|Type||Public (SEHK: 1211, SZSE: 002594)|
|Industry||Rechargeable batteries and automobile manufacturing|
|Headquarters||Shenzhen, Guangdong, China|
|Area served||China, Europe, America, and the Asia Pacific region.|
|Key people||Founder, Chairman & CEO Wang Chuanfu(王传福)|
|Products||Gasoline and electric cars, battery-powered bicycles, rechargeable batteries and handset components.|
|Employees||130,000 in 2008|
BYD Co Ltd (simplified Chinese: 比亚迪股份有限公司; traditional Chinese: 比亞迪股份有限公司; pinyin: Bǐyàdí Gǔfēn Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī) is a Chinese manufacturer of automobiles and rechargeable batteries based in Shenzhen, Guangdong province.
Founded in the February 1995 and listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on July 31, 2002, BYD Co Ltd began as a rechargeable-battery factory competing in the Chinese market against Japanese imports.
 Early growth
BYD grew quickly; within ten years capturing more than half the world's mobile-phone battery market and becoming the largest Chinese manufacturer (and in the top four worldwide) of all types of rechargeable batteries. Replacing work done by machines with cheap, local labor lowered costs, and the company began expanding beyond batteries, adding automobiles and mobile phone components.
 Mobile phones
The company has been recognized for innovation; for example it has developed technologies that allow mobile phone batteries to be made at room temperature, rather than in expensive, heated dry rooms.
 Full hybrid automobiles
 BYD (H.K.) Co Ltd
- Golden Link Worldwide Ltd -An investment holding company incorporated in the British Virgin Islands. A wholly owned subsidiary of BYD (H.K.) Co Ltd, itself a wholly owned subsidiary of BYD Co Ltd, as of 2007 Golden Link held nearly 70% issued share capital of BYD Electronic (International) Co Ltd.
 Shenzhen BYD Electronic Parts Co Ltd
Production and sale of NiMH and NiCD batteries, hardware products, instruments and flexible printed circuit boards
 Shenzhen BYD Microelectronics Co Ltd
 Shenzhen BYD Daimler New Technology Company
On May 27, 2010, BYD and Daimler AG signed an agreement on establishing a 50/50 joint venture developing electric cars in China.
 BYD Electronic Co Ltd
 BYD Electronic Hungary Kft
(“Hungary Electronic”) Originally Mirae Hungary Industrial Manufacturer Ltd, and responsible for the manufacture and sale of mobile handset components, BYD Electronic Hungary Kft was purchased from Mirae Industry Co Ltd on February 12, 2008. Prior to the purchase, it manufactured handset housings for Nokia.
 Foshan Jinhui Hi-tech Optoelectronic Material Co Ltd
 Production bases and facilities
Auto production bases include an automobile assembly line in Xi'an, a module manufacturing plant in Beijing, an R&D center and nascent automobile assembly line in Shenzhen, and an R&D center in Shanghai.
US operations are limited to sales and marketing and can be found in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, and San Francisco, California. BYD also acquired a site for a future North American headquarters in downtown Los Angeles.
 Legal disputes
 In the media
- In September 2008, MidAmerican Energy Holdings, a subsidiary of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc., invested about US$230 million for a 10% (or 9.89%) share of BYD @ HK$8/share.
 See also
- "BYD Co Ltd 2008 Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- Company Profile BYD Official Site
- BYD Co Ltd Company Brochure BYD Auto Official Site
- break all the rules: A special report on innovation in emerging markets; The charms of frugal innovation economist.com, Apr 15th 2010
- Marc Gunther (13 April 2009). "Why Warren Buffett is investing in electric car company BYD". Fortune. Archived from the original on 27 April 2009. Retrieved 2 May 2009.
- "The Tech 100". BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 24 May 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- A Small Showing, but With Big Dreams NICK BUNKLEY Published: January 12, 2009
- Company Profile BYD Auto Official Site
- to BYD Company Introduction, BYD Official Site
- China, Inc. By Ted Fishman Google Books, page 215
- China Car Market 101: Who Makes All Those 18 Million Cars? thetruthaboutcars.com, January 19, 2011
- "00a.Cover 2-30049e" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "The 50 Most Innovative Companies 2010". BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 18 April 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "The World's Most Innovative Companies 2010". Fast Company. Archived from the original on 19 April 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- Technology Levels Playing Field in Race to Market Electric Car Wall Street Journal, A1, JANUARY 12, 2009
- "Further Reorganisation Of The Be Group For The Proposed Spin-Off And Adjournment Of Egms In Respect Of The Proposed Spin-Off" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- BYD Acquires SinoMOS tradingmarkets.com Wed. October 08, 2008
- BYD Said to Buy Wafer Assets tradingmarkets.com Wed. October 08, 2008
- "BYD and Daimler in EV Joint Venture". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- Foshan Plastic Group starts special cell production.(NEWSDESK: Cooperation)(Foshan Jinhui High-Tech Photoelectric Material Co. Ltd.) China Chemical Reporter, February 26, 2006
- For Illinois location, see "Chinese Auto Maker BYD Locating its North American Headquarters Downtown on Figueroa". blogdowntown. 2010-04-30. Archived from the original on 4 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- For California location, see "Chinese auto, solar firm BYD chooses LA as its US headquarters". Contra Costa Times. 2010-04-30. Archived from the original on 3 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- Joanne Chiu and Alison Leung (29 September 2008). "Buffett's BYD endorsement sends shares soaring". Reuters. Retrieved 3 May 2009.
- Car Designer Sees China’s Wheels Electric-powered BYD Press Release, 2009-5-12
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: BYD Company|