Bad Boy Bill
|Bad Boy Bill|
|Birth name||William Renkosik|
|Also known as||Bill Restemayer, Bad Boy Bill, 3B|
|Labels||Menage Music, Thrive|
|Associated acts||Alex Peace, Alyssa Palmer, Hatiras, Kevin Irving, Nadine Renee, Richard Vission|
Bad Boy Bill began his DJ career in 1985 during the Chicago House music movement of the mid and late 80's working with Mike "Hitman" Wilson and Julian "Jumpin" Perez of the then WBMX dj mixing team known as the Hot Mix 5. Bill's popularity began to grow by dj'ing parties throughout Chicago and the Suburbs opening for the Hot Mix 5 dj's.
- 1 History
- 2 Awards
- 3 Discography
- 4 Mix Details
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Street DJ Promotions era (1987–1995)
Bill made a series of promo mix tapes from about 1987–1995 under the name "Street DJ Promotions". These tapes were basically distributed out of the trunk of his car to local Chicago area record shops, flea markets, and they were also given away at Bill's DJ gigs. These mixes included: Hot Mix #1-17, Non-Stop Hip-Hop, Flashbacks Vol. 1 & 2, Classics Vol. 1-3, Street Style 1 & 2, and Gettin' Wicked. These were almost all in cassette form, with the exceptions of Hot Mix #16, Hot Mix 17, and Non-Stop Hip-Hop, which were produced on both CD and cassette. Bill has been credited with the idea of producing mass mix tapes, which before had only been made in small numbers. Taking the idea from a suggestion from Andre Lopez, owner of Hot Jams record store, Bill set out to promote the music and his mixing style. Thus spawning the "Hot Mix" tape series. The series was so wildly popular that a majority of Chicago DJs followed his lead, and soon it seemed like almost every DJ in Chicago was producing and distributing their own mix tapes. This caught the attention of the RIAA and many music publishing houses who did not collect any money from the use of copyrighted music on the vast number of mix tapes being produced and sold throughout Chicago by these many DJs. Change was inevitable and licensed mixes with national distribution was the way to go. Bill got on the forefront of the licensed mix movement and started Mix Connection Multimedia. He has been generally credited with being the first Chicago DJ to produce legally licensed mixes. He could not have done this without the help of his good friend Julian "Jumpin" Perez.
Mix Connection Multimedia era (1995–2001)
Bill created Mix Connection Multimedia (MCM) in 1995 to not only produce legally licensed mixes, but to serve as an umbrella company for several side projects and record labels such as: International House Records (IHR), Moody Recordings, Contaminated Muzik, Canvas Recordings, & Motus Music. MCM has most notably produced Bangin' The Box Vol. 1-5, The House Connection (w/ Richard "Humpty" Vission) Vol. 1 & 2, and The B-96 Mixmaster Throwdown Vol. 1-5.
Bangin' The Box (1995–2001)
Bill's Bangin' The Box series is one of the best selling series in dance music history with five volumes. There was also an offshoot of this series titled Bangin in London released in 2000.
House Connection (1997–1998)
Bad Boy Bill teamed up with Richard Vission to form the house dj super-group: The House Connection. They have released two mix albums with their last being in 1998. In May 2006 Bill did a special 2 night reunion show with fellow House Connection mate Richard Vission in Dallas and Detroit. This was the first time the two have spun together in 6 years. Rumors have started about a House Connection 3 being in the works.
Behind The Decks (2003–2006)
In 2003 he released a CD/DVD mix album entitled Behind the Decks. Behind the Decks was originally supposed to be a new series along the same lines as Transport/Tranceport for house music. A second album has not been announced for this series as of July 2007.
Bill embarked on a 3 show tour in May 2006 under the headline "BTD Live". Bill performed at "The Church" in Denver, Avalon in Los Angeles, and Crobar in Chicago. Both audio and video were recorded at these gigs after which a BTD Live CD/DVD was released in the stores in October 2006.
Artist Album and New Mix Album (2007-Present)
ClubPlanet.com did an interview with Bill in January 2007 where he talked briefly about his upcoming projects. He said to expect, "rock, hip-hop, and house" on his artist album. Bill also stated that his new mix album will be all house music.
