|Founded||Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2003)|
|Headquarters||Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
|Key people||Jouk Pleiter, CEO & Co-Founder
Gerbert Kaandorp, CTO and Co-Founder
Backbase is a software company, founded in the Netherlands in 2003, which has offices in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, New York, United States, Moscow, Russia and Singapore. The core products of Backbase are Backbase Portal and Backbase Forms.
In 2008, Backbase decided to develop its own Portal Software. Backbase had made a 180-degree turn in its focus based on a shift it saw in the market with company Marketing Departments beginning to take over responsibility from IT Departments for the customer-facing part of their web sites. Quality Open Source frameworks were also beginning to emerge and in 2009 Backbase released Backbase Portal 4. In May 2011, Backbase released Backbase Portal 5, with a total focus on widgets.
At the beginning of 2011 Backbase opened an office in North America, in New York City, to better focus on its US customer-base.
In September 2012, industry analyst Gartner placed Backbase Portal in the Visionary quadrant of its Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals:
- Backbase Enterprise Ajax for Java Introduces Free Community Version, IndicThreads, May 20, 2008.
- Dee-Ann LeBlanc. Backbase: A Rich Portal-Building Framework, CMS Wire, September 29, 2010.
- Backbase Expands North American Operations, Pressdoc, Januari 14, 2011.
- Jim Murphy, Gene Phifer, Ray Valdes, Eric Knipp, Gavin Tay. Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals, Gartner Inc., September 20, 2012.
- Stephen Powers. The Online Customer Engagement Software Ecosystem, Forrester, February 8, 2010.