B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2
|B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2|
|Remix album by Britney Spears|
|Released||October 11, 2011|
|Genre||Dance-pop, pop rock|
|Producer||Britney Spears, Max Martin, Danja, Dr. Luke, Tiësto, Bloodshy & Avant, Darkchild, Shellback, Benny Benassi, The Clutch, Billboard, Kaskade, Chris Smith, Philip Larsen, Gareth Emery, Linus Loves, K. Briscoe|
|Britney Spears chronology|
B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 is the second remix album by Britney Spears, released on October 11, 2011 by RCA Records. On September 9, 2011, Spears announced the release by posting the cover art and track listing on her Tumblr. The album includes remixes of various tracks from her fifth-seventh albums, Blackout (2007), Circus (2008) and Femme Fatale (2011), as well as a remix of "3". The remixes were done by DJs such as Kaskade, Tiësto and Benny Benassi. The music was influenced by various genres of pop music, such as dance-pop and pop rock.
Critics gave generally favorable reviews to the album. Some reviewers considered B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 more creative when compared to studio albums Blackout and Circus and praised several remixes, despite noting that most of the songs lost their "magic" in a remixed form. B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 achieved moderate success worldwide, reaching top five positions in Argentina and South Korea, while peaking at number four on the Billboard's Dance/Electronic Albums and number nine on the UK Dance Albums Chart.
In November 2005, Spears released her first remix album, B in the Mix: The Remixes. During the next six years, she released three studio albums: Blackout (2007), Circus (2008) and Femme Fatale (2011). Online store Fragantica.com reported that Spears' new fragrance Cosmic Radiance could "be expected with launch of new remix album" by Spears in August 2011. On September 2, 2011, Sony Japan posted the cover art of a remix album by Spears titled B in the Mix, The Remixes 2, along with the announcement that it would feature unreleased tracks. The cover art for the album features Spears smirking with hair in her face behind a butterfly, while wearing a silk outfit. Amy Sciarretto of PopCrush said that although the cover resembled that of B in the Mix: The Remixes, it is "a somewhat unflattering shot of the normally gorgeous star." On September 9, 2011, Spears posted the official cover and track listing for B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 on her Tumblr. The track listing included remixes of three tracks from each of her last three studio albums, as well as a remix of "3" from The Singles Collection (2009). However, the Varsity Team Remix of "Criminal" was removed from most editions before the album's release and the Radio Mix was included in its place.
A 30-second sample of the remix, where Spears' vocals contrasts with the trance influenced background.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
The album opens with the Radio Mix of "Criminal", a guitar-driven midtempo song, which incorporates a folk-style flute melody. Erin Thompson of the Seattle Weekly said the song "takes a breather from aggressive, wall-to-wall synths, driven instead by a steady guitar rhythm and an oddly Asian folky-sounding flute melody." The beat was compared by Keith Caufield of Billboard to Madonna's "Don't Tell Me" (2000). The Kaskade remix of "Gimme More" follows as the second track; the record producer said that it was a challenge to make the song good in his house musical style, commenting, "I wanted to make sure that it would be something that would eventually fit into my live set. That is the true test for me: Taking a huge pop vocal and making it work with my music can be a little tricky, but I find the challenge fun." The Tiësto remix of "Piece of Me" was described as "timeless". He said, "the melody, the atmosphere [of the remix] is totally different than the original. For me, it's always been a special remix. I'm glad they added that on the album." Kaskade also commented that the remix album "shines a new light on the EDM scene and how far it can reach." Cobra Starship's Alex Suarez remixed "Till the World Ends". Suarez commented that he didn't want to distant the remix structure from the original version, and noted, "the thing with a Britney Spears remix is people like to sing along." "Womanizer" was remixed in a trance form by DJ Benny Benassi, while U-Tern's "If U Seek Amy" remix is influenced by disco.
|Barnes & Noble||positive|
After its release, B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 received generally favorable reviews from contemporary critics. Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic commented that a "clutch of DJs and remixers, primarily European, have been hired and they’ve run wild, taking the original versions as merely suggestions, something that's entirely appropriate in this case." He also noted that "the variations are quite far removed from the original -- U-Tern's spangly disco spin on 'If U Seek Amy' is a decided improvement -- and while nothing can save a lousy song (see 'Criminal'), this collection has as much imagination and energy as either Circus or Femme Fatale." Jocelyn Vena of MTV said that, after being "chopped, screwed and broken down, the songs reach[ed] new extremes" in the remix album.
