Season 1 promotional poster
|Created by||Dan Berendsen|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||47 (List of episodes)|
|Location(s)||CBS Studio Center
Studio City, California
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original channel||ABC Family|
|Original run||June 20, 2012– present|
Baby Daddy is an ABC Family original comedy television series that premiered on June 20, 2012. The series follows Ben, a guy in his twenties, who gets the surprise of his life when a one night stand leaves his baby at his doorstep. Ben decides to raise his little girl with the help of his brother, Danny, his two close friends, Riley and Tucker, and his mother, Bonnie.
Development and production
Baby Daddy was renewed for a fourth season on March 17, 2014.
Cast and characters
- Benjamin Bon Jovi "Ben" Wheeler(Jean-Luc Bilodeau): The lead character of the series. He is a young man living the life of a bachelor as a bartender in New York City with his buddy Tucker and his older brother Danny. His life is turned upside down when he comes home one day to find a baby girl left on his doorstep by an ex-girlfriend. The baby turns out to be his daughter Emma. He doesn't know what he wants to do with his life yet. He learns a lesson that he has to believe in himself if he's going to raise his daughter. He used to have feelings for Riley after they danced at a wedding. He then dated a daycare worker named Megan, but they broke up due to Ben losing her dog. Ever since then, Ben has developed feelings for Riley, yet again. In season 2, he and Riley begin dating but break up in season 3. He had since trying to win back Riley while still hitting on women. In in the episode "All Aboard the Love Train", Ben and Riley get back together. And during the season finale, they state they are in a relastionship.
- Tucker Thurgood Marshall Dobbs (Tahj Mowry): Ben's best friend and roommate. Tucker is friendly towards everybody so long as they don't eat all of his food. He and Bonnie are the only ones who know Danny is in love with Riley. It is revealed in episode "A Knight to Remember", that Ben encouraged Tucker to drop out of law school to pursue a career that he enjoys since he was only trying to be a lawyer because of his strict father. When his father Marshall Dobbs visits, Tucker finally reveals to his dad that he no longer wants to be a lawyer and is working in television because its something he enjoys doing, to which his father at first is furious, but finally accepts.
- Daniel Mellencamp "Danny" Wheeler (Derek Theler): Ben's older brother, who is a professional hockey player. He was traded to the New York Rangers. His little brother looks up to him, because he has everything a man would want. Initially, he is the only person who knows that Riley loves Ben. In turn he loves Riley, but she doesn't know how he feels and he feels awkward because she often shares her feelings for Ben with him. He dated psychologist, Amy, who he has strong feelings for as well. In the episode "Surprise!", he and Amy break up.
- Bonnie Wheeler (Melissa Peterman): Ben and Danny's mother. She wanted to be a model but never "recovered" after having Danny. She thinks that Ben isn't ready to take care of a child because she still "buys his pants". She and Tucker are the only ones who know Danny is in love with Riley.
- Riley Perrin (Chelsea Kane): Ben's close female friend and Danny's best friend since they were little. It has been said that she was extremely overweight in high school and has since lost 200 pounds. She is highly intelligent, despite having some difficulty with the LSATs she did well enough to get accepted into law school. She has liked Ben ever since they were young but only Danny initially knew. She then started to develop feelings for Danny, but it faded once Danny started dating Amy. It is sometimes shown that Riley still has some feelings for Ben. In season 2, she and Ben finally get together, but break up in season 3. She is now dating a handsome British professor named Phillip, much to Danny's dismay. In season 3, she is informed that the woman that she thought was her Aunt Margot (Amanda Detmer) was actually her mother. Later on, she found out that her biological father is David Brinkerhoff (David DeLuise), a pastry chef and Margot's former flame.
- Emma Wheeler (Ali Louise and Susanne Allan Hartman in season 1; Mila and Zoey Beske in season 2; Ember and Harper Husak in Season 3): Ben's daughter, who was left at his doorstep by his ex-girlfriend.
