|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the Guide to deletion.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|Developer(s)||AB Team Ltd.|
|Stable release||2.67.1076 / April 24, 2014|
|Operating system||Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Android|
BS.Player (Boris Player) is a media player for Windows OS, that plays back several types of multimedia files (including AVI, MPEG, Ogg, Matroska, ASF, QuickTime, MP4, WAV, mp3...) and specializes in video and audio playback. BS.Player is made by the Slovenian software company AB Team.
For formats which are not supported by default, BS.Player depends upon installed codecs and splitters. After first installation, it checks for installed codecs and prompts the user to install any required codecs. The player is offered in two versions: "FREE" and "PRO". Since version 2.xx, the player supports Windows 2000 through Windows 7 and 8. Older releases support Windows 98 and Windows Me.
Beginning with version 1.38, the free version of BS.Player was bundled with an adware package called WhenU by the authors in an effort to pay the development costs. In September 2007, the "WhenU Save" adware program was replaced by MeMedia AdVantage. In August 2008 all bundled adware was removed from BS.Player FREE, and theBS.Player ControlBar (toolbar) was added. In 2008, the Softonic reviewer noted that she didn't like the installation of an adware element.
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (July 2014)|
The following features are supported by the current release of the software.
- Subtitles, custom position, color, font, transparency. Formats: MicroDVD, SubViewer, SubRip, MPL2, VobSub. ASS/SSA rendering features. Optional simultaneous display of two different subtitles.
- Skinnable, any shape or transparency.
- Resizable and borderless movie window, fullscreen, dual display playback.
- Multilingual user interface
- YouTube playback and save support (HD & HQ YouTube videos supported in PRO).
- Command line support.
- Pan-scan and custom pan-scan option, custom aspect ratios and resolution, frame grabbing with custom filename.
- Playlist support
- AVI files with more than 2 audio streams supported (multilanguage)
- Support for OGM files, including more than two audio/video tracks, supports embedded subtitles/chapters
- External audio files, chapter files, INI files
- S/PDIF output supported for AC3 files (with Intervideo audio decoder)
- Remote control support via WinLIRC(wireless, IR and Bluetooth devices)
- Chapter support (DVD and avi/mpg auto generate thumbnails, but the free version does not have DVD support)
- Local installation of codecs on Windows 7
- Simple equalizer (DirectX 8 required)
- Playback rate (½×, 1×, 2×) and custom playback speed
- Support for 3rd-party plugins (Winamp and others)
- Integrated codec update manager (internet connection needed)
- Playback of AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition) format used in digital tapeless camcorders by Canon, JVC, Panasonic, and Sony.
- Automatic online subtitle search and download.
The following features are only supported in the PRO version.
- DVD support (MPEG-2 codecs required)
- Video playback of HD and high quality (HQ) YouTube videos, with save option.
- Customizable Equalizer, loading of external audio files, and choose playback seek behavior
- Support for Capture and Tuner devices, with capture to file.
- Integrated subtitle editor
- Network file buffering
- Support for Flash playback
- Improved subtitles and VMR9 support
- Support for UTF-8 language files
- Technical e-mail support
- Free one year subscription to all upgrades
- No "Only for non-commercial use" nag screen.
Thierry Thaureaux wrote of version 2.20, in DivX: copiez vos vidéos sur CD (2007), "BSPlayer is, in our opinion, one of the best video players ever. It is also able to play audio [...] if you do not have real audio player on hand. It is far from being as good as Winamp, for example, but it was not developed for it. It is light, in size and memory footprint, fast-start bonus, crashes rarely or never." He also stated, "It handles subtitles well, and even allows you to load multiple and alternate during playback."
The 2008 CNET review of BS.Player gave it five (of five) stars, noting its history as "one of the better multicodec free video playback applications around", its history with advertising, and its re-introduction without ads and with a refurbished user interface; the review states that "nostalgic" readers "can be bullish on BS.Player."
A 2009 review of version 2.42 in the German internet portal PCFreunde noted that installation was quick and easy, BS.Player plays HD AVCHD format videos "without a hitch", has good subtitle support, good video playback, has low memory and resource usage. The review concluded that it is a ""very useful" player, though the free player lacks support for some formats.
Softonic.com editor Elena Santos rated version 2.57 of the player at four stars (of five) and described it as a "great media player supporting a wide range of formats", with "easy" customization, control with both mouse and keyboard. She noted its lack of documentation, and unattractive default skin at the time of review.
- "K-Lite Mega Codec Pack Update 8.7.5 Build 2012.04.27 / 8.7.0 - Changelog". Softpedia. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- BS.ControlBar. OurToolBar.com.
- Santos, Elena (September 2008).BS.Player 2.31.974. softonic.com. Archived from the original 2008.09.19.
- Conduit Announces AB Team BS.Player™ Version 2.4. (Newswiretoday). Conduit.com. (Press release).
- "BS.Player Features". bsplayer.com.
- "BS.Player Pro features". bsplayer.com.
- Thierry, Thaureaux (2007). DivX: copiez vos vidéos sur CD (in French). Editions ENI. p. 81. ""BSPlayer est, a notre avis, un des meilleurs players vidéo qui soit. Il est également capable de lire de l'audio mais plutot "en dépannage", si vous n'avez pas de vrai player audio sous la main. Il est loin d'etre aussi performant qu'un Winamp, par exemple; mais il n'a pas été développé pour cela. Il est léger, en taille et en occupation mémoire, rapide au prime-lancement, "plante" très rarement voire jamais. [...] Il gère parfaitement les sous-titres et vous permet meme d'en charger plusieurs et d'alterner pendant la lecture."
- CNET Staff (November 6, 2008).BS,Player review. CNET.com.
- Review: BSPlayer Free 2.42. PCFreunde.de. 16 July 2009. (German).
- Santos, Elena. "BS.Player Free 2.57.1051". Softonic.com.