Backwoods (Justin Moore song)
|Single by Justin Moore|
|from the album Justin Moore|
|Released||October 19, 2009|
|Label||Valory Music Group|
|Justin Moore singles chronology|
Backwoods is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Justin Moore. It was released in October 2009 as the third single from his self-titled debut album. It became his second Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart with a peak of No. 6 in May 2010.
"Backwoods" is an up-tempo song in which the narrator lists off various contents of his "backwoods" and states he is proud of his "real good life / In the backwoods."
"Backwoods" was co-written by Moore himself, along with the producer of the song and album, Jeremy Stover, and Jamie Paulin. Moore told The Boot that the song was written in about 20 minutes. Moore says, "One of us just started rambling, and the other one started playing the groove of it. Some songs you write and know it's a really good song, then some of them you get into the studio and it comes to life then. This was one of those songs. I liked it when I wrote it, but when we got done doing it in the studio, we both went, 'Man, this has got to go on the album!'"
In August 2012, Moore was sued by a songwriter named Bobby Carmichael, who claimed that a song of his was very similar in structure.
The song received negative reviews from music critics. Country Universe reviewer Kevin John Coyne gave the song a D rating, saying "empty barrels make the most noise." Juli Thanki of Engine 145 gave the song a thumbs-down rating, saying that the song "sound[ed] like something stolen from Jason Aldean’s recycle bin."
Directed by Kristin Barlowe, the music video was released on CMT.com on November 5, 2009.
In May 2010, the song reached its peak of No. 6 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
|US Billboard Hot 100||69|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||41|
- "Backwoods Lyrics- Justin Moore". Lyricsfreak.com. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Conaway, Alanna (January 4, 2010). "Justin Moore, 'Backwoods' – Story Behind the Lyrics". The Boot. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- Sciarretto, Amy (14 August 2012). "Justin Moore Sued by Nashville Songwriter Over ‘Backwoods’". Taste of Country. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- John, Kevin (October 2, 2009). "Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Justin Moore, “Backwoods”". Countryuniverse.net. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Justin Moore – "Backwoods" – Engine 145". Engine145.com. October 7, 2009. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Videos : Justin Moore : Backwoods". CMT. January 23, 2010. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Justin Moore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Justin Moore. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "Justin Moore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Justin Moore. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Archived from the original on December 11, 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.