- Dr. Amy Shaw (Lacey Chabert): A psychologist for the New York Rangers and Danny's girlfriend in season 2. She's been described as uptight but also accepting and sweet. She cares deeply for Danny but is constantly worried his feelings for Riley will drive him away. She eventually realizes Danny still has feelings for Riley and breaks up with him in the episode "Surprise!". In season 3, Amy shows up and announces that she is engaged.
- Fitch Douglas (Matt Dallas): Son of a millionaire and Riley's boyfriend in season 2. Fitch does not speak to his family for he feels their money corrupts them. He is described as being perfect, handsome, and charitable. He constantly travels to Africa to help the children and orphanages, having a long distance relationship with Riley. He is seemingly killed in Africa but later turns up alive at his memorial and proposes to Riley. She regretfully declines claiming she is not the one for him.
- Brad (Peter Porte): A handsome real estate agent that dated Bonnie in season 3. He has twin brother named Tad. In the episode "Play It Again, Bonnie", it is revealed he still has feelings for Bonnie (to the point he got engaged to his ex Veronica to make Bonnie jealous). But, later in the episode he realizes he needs to move on and is not ready for a relationship.
- Philip Farlow (Christopher O'Shea): A college professor that Riley briefly dated in season 3.
- Georgie Farlow (Mallory Jansen): Philip's sister who briefly dated Ben, but later developed feelings for Danny in season 3. She is a fashion photographer for Vogue magazine.
- Angela (Mimi Gianopulos): The mother of Emma and the ex-girlfriend of Ben. When her daughter was 3 months old, she abandoned her on Ben's doorstep. She's an aspiring actress who had since moved to California.
- Megan (Grace Phipps): A day care worker that Ben dated in season 2.
- Ray Wheeler (Greg Grunberg): Ben and Danny's father. He is divorced from Bonnie and doesn't get along with her. He makes amends with Bonnie by finally telling his family that he's in a relationship with a man named Steve (Robert Gant). Bonnie is happy for she knows it's now "not her fault" that they got divorced. In season 3, it was shown on old home videos that he had feelings for a (male) waiter while the boys were toddlers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 28, 2012). "ABC Family has Begun Production on the New Comedy Series 'Baby Daddy'". TV by the Numbers.
- "About the Show." ABC Family. Retrieved 05-19-2012.
- "On the Heels of Its Most Successful year on Record ABC Family Announces the First Portion of Its New Original Programming Slate". The Futon Critic. February 2, 2012. Retrieved May 19, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "ABC Family Sets Summer Premiere Dates". Deadline.com. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- Deadline, The. "ABC Family Renews 'Baby Daddy' For Season 3". Deadline.com. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- Baby Daddy, Episode Title: "The Naked Truth", TheFutonCritic.com
- Bibel, Sara (March 17, 2014). "'Melissa & Joey' & 'Baby Daddy' Renewed for Season 4 by ABC Family & Network Orders 3 Drama Pilots". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Bob Koherr (director), Vince Cheung and Ben Montanio (writers) (June 12, 2013). "New Bonnie vs. Old Ben". Season 2. Episode 4. 18:32 minutes in. ABC Family.
- "ABC Family's New Series Baby Daddy Casts Lead Role". March 1, 2012. - ABC Family
- Michael Lembeck (director), Frank Pines (writer) (April 30, 2014). "From Here to Paternity". Season 3. Episode 15. 18:00 minutes in. ABC Family.
- "Meet the Cast of ABC Family’s Baby Daddy: Tahj Mowry". - ABC Family
- Michael Lembeck (director), Kirill Baru & Eric Zimmerman (writers) (May 7, 2014). "Curious Georgie". Season 3. Episode 16. 02:21 minutes in. ABC Family.
- "Meet the Cast of ABC Family’s Baby Daddy: Derek Theler". - ABC Family
- "Meet the Cast of ABC Family’s Baby Daddy: Melissa Peterman". - ABC Family
- "Casting News! Chelsea Kane Joins Baby Daddy Cast". January 28, 2012. - ABC Family