Bachelor of Design
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
A Bachelor of Design (B.Des. or B.Design) degree is usually an undergraduate academic degree awarded for a course or major that generally lasts three or four years. It is an arts-centered degree that is a counterpart to the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree. Bachelor of Design degrees have been popular in Canada and Australia for several decades and are becoming increasingly popular in the United States as discipline-specific design education expands and becomes more specialized. There are several variants of the Bachelor of Design degree, including the Bachelor of Design Arts and the Bachelor of Design Studies.
Examples of B.Des. degrees:
- Bachelor of Design: Architecture. This is an undergraduate degree focusing on Architecture that prepares students for advanced study in Architecture. It is not however recognized by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) as a professional architectural degree as are the Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture degrees.
- Bachelor of Design: Interior design
- Bachelor of Design: Fashion design
- Bachelor of Design: Graphic design
- Bachelor of Design: Game design
- Bachelor of Design: Multimedia design
- Bachelor of Design: Audiovisual Media
- Bachelor of Design: Textile Design
- Bachelor of Design: Jewelry & Metalsmithing
- Bachelor of Design: Industrial design. In the United States, the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) which accredits most industrial design programs does not distinguish between the Bachelor of Design: Industrial Design and the older Bachelor of Industrial Design (BID) degree which has been awarded since the 1970s. Certification of Industrial Design degree programs by the Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA) has been proposed but does not currently exist.
- Bachelor of Design: Visual communications design
- Bachelor of Design: Product Design
- Bachelor of Design: Design & Digital Arts
- Bachelor of Design: Interior Architecture 
- "Australian Academy of Design, Bachelor of Design Arts Degrees".
- "University of Adelaide Bachelor of Design Studies Program".
- "University of Central Florida: Bachelor of Design in Architecture".
- "Meeting NCARB Education Requirements".
- "Raffles College of Design and Commerce Bachelor of Design majoring in Interior Design".
- "Penn State: The Bachelor of Design in Graphic Design".
- "תואר ראשון בעיצוב תעשייתי" [First Degree in Industrial Design]. hit.ac.il (in Hebrew). Archived from the original on 17 July 2010. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "NASAD Standards and Guidelines for Accredited Institutional Membership".
- "Industrial Design Education: Does it meet professional standards? By Carroll Gantz, FIDSA".
- "תואר בעיצוב תקשורת חזותית" [First Degree in Visual Communications Design]. hit.ac.il (in Hebrew). Archived from the original on 15 July 2010. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "Edinburgh Napier University: Bachelor of Design in Product Design".
- "Edinburgh Napier University: Bachelor of Design in Design & Digital Arts".
- "Edinburgh Napier University: Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture".
- "IDEA Design School In India: B Des - Bachelor of Design Course".