Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (B.A.M.S.) is an integrated medical degree in India, conferred to those who have studied the integrated system of modern medicine and traditional ayurveda. The degree is of five and half years duration, including 1 year internship after passing 12th Science. The person having a BAMS degree can practice anywhere in India. The curriculum includes studying and teaching of modern anatomy, physiology, principles of medicine, preventive and social medicine, pharmacology, toxicology, forensic medicine, ENT, Ophthalmology, principles of surgery, etc. along with ayurvedic topics. Some experts opine that in future there is possibility of integration of BAMS and MBBS courses.
Permission to use modern medicine
A BAMS graduate can practice modern / allopathic medicine in the indian state of Maharashtra. Many people are unaware of this fact that BAMS doctors can practice modern / allopatic medicine. According to the privileges in the Drugs & Cosmetics Act 1940,Rules 1945 Sec 2ee(iii), States have right to allow BAMS doctors to use modern medicine, in the practice.
One study claims that it has observed that "BAMS doctors seem to prescribe more irrationally as compared to MBBS doctors" when comparative evaluation of MBBS and BAMS doctor's prescription trends was carried out using World Health Organization criteria.
Future after BAMS
A BAMS doctor can work in following domains after completion of the degree.
- General Practice
- Research (Clinical research or epidemiological research)
- Hospital and Healthcare Administration
- Health Supervisor (As per High courts decision a BAMS doctor can work for the post of Health Supervisor)
- Ayurved Consultaion
- Ayurved Pharmacy
Future education after BAMS
Though the future is not as bright as MBBS, a BAMS graduate can opt for following degrees after BAMS
- MD/MS (Ayurveda)
- RAV (Rashtriya Ayuved Vidyapeeth's 1 year cerificate course run by AYUSH department of government of India)
- MBA (Hospital Healthcare Management)
- MPH (Masters in Public Health from India and Abroad)
- MSc Health Sciences
- MSc Nutrition
- Courses on the websites like Edx and Coursera
- 17 May 2011, GANESH PRABHU, The Hindu Newspaper, FEATURES » EDUCATION PLUS Why not integrate MBBS, BAMS? (Accessed on 22 Nov 2013)
- Prasad Kulkarni, Times of India, Pune edition, 7 July 2012 Maharashtra: Ayurvedadoctors to go on strike on July 10 (Accessed on 11 July 2012)
- 16 July 2012, Esakal, पश्चिम महाराष्ट्र, कोल्हापूर बीएएमएस डॉक्टरांना ऍलोपथी औषधे वापराचा अधिकार (Accessed on 16 July 2012)
- Sangeeta Dabhade, Prabodhan Gaikwad, Sanjay Dabhade, BT Rane, Smita Tiwari, BB Ghongane, PT Pandit1Medical Journal of Dr. D Y Patil University Year : 2013, Volume : 6, Issue : 4, Page : 411-415 Comparative evaluation of prescriptions of MBBS and BAMS doctors using WHO prescribing indicators (Accessed on 22 Nov 2013)
- Times news network, Shibu Thimas, Mumbai, 10 July 2012 BAMS doctor can apply for post of health supervisor: HC (Accessed on 11 July 2012)
- MCIM website - Redirected to a page that contains a list of acts and regulations.
- CCIM website link Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM) is the apex body in India which regulates education and practice of BAMS doctors.
- BAMS Graduate Association
- Ayurveda Medical Association Of India
- Ayurveda Education
- Syllabus of BAMS