Back in the Game
|Back in the Game|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)|
|Audio format||5.1 surround sound|
|Original run||September 25, 2013– February 23, 2014|
Back in the Game is an American sitcom that aired from September 25, 2013, to December 11, 2013, on ABC. The series stars James Caan and Maggie Lawson and aired during the 2013–14 American television season as a Wednesday night entry. Back in the Game was co-created and executive-produced by brothers Mark and Robb Cullen for 20th Century Fox Television. The series was green-lit by ABC for a series order pickup on May 10, 2013.
On November 1, 2013, ABC announced it was cancelling Back in the Game. Following its tenth aired episode, ABC pulled the series from its schedule and left three episodes unaired. on February 23, 2014 the remaining episodes were released on iTunes and Amazon and other streaming services. 
Cast and characters
- Maggie Lawson as Terry Gannon, Jr.
- James Caan as Terry "The Cannon" Gannon, Sr.
- Griffin Gluck as Danny Gannon
- Ben Koldyke as Dick Slingbaugh
- Lenora Crichlow as Lulu Lovette (previously Gigi Fernandez-Lovette)
- Cooper Roth as David Slingbaugh
- J. J. Totah as Michael Lovette
- Kennedy Waite as Vanessa
- Brandon Selgado-Telis as Dudley Douglas
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release dates|
|Series premiere||Series finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||13||September 25, 2013||December 11, 2013||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production code||U.S. viewers
|1||"Pilot"||John Requa & Glenn Ficarra||Robb & Mark Cullen||September 25, 2013||1AWX79||8.01|
|2||"Stay In or Bail Out"||Eric Appel||Warren Lieberstein||October 2, 2013||1AWX01||6.71|
|3||"Play Hard or Go Home"||Eyal Gordin||Gregg Mettler||October 9, 2013||1AWX02||6.53|
|4||"The Change Up"||Eyal Gordin||Joe Lawson||October 16, 2013||1AWX04||6.35|
|5||"She. Could. Go. All. The. Way!"||Joe Nussbaum||Eric Goldberg & Peter Tibbals||October 23, 2013||1AWX03||6.27|
|6||"Night Games"||David Katzenberg||Scott Boden Hodges||October 30, 2013||1AWX05||6.11|
|7||"Safety Squeeze"||Jeff Melman||Kevin Garnett||November 13, 2013||1AWX06||6.47|
|8||"No Crying in Baseball"||Charles Minsky||Daisy Gardner||November 20, 2013||1AWX09||6.14|
|9||"Massive Election"||Eric Appel||Robb & Mark Cullen||December 4, 2013||1AWX10||5.12|
|10||"I'll Slide Home for Christmas"||Lev L. Spiro||Corinne Kingsbury||December 11, 2013||1AWX08||6.14|
|11||"Color Barrier"||Lev L. Spiro||Robb and Mark Cullen||February 23, 2014 (internet)||1AWX07||N/A|
|12||"Sports Therapy"||Michael Patrick Jann||Gregg Mettler||February 23, 2014||1AWX11||N/A|
|13||"Who's on First"||Charles Minsky||John Requa & Glenn Ficarra||February 23, 2014||1AWX12||N/A|
Kristin Dos Santos of E! Online said that while the show's writing and casting is good, the premise might not be original enough to score a big audience. Robert Bianco of USA Today gave the show 3 out of 4 stars. David Hinckley of the New York Daily News gave the show 2 out of 5 stars. Mary McNamara of the Los Angeles Times said Caan "owns the screen whenever he's on it," Lawson "holds her own," and Crichlow and Gluck's characters are "a delight."
|United States||ABC||September 25, 2013 - December 11, 2013|
|Germany||GBC Channel Germany||January 10, 2015 - present |
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 16, 2013). "ABC Sets Premiere Dates for 2013-2014 Season Including 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.', 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' & More". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- Rose, Lacey; Goldberg, Lesley (May 10, 2013). "ABC Orders Ryan Seacrest's 'Mixology,' Sofia Vergara's Killer Women, 'Once' Spinoff, More". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (November 1, 2013). "'Back In The Game' Canceled by ABC; 'Trophy Wife' & 'The Goldbergs' Get Full Seasons; More Episodes for 'Super Fun Night'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- "Back in the Game Not Finishing Its Run on ABC; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of December 9, 2013)". Sitcoms Online. December 6, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 1, 2013). "ABC Gives Full Season Orders To 'Trophy Wife' & 'Goldbergs', Partial Order To 'Super Fun Night', Cancels 'Back In The Game'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 15, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 26, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Modern Family' and 'Survivor' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 3, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Survivor', 'The Middle', & 'Back In The Game' Adjusted Up; 'Ironside' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 10, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'Back in the Game', 'Modern Family' and 'The Tomorrow People' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 17, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Modern Family', 'Law & Order:SVU', 'Survivor', 'Toy Story of TERROR!' & 'Back In The Game' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' & 'Ironside' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 24, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Modern Family' & 'The Tomorrow People' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down + Final World Series Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 31, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Arrow' & 'The Middle' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down & FInal World Series Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (November 14, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Arrow', 'The Middle' & 'Survivor Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 21, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The X Factor', 'Modern Family', 'Arrow', 'Survivor' & 'The Middle' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 5, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Arrow' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up; 'The Tomorrow People' & 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (December 12, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Shows A-Z - back in the game on abc". The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- Dos Santos, Kristin (September 25, 2013). "Fall TV Review: ABC's Back in the Game Has Solid Chemistry—But There's a Catch". E! Online. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Bianco, Robert (September 25, 2013). "'Back in the Game' is a winner". USA Today. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Hinckley, David (September 25, 2013). "'Back in the Game': TV review". New York Daily News. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- McNamara, Mary (25 September 2013). "Review: ABC's 'Back in the Game' finds James Caan in fine Dad form". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 October 2013.