|Genres||Indie rock, alternative rock|
|Labels||Dynamite Music (Present) Modern Outsider (past) Dangerbird Records (past) Dovecote Records (past)|
|Past members||Sebastien Schultz|
"Bad Veins" is an indie pop musical project by Benjamin Davis and Jake Bonta, formed in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Known for sporting vintage military clothing, using a telephone to sing into while performing, and utilizing an old reel-to-reel named Irene for backing tracks, all creating a unique show experience for even the most seasoned concert attendee. Army green and red roses, similar to their debut album cover, is a visual staple during their live performances.
Their self-titled debut album was released on July 21, 2009. The first single off the album was "Gold and Warm," which was used on Good Morning America’s "Your Three Words" segment on February 27, 2010. Dan Harris, an ABC News correspondent, named the debut the 7th best album of 2009 on ABC’s Amplified blog, calling it "criminally overlooked" and "utterly fantastic." The USA Today blog Pop Candy named the last track on the album, "Go Home" one of the Top 20 Songs of 2009.
Bad Veins has garnered considerable praise in the blog scene. A post on Radio Free Chicago discussed the band's new EP, titled Outliers, which came out on June 15, 2010, and described the duo's stage dynamic: "At the end of the day, Bad Veins is one of the Midwest's most talented bands, regardless. They're comprised of one of the most passionate and energetic drummers I've ever seen and Davis is a talented composer and singer to say the least. After seeing Davis play a number of solo shows, I can attest to the fact that the slight distortion used on his voice is not to mask any weakness but instead is a deliberate affect used by Davis to suit the songs. Without the stage tricks that Bad Veins is gaining notoriety for, Davis could be a great folk musician, and a number of moments on Outliers showcase just that. "
Acts the band have frequently played with or toured with include Two Door Cinema Club, Walk the Moon, Frightened Rabbit, We Were Promised Jetpacks, The Dig, As Tall As Lions, We Are Scientists, LoveLikeFire, The Subjects, Kevin Devine, Lightning Love, Maps & Atlases, Thrice and You, You're Awesome.
On January 24, 2012 Bad Veins announced that they will put out a new release, The Mess We've Made, via Austin, Texas-based label Modern Outsider. The Mess We've Made was released on April 24, 2012.
- Benjamin Davis (2007-present)
- Jake Bonta (2013-present)
- Sebastien Schultz (2007-2013)
Falling Tide (2007)
Bad Veins (2009)
Outliers EP (2010)
The Mess We've Made (2012)
- "Tribeca Film Festival music programming - The Hold Steady, Regina Spektor, Nick Lowe, Sondre Lerche, movies & stuff". Brooklynvegan.com. 2008-04-03. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Amplified: Best Albums of ’09 - ABC News". Blogs.abcnews.com. 2009-12-28. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Year in review: My top 20 songs of 2009". Content.usatoday.com. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "RFC Reviews: Bad Veins' Outliers EP. - Radio Free Chicago". Radiofreechicago.typepad.com. 2010-06-25. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "New Bad Veins Album Due in April". Citybeat.com. 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-03-15.