Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN or BS with a Major in Nursing, BScN in Canada, BSc Nursing in the UK) is a four-year, three years in the UK, academic degree in the science and principles of nursing, granted by a tertiary education university or similarly accredited school.
The Batchelor's Degree prepares nurses for a wide variety of professional roles and graduate study. Course work includes nursing science, research, leadership, and related sciences that inform the practice of nursing. It also provides the student with general education in math, humanities and social sciences. A Bachelors Degree affords opportunities for greater career advancement and higher salary options. This degree qualifies its holder for administrative, research, consulting and teaching positions, that would not usually be available to those without the degree.
Although a baccalaureate (Bachelor's) degree is not required for entry into professional nursing now, there has been a push for it to become the minimum degree for professional nursing since 1964, when the ANA House of Delegates approved a motion supporting such action. According to the ANA the title Registered Nurse should be reserved for those holding a baccalaureate degree, while those holding associates degrees be titled practical or technical nurses. For those already holding a bachelor's degree in another field, many programs offer accelerated or second bachelor's degree options in nursing.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) are the accreditation bodies for Bachelor of Science in Nursing programs in the United States. Both Commissions are officially recognized as national accreditation agencies that ensure quality standards for undergraduate to graduate nursing programs by the U.S. Secretary of Education.
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing
- National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
- Nurse education
- Nursing school
- "Nursing Degrees". Guidetoonlineschools. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "How to Become a Registered Nurse". Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education". American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
- "Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)". Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
|This article relating to education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This nursing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|