213 cu in)||173 kW (232 hp) @ 5700||320 N·m (236 lb·ft) @ 3300||6200||1996|
|M62TUB35||358S2||175 kW (235 hp) @ 5800||345 N·m (254 lb·ft) @ 3800||1998|
|180 kW (241 hp) @ 5800||345 N·m (254 lb·ft) @ 3800||1998|
|M62B44||448S1||4,398 cc (268 cu in)||210 kW (282 hp) @ 5700||420 N·m (310 lb·ft) @ 3900||6100||1996|
|M62TUB44||448S2||218 kW (292 hp) @ 5400||440 N·m (325 lb·ft) @ 3600||1998|
|M62B46||468S1||4,619 cc (282 cu in)||255 kW (342 hp) @ 5700||480 N·m (354 lb·ft) @ 3700||6500||2001|
|S62B50||508S1||4,941 cc (302 cu in)||294 kW (394 hp) @ 6600||500 N·m (369 lb·ft) @ 3800||7000||1998|
- 1999–2001 E38 735i/735iL (175 kW (235 hp) and 345 N·m (254 lb·ft) )
- 1998–2003 E39 535i (180 kW (241 hp) and 345 N·m (254 lb·ft) )
The M62B44 has a bore of 92 mm (3.6 in) and a stroke of 82.7 mm (3.26 in).
- 1998–2003 E39 540i
- 1999–2001 E38 740i/740iL
- 1999–2003 E53 X5 4.4i
- 2000–2004 Morgan Aero 8
- 2002–2005 Range Rover
The M62B46 is a (4,619 cc (282 cu in)) version producing 255 kW (347 PS; 342 hp) and 480 N·m (354 lb·ft) of torque. The stroke is 85 mm (3.3 in) and the bore is 93 mm (3.7 in). Technically this engine is similar to the M62TUB44, with double VANOS on both the intake cams and exhaust cams. This engine developed by Alpina is based on the M62TUB44.
The M62B48 is a (4,837 cc (295 cu in)) version producing 276 kW (375 PS; 370 hp) and 510 N·m (376 lb·ft) of torque. The stroke is 89 mm (3.5 in) and the bore is 93 mm (3.7 in). Technically this engine is similar to the M62TUB44, with double VANOS on both the intake cams and exhaust cams. This engine developed by Alpina is based on the M62B46.
The S62 engine (also known as S62B50) is a high-performance variant of the M62 which is fitted to the E39 M5 and E52 Z8. It is enlarged with a bore of 94 mm (3.7 in), a stroke of 89 mm (3.5 in) and a displacement of 4,941 cc (302 cu in). It shares its basic architecture, including aluminium block, with the M62 engines.
Eight individual throttle bodies (one per cylinder) control the airflow into the engine, these throttle bodies are electronically actuated (often referred to as "drive-by-wire"), with a setting for the driver to select "normal" or "sport" mode throttle response. Bosch Motronic version MSS 52 is used to control fuel injection, ignition timing and other functions.
Variable valve timing is used for both the intake and exhaust camshafts, the S62 was the first BMW V8 engine to incorporate this feature. The compression ratio is 11.0:1 and hollow camshafts are used. While the M62 engine uses a single-row timing chain, the S62 uses a double-row timing chain.
- "BMW World - Nikasil". Usautoparts.net. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "E30 BMW M62/M60 V8 Swap | RTS - Your Total BMW Enthusiast". Rtsauto.com. 2010-05-09. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "BMW m14 Engine". Bmwpower.co.za. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "BMW Heaven Specification Database | Engine specifications for M62 engines". Bmwheaven.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "BMW World - BMW S62 Engine". Usautoparts.net. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "BMW E39 M5". BMW M Cars. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "25 years of the BMW M5 review and pictures by evo". Evo.co.uk. 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "BMW Heaven Specification Database | Engine specifications for Motorsport engines". Bmwheaven.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/Tab_4_M62_Engine_X5.pdf M62TUB44 (Vanos version) engine specifications
|« previous — BMW road car engine timeline, 1980s-2000s — next »|
|4-cylinder petrol||<< M10||M40||M43||N40 / N42||N43 / N45 / N46 >>|
|6-cylinder petrol||<< M20||M50||M52||M54 / M56||N52||N53 >>|
|S50 / S52||S54|
|<< M88 / M90||S38|
|8-cylinder petrol||M60||M62||N62||N63 >>|
|12-cylinder petrol||M70||M73||N73||N74 >>|