Bill's artist album, titled The Album was released on July 28, 2009. He performed live on Chicago's B96 radio station on the day of release, and toured extensively in support of the album.
- 2006 Ranked 1st as America's Favorite House DJ according to BPM Magazine
- 2005 URB Magazine MSSV Contributors' Poll Winner, "Best Dance DJ"
- 2003 Ranked 1st as America's Favorite House DJ according to BPM Magazine
- 2002 Ranked 4th as America's Favorite House DJ according to BPM Magazine
- 2001 Ranked 40th best DJ in the world according to DJ Magazine
- 2000 Ranked 84th best DJ in the world according to DJ Magazine
- 1999 URB Magazine Readers Poll 2nd Place DJ of the Year
- 1998 Winter Music Conference Mixshow DJ of the Year
- 1989 DMC US Finals (3rd Place)
- 1988 DMC US Finals (2nd Place)
- 1988 DMC Midwest Finals (1st Place)
- 1987 Hot 105 (Miami) Battle of the DJ's (1st Place)
- July 28, 2009 - The Album
Continuous DJ Mixes
- August 2013 - House Connection Vol. 3 (with Richard Vission)
- October 17, 2006 - Behind The Decks Live CD/DVD
- September 2003 - Behind the Decks CD/DVD
- September 2001 - Bangin' The Box Vol. 5
- April 2000 - Bangin' Lady Boys Vol. 1
- August 1999 - Bangin' The Box Vol. 4
- October 1998 - House Connection Vol. 2 (with Richard Vission)
- September 1998 - Mixmaster Throwdown Vol. 3 (with B96 DJs)
- April 1998 - Bangin' The Box Vol. 3
- October 1997 - Global House Culture Vol. 4
- July 1997 - Mixmaster Throwdown Vol. 2 (with B96 DJs)
- May 1997 - The House Connection (with Richard Vission)
- October 1996 - Bangin' The Box Vol. 2
- June 1996 - Mixmaster Throwdown Vol. 1 (with B96 DJs)
- October 1995 - Bangin' The Box Vol. 1
- 1994 - Gettin' Wicked Vol. 1
- 1994 - Street Style 1 & 2
- 1993 - Non-Stop Hip-Hop
- 1988–1994 Hot Mix Series 1-17
- 2010 Fast Life featuring Alex Peace
- 2009 Do What You Like featuring Alyssa Palmer
- 2009 Falling Anthem featuring Alyssa Palmer
- 2003 Illicit Activities EP with Hatiras
- 2003 Happy featuring Kevin Irving
- 2002 Costa Del Sol featuring Nadine Renee
- 2001 Everybody featuring Alex Peace
- 1988 The First Revelation EP
- 1988 How Do Ya Feel
- 1987 Are You The One?
- 1987 Jack It All Night Long
- 2007 Shock Stars - End Of Chicago - Bad Boy Bill Remix
- 2007 Nelly Furtado - Say It Right - Menage Music Remix / Menage Acid Mix
- 2006 Steve Smooth & JJ Flores - Time For Love - Bad Boy Bill Remix
- 2005 Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds - Smooth & J & Bad Boy Bill Remix
- 2003 Harrison Crump - The Talk 2 - Bad Boy Bill Remix
- 1990 Dada Nada - "Deep Love" - Hip House Remix - Top 5 Billboard Club
Behind The Decks Live
- 20 Tracks Selectable
- 29 Tracks Mixed
- 1 hour 12 minutes
Behind The Decks
- 36 Tracks Selectable
- IMO Records. http://www.imorecords.co.uk/house-2/house-artists/bad-boy-bill-biography/ “Bad Boy Bill Biography"], IMO Records, London, Retrieved on 25 January 2012.
- "Bad Boy Bill at Avalon".
- Official website
- Behind The Decks
- Bad Boy Bill on Myspace
- Bad Boy Bill on SoundCloud
- Bad Boy Bill discography at Discogs
- 1989 DMC Battle