|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (August 2012)|
BackTweets was developed by BackType and released on Friday March 6, 2009. A short time after its launch, the service received significant media attention, most notably from Twitter and popular social media news site Mashable. In March 2011 BackType raised $1 million in seed funding from investors such as True Ventures, K9 Ventures, Freestyle Capital, Founder Collective and others. This was in addition to the $315,000 in funding it had raised previously from Y Combinator and True Ventures. On July 5, 2011 BackType announced that it had been purchased by Twitter, would be relocating to Twitter's offices and would be discontinuing BackType and its API. A few months after the acquisition the BackTweets service was shut down.
BackTweets enables individuals, companies and their competitors to gauge the quantity and quality of their Twitter reach by showing the number a times a link was tweeted as well as the actual tweet that was made. From a business perspective, the BackTweets service can help corporations understand how individuals interact with their brand. The service requires neither a username nor registration to the site. As opposed to Twitter's search capacity, BackTweets tracks all links which were tweeted, regardless of the form they were shared in, which prevents users from getting fragmented information about their Twitter link presence. In response to a search, tweets are returned in reverse chronological order with the most recent tweets appearing first in the list.
- Golda, Christopher. "BACKTWEETS TO SEARCH LINKS ON TWITTER". blog.backtype.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Glockner, Phil. "BackTweets Searches What Twitter Can't: Short URLs". www.readwriteweb.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Stone, Biz. "May The Tweets Be With You". Twitter Blog. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Van Grove, Jennifer. "Startup Analyzes 30 Billion Tweets To Measure Twitter Engagement". www.Mashable.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Empson, Rip. "Social Analytics Platform BackType Raises a Cool Million in Funding". www.TechCrunch.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Wauters, Robin. "BackType Gets More Conversation Tracking Features, Seed Funding". www.techcrunch.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Golda, Christopher. "BACKTYPE HAS BEEN ACQUIRED BY TWITTER". blog.backtype.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Geraci, Christine. "4 Awesome Online Monitoring Tools That Won't Die". www.talentzoo.com. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "TERMS OF SERVICE". backtweets.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Brewer, Jake. "Sunlight Live Recap: How We Did It". www.sunlightfoundation.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Fishkin, Rand. "30 SEO Problems & the Tools to Solve Them (Part 2 of 2)". seomoz.org. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "10 Ways to track what people are saying about you on Twitter". www.mediabistro.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Barone, Lisa. "Are You Making These 5 Social Measurement Mistakes?". www.outspokenmedia.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.