BRE Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) is a voluntary measurement rating for green buildings that was established in the UK by the Building Research Establishment (BRE). Since its inception it has grown in scope and geographically, being exported in various guises across the globe. Its equivalents in other regions include LEED North America and Green Star in Australia.
BREEAM was established in 1990 as a tool to measure the sustainability of new non-domestic buildings in the UK. It has been updated regularly in line with UK building regulations and underwent a significant facelift on 1 August 2008, called BREEAM 2008.
Building types 
The standard covers these main building types:
- Specialised buildings assessed under the BREEAM Bespoke method
BREEAM 2008 
The main differences between BREEAM 2006 and BREEAM 2008 are:
- A new two stage assessment process: Design stage and Post Construction
- Introduction of mandatory credits
- A new rating level of BREEAM Outstanding
Transparency and Best Practice are benefits among others.
BREEAM 2011 new construction 
BREEAM 2011 New Construction is a performance based assessment method and certification scheme for new buildings. The primary aim of BREEAM New Construction is to mitigate the life cycle impacts of new buildings on the environment in a robust and cost effective manner. This is achieved through integration and use of the scheme by clients and their project teams at key stages in the design and procurement process.
International growth 
The BREEAM standard is now being exported under the responsibility of a division of the BRE called BREEAM International. The standard is set to be used in regions such as the Gulf (BREEAM Gulf) and Europe. In order to become a BREEAM International assessor the individual must have attended one of the assessor training courses.
- "About BREEAM buildings". Building Research Establishment Ltd. Archived from the original on 9 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- "BREEAM 2008 Update". Building Research Establishment Ltd. Archived from the original on 10 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- "A new face for BREEAM". Building. Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- "Benefits of BREEAM". VALUE2020. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- Kennett, Stephen (2008-10-28). "Dutch to adopt BREEAM". Building. Retrieved 2008-10-30.