BTC-T Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch
|Constructor||Triple 8 Race Engineering|
|Chassis||Vauxhall Astra Mk V|
|Engine||2,000 cc (122.0 cu in) In-line 4 NA front-mounted, FWD|
|Debut||2005 BTCC at Donnington Park|
|Constructors' Championships||1 (2005)|
After campaigning the BTC-T Vauxhall Astra Coupe for 4 years, VX Racing took the decision to replace the car with the brand-new Astra SportHatch for the 2005 BTCC season. An experimental BTC-T spec Vectra had been built in 2003, but the experiment was not continued due to the weight of the car. Replacing such a successful car proved difficult, however; and the car only won ten out of the sixty races it contested as a works entry, in the hands of Yvan Muller, Colin Turkington and Fabrizio Giovanardi. The emergence of the BTC-T Honda Integra Type R proved to be a challenge too far for Vauxhall, despite a successful debut victory, and Vauxhall's 100th BTCC win at Knockhill in 2006. Despite the dominance of Matt Neal's Integra, however, the car did deliver the 2005 Manufacturer's championship to Vauxhall, as Team Dynamics were not competing in this championship.
After the car's replacement with the Super 2000-spec Vectra, the Turkish driver Erkut Kizilirmak bought three of the four chassis, and used them for his Arkas Racing team in the BTCC for 2007, with some occasional races in the Turkish Touring Car Championship. In 2008, Erkut expanded the BTCC effort to a two-car team, being joined by Martyn Bell.
- 2005 – Yvan Muller (Rounds 1-3)/Two Seater
- 2006 – Two Seater/Erkut Kizilirmak (Rounds 13-15/18-21)
- 2007 onwards – Two Seater
- 2005 – Colin Turkington (Rounds 1-12)
- 2006 onwards – Unused
- 2005/06 – Gavin Smith
- 2007 – Erkut Kizilirmak (Turkish Touring Car Championship)
- 2008 – Erkut Kizilirmak (Rounds 10-30)
- 2005 – Yvan Muller (Rounds 4–30)
- 2006 – Fabrizio Giovanardi
- 2007/08 – Erkut Kizilirmak (Rounds 1–9, written off at Donington Park)
- "Vauxhall To Defend BTCC Titles With New Astra". Carpages.co.uk. 2005-01-17. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- BTCCPages.com. "PICS : New VX Racing Astra Sport Hatch in full livery - BTCC News". BTCCPages.com. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- Autosport magazine feature Jan 25th 2007 'Tin-Tops That Never Raced'
- "Victorious Race Debut For VX Racing Astra Sport Hatch". Carpages.co.uk. 2005-04-12. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- Jonathan Gill (2006-09-07). "BTCC: Gio brings Vauxhall 100 up". Auto Express. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- BTCCPages.com (2009-04-05). "2005 BTCC Points". BTCCPages.com. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship". BTCC. 2006-12-18. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "BTCC: Turkish team enters BTCC". TouringCarTimes. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship". BTCC. 2008-02-04. Retrieved 2012-12-24.