Back and Fourth (Lindisfarne album)
|Back and Fourth|
|Studio album by Lindisfarne|
|Label||Mercury Records Atco Records|
Back and Fourth is a 1978 album by English rock band Lindisfarne. Released in nine countries on three record labels, it reached position 22 on the UK album charts and contained the successful single "Run for Home".
Release, chart performance and reception
Back and Fourth was released in June 1978 in the UK by Mercury Records. It spent eleven weeks in the UK album charts, reaching a highest position of No. 22, with a total of three weeks in the top 25. It was also released in eight other countries around the world on three different record labels.
Although it was a chart success, the album did not receive entirely positive reviews. Bruce Eder of Allmusic gave the album just two starts out of five, stating that it "isn't really that good a record, lacking the imagination and spirit of experimentation that highlighted their early albums". However, he did praise "Run For Home" as "Alan Hull's best song to date".
Three tracks from the album were released as singles. The first, "Run For Home", was released a few weeks before the album. It proved very popular, reaching No. 10 during a 15-week stint in the UK charts. It also became the band's first hit in the USA, reaching #33. The second, "Juke Box Gypsy", was less successful. It was released in October 1978 and spent four weeks in the charts, peaking at #56. A third track, "Warm Feeling", was released in early 1979 but failed to chart.
- All tracks credited to Alan Hull except where indicated
- "Juke Box Gypsy" - 2:23
- "Warm Feeling" (Jackson/Harcourt) - 4:05
- "Woman" - 3:26
- "Only Alone" - 3:44
- "Run For Home" - 4:21
- "Kings Cross Blues" (Jackson/Harcourt) - 3:45
- "Get Wise" - 3:08
- "You And Me" - 3:05
- "Marshall Riley's Army" - 3:39
- "Angels at Eleven" - 2:55
- "Make Me Want To Stay" - 3:55
- Alan Hull - vocals, acoustic, electric and 12-string guitars, keyboards
- Ray Jackson - vocals, mandolin, harmonica
- Rod Clements - electric bass, acoustic, electric and 12-string guitars, violin
- Simon Cowe - lead, acoustic and 12-string guitars, mandolin, vocals
- Ray Laidlaw - drums
- Back and Fourth lindisfarne.co.uk
- Lindisfarne - The Official Website - History
- Chart Stats - Lindisfarne - Back and Fourth
- Discography - LPs lindisfarne.de
- Allmusic - Back and Fourth > Overview
- Chart Stats - Lindisfarne - Run For Home
- Run for Home (song by Lindisfarne) - Music VF
- Chart Stats - Lindisfarne - Juke Box Gypsy
- Wells, David (2006). Meet me on the Corner: Lindisfarne the collection (CD booklet). Lindisfarne. Sanctuary Records Group.