A Barnes & Noble reviewer noted that "the B-sides of Spears' singles have always been an arena where more aggressive, club-oriented interpretations of her work can get an airing," while Entertainment Wise writer Shaun Kitchener gave the remix album a mixed review, saying that, with most of the remixes, "a great deal of the magic is lost" when compared to original productions, citing "Till The World Ends" and "If U Seek Amy" as the most notable examples. Jason Lipshutz of Billboard said that "among the album highlights are Manhattan Clique's club remix of '3', Gareth Emery's take on 'I Wanna Go', Tiesto's club mix of 'Piece of Me', and Alex Suarez's reworking of 'Till the World Ends'."
The remix album achieved moderate success worldwide. In the United States, B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 entered the Billboard 200 at number 47, with sales of 9,000 copies, for the issue dated October 19, 2011. It also reached number four on the Dance/Electronic Albums component chart. In the United Kingdom, the remix album peaked outside the top 100, while debuting at number nine on the Dance Albums Chart. In Canada, the remix album debuted at number 53, and peaked inside the top 30 in Italy. B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 reached top five positions on South Korea's Gaon Chart, where it reached number two, and on Argentina Albums Chart, where it reached number five.
|1.||"Criminal" (Radio Mix)||
|2.||"Gimme More" (Kaskade Club Mix)||6:08|
|3.||"Piece of Me" (Tiësto Club Mix)||7:53|
|4.||"Radar" (Tonal Club Remix)||4:55|
|5.||"Womanizer" (Benny Benassi Extended)||
|6.||"Circus" (Linus Loves Remix)||4:39|
|7.||"If U Seek Amy" (U-Tern Remix)||
|8.||"3" (Manhattan Clique Club Remix)||
|9.||"Till the World Ends" (Alex Suarez Club Remix)||
|10.||"I Wanna Go" (Gareth Emery Remix)||
|1.||"Gimme More" (Kaskade Club Mix)||6:08|
|2.||"Piece of Me" (Tiësto Club Mix)||7:53|
|3.||"Radar" (Tonal Club Remix)||4:55|
|4.||"Womanizer" (Benny Benassi Extended)||6:17|
|5.||"Circus" (Linus Loves Remix)||4:39|
|6.||"If U Seek Amy" (U-Tern Remix)||6:10|
|7.||"3" (Manhattan Clique Club Remix)||5:42|
|8.||"Till the World Ends" (Alex Suarez Club Remix)||5:18|
|9.||"I Wanna Go" (Gareth Emery Remix)||5:26|
|10.||"Criminal" (Varsity Team Extended Remix)||6:34|
|11.||"Break the Ice" (Tonal Remix)||4:52|
|12.||"Hold It Against Me" (Funk Generation Club Remix)||6:48|
|13.||"My Prerogative" (X-Press 2 Radio Edit)||4:17|
|14.||"Criminal" (Tom Piper & Riddler Remix Radio Edit)||3:38|
- ^a signifies a vocal producer
- ^b signifies a remixer and additional producer
- ^c signifies a co-producer
Credits adapted from the album's liner notes.
