|Founded||Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2003)|
|Headquarters||Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
|Jouk Pleiter, CEO & Co-Founder
Gerbert Kaandorp, CTO and Co-Founder
Backbase is a software company, founded in the Netherlands in 2003, which has offices in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, New York, United States, London, United Kingdom, Moscow, Russia and Singapore. The core products of Backbase are the Backbase Customer Experience Platform (Backbase CXP) and Backbase Engage (a digital banking suite).
In 2008, Backbase decided to develop its own Portal Software. Backbase had made a 180-degree turn in its focus based on a shift it saw in the market with company Marketing Departments beginning to take over responsibility from IT Departments for the customer-facing part of their web sites. In 2009 Backbase released Backbase Portal 4. In May 2011, Backbase released Backbase Portal 5, which was named a 'Portal Less Portal' by Gartner and the first Portal Software product that fully embraced WOA, Widgets and a RESTful architecture.
At the beginning of 2011 Backbase opened an office in North America, in New York City, to better focus on its US customer-base.
In 2014 Backbase changed the naming of its software from Backbase Portal to Backbase Customer Experience Platform to highlight the new features of its core product that now includes Portal, WCM, Mobile and Digital Marketing capabilities  Next to this, Backbase launched its own digital banking offering: Backbase Engage as a vertical solution for financial services.
In September 2013, industry analyst Gartner placed Backbase Portal in the Visionary quadrant of its Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals:
- Backbase Enterprise Ajax for Java Introduces Free Community Version, IndicThreads, May 20, 2008.
- Dee-Ann LeBlanc. Backbase: A Rich Portal-Building Framework, CMS Wire, September 29, 2010.
- Backbase Expands North American Operations, Pressdoc, Januari 14, 2011.
- David Roe. Backbase Boasts 'Lean, Agile' Customer Experience Platform, CMS Wire, March 25, 2014.
- Reuters. Backbase Releases Backbase CXP 5.5 With Added Mobile and WCM Features, 'Backbase, January 22, 2014.
- PR Newswire. Backbase Launches Backbase Engage: Digital Banking in a Box, PR Newswire, April 30, 2014.
- Jim Murphy, Ray Valdes, Gene Phifer, Gavin Tay. Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals, Gartner Inc., September 12, 2013.
- Stephen Powers. The Online Customer Engagement Software Ecosystem, Forrester, February 8, 2010.
- Jaroslaw Knapik . Backbase, Finacle, Oracle, and Temenos lead next-generation banking digital channel platform market, Ovum, April 6, 2014.