"Bad Boys" is the title of a song by the reggae band Inner Circle, made popular by the television program COPS, where it is played during the opening title sequence, while an instrumental version is played during the end credits.
The song was originally released in 1987 on the album One Way. In 1993, it was later released on "Bad Boys" and the song was released as a single. It reached number 53 in the United Kingdom and number 8 in the United States, going gold along the way. The song was also released as B-side on Inner Circle's 1992 single "Sweat (A La La La La Long)".
"Bad Boys" was selected as the theme song to COPS because a field producer for the show happened to be a fan of Inner Circle.
The song, which was very popular during the 1990s, was also used in the Will Smith and Martin Lawrence action/comedy film Bad Boys and the sequel Bad Boys 2 (some of the lyrics are sung by Smith and Lawrence in both films).
This song makes reference to "Sheriff John Brown", who was the sheriff killed in Bob Marley's song "I Shot the Sheriff".
An instrumental version of the song plays in the "In Drag Net" bonus level in Gex: Enter the Gecko.
This song is sampled in WWE superstar Rey Mysterio's entrance song "Booyaka 619" by P.O.D.
In the episode, "Diamonds Are for Roger" of the Nickelodeon sitcom, Kenan & Kel, Kel believes that Kenan's father, Roger is in fact the "Diamond Bandit", after looking at a police sketch of the aforementioned criminal on a television screen. This causes Kel to sing a parody of "Bad Boys" called "Bad Dad".
Chart performance 
Year-end charts 
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100
- ^ Rock N Roll Gold Rush: A Singles Un-Cyclopedia, pg. 427.
- ^ CdBBQ: Inner Circle
- ^ Griffin, Gil (1994-07-02). "Inner Circle's Sphere of Influence - Big Beat/Atlantic Set Follows 'Bad' Breakthrough". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- ^ The Biography of Inner Circle
- ^ Walker, Klive (2005). Dubwise: reasoning from the reggae underground. Insomniac Press. ISBN 1-894663-96-9, pg. 203.
- ^ "Australian-charts.com – Inner Circle – Bad Boys". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Inner Circle – Bad Boys – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ Canadian peak
- ^ Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Inner Circle – Bad Boys". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Norwegiancharts.com – Inner Circle – Bad Boys". VG-lista. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – Inner Circle – Bad Boys". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Inner Circle Album & Song Chart History". Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- ^ "Inner Circle Singles Chart History". Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- ^ "Billboard Top 100 - 1993". Retrieved 2010-08-27.
External links