- Audio mastering: Tom Coyne
- Management: Adam Leber, Larry Rudolph
- Design: Jackie Murphy
- Photography: Randee St Nicholas
|Argentina Albums Chart||5|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)||69|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||53|
|Czech Albums (ČNS IFPI)||47|
|French Albums (SNEP)||57|
|French Compilations Chart||15|
|Italian Albums Chart||29|
|Mexican Albums (Top 100 Mexico)||27|
|South Korean Albums Chart (International)||1|
|Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)||39|
|UK Albums (OCC)||171|
|UK Dance Albums (OCC)||9|
|US Billboard 200||47|
|US Dance/Electronic Albums (Billboard)||4|
|Austria||October 7, 2011||RCA Records|
|Worldwide||October 11, 2011|
|Australia||October 14, 2011|
|Brazil||October 19, 2011||Sony Music|
|Japan||November 30, 2011||RCA Records|
- Bain, Becky (September 9, 2011). "Britney Spears Reveals ‘B In The Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2′ Track Listing". Idolator. Buzz Media. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- "Cosmic Radiance Britney Spears perfume - a new fragrance for women 2011". Fragantica. Retrieved August 20, 2011.
- Sciarretto, Amy (September 2, 2011). "Britney Spears 'B in the Mix: The Remixes 2' Cover Hits the Web". PopCrush.com. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- "B In the Mix - The Remixes, Vol. 2by Britney Spears". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- "B In The Mix: The Remixes 2 - Spears, Britney". JB Hi-Fi. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- Reporter, Staff (March 14, 2011). "CD: Britney – Femme Fatale". Samesame.com.au. Sound Alliance. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- Gill, Andy (March 25, 2011). "Album: Britney Spears, Femme Fatale (Jive)". The Independent (Alexander Lebedev). Retrieved April 8, 2011.
- Thompson, Erin (October 25, 2011). "Nice Hits!: Britney Spears' Down-Tempo 'Criminal' Is Her Own 'Papa Don't Preach'". Seattle Weekly. Village Voice Media. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Caufield, Keith (March 29, 2011). "Britney Spears' 'Femme Fatale' Track By Track". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- Vena, Jocelyn (October 11, 2011). "Britney Spears Remix Album 'Shines New Light' On EDM". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "B in the Mix: The Remixes, Vol. 2, Britney Spears, Music CD". Barnes & Noble. October 11, 2011. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (October 7, 2011). "B in the Mix: The Remixes, Vol. 2 - Britney Spears". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Lipshutz, Jason (September 12, 2011). "Britney Spears Announces Second 'B In The Mix' Remix Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- Kitchener, Shaun (October 18, 2011). "Britney Spears - B in the Mix: The Remixes, Vol. 2". Entertainment Wise. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "Britney Spears Album & Song Chart History" Billboard 200 for Britney Spears. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Britney Spears Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums for Britney Spears. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "UK Chart History - Searchable Database". The Official Charts Company. Zobbel. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Britney Spears Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Canadian Albums Chart for Britney Spears. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Classifica settimanale dal 10/10/2011 al 16/10/2011". Federation of the Italian Music Industry. fimi.it. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "South Korean International Albums Chart" (PDF). October 20, 2011. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "Representando a la Industria Argentina de la Música". CAPIF. October 23, 2011. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "B In The Mix The Remixes Vol. 2 (Remixed Collection) [CD] - Britney Spears". HMV. Lawson. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- B in the Mix: The Remixes Vol. 2 liner notes. RCA Records (2011)
- "Britney Spears – B in the Mix - The Remixes Vol. 2" (in French). Ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Czech Albums – Top 100". ČNS IFPI. Note: On the chart page, select 201141 on the field besides the word "Zobrazit", and then click over the word to retrieve the correct chart data. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Britney Spears – B in the Mix - The Remixes Vol. 2". Lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "French Compilations Chart" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. October 10, 2011. Archived from the original on October 26, 2011. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Britney Spears – B in the Mix - The Remixes Vol. 2". Mexicancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Britney Spears – B in the Mix - The Remixes Vol. 2". Spanishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "2011-10-22 Top 40 Dance Albums Archive". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "Britney Spears - B In The Mix, The Remixes Vol 2". Sony Music. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "B in the Mix, The Remixes, Vol.2" (in Portuguese). Livraria Cultura. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- "B in the Mix, The Remixes, Vol.2". BritneyRA2. Retrieved October 7, 2011.