Badel Hernández Guzmán
|Badel Hernández Guzmán|
|Born||Humacao, Puerto Rico|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Unit||65th Infantry Regiment|
|Awards|| Distinguished Service Cross
On September 29, 1951, enemy fire from a forward post impeded the advance of Troops in Chorwon. Taking charge of this critical situation, Hermandez took a flame thrower, a weapon he has never used before, and singlehandedly advanced uphill against enemy fire, annihilating 14 enemy soldiers who were defending the post.
The heroic action of Hermandez made it possible for his battalion, repel the enemy from take the position.
Distinguished Service Cross citation
BADEL HERNANDEZ GUZMAN Citation:
Private BADEL HERNANDEZ GUZMAN, US50104254, Infantry, United States Army. Private HERNANDEZ GUZMAN, a member of an infantry company, distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action against the enemy in the vicinity of Chorwon, Korea. On 1 October 1951, Private HERNANDEZ GUZMAN'S company was assigned the mission of attacking a numerically superior hostile force occupying well fortified hill positions. In the opening phase of the attack, the assaulting elements were pinned down by a devastating volume of hostile automatic weapons fire. Realizing that his comrades faced annihilation in their present untenable positions, Private HERNANDEZ GUZMAN picked up a flame thrower and began to move forward. Upon locating the hostile emplacement which posed the greatest threat to his comrades, he unhesitatingly ran toward it. Crossing a wide expanse of open terrain, and completely exposed to the concentrated fire of the enemy, he made his way to within twenty yards of the machine gun position. The enemy, in desperation, converged the entire volume of their firepower on Private HERNANDEZ GUZMAN, hurling numerous grenades in an attempt to halt the singlehanded assault. Undeterred by the intense hostile fire, Private HERNANDEZ GUZMAN charged the remaining twenty yards and destroyed the enemy strongpoint with the flame thrower. Through his courageous and selfless actions, the friendly force was able to renew its assault and overrun its objective. The extraordinary heroism and steadfast devotion to duty displayed by Private HERNANDEZ GUZMAN reflect the greatest credit on himself and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service. Entered the Federal Service from Puerto Rico. Private Hernández Guzmán was also awarded the Silver Star for his actions.
Military awards and decorations
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Silver Star
- National Defense Service Medal
- United Nations Service Medal
- Korean Service Medal
- Korean War Service Medal
- Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation
- Presidential Unit Citation
- Meritorious Unit Commendation
Congressional Gold Medal
|You can see a video of President Barack Obama awarding the Congressional Gold Medal to the Borinqueneers here on YouTube|
On June 10, 2014, President Barack Obama, signed the legislation known[by whom?] as "The Borinqueneers CGM Bill" at an official ceremony. The Bill honors the 65th Infantry Regiment with the Congressional Gold Medal.
- List of Puerto Rican military personnel
- Puerto Rican recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross
- 65th Infantry
- Borinqueneers Congressional Gold Medal
- Hernandez Guzman's Distinguished Service Cross Citation
- "El Mundo" - "General Ridgeway se Impresiono Con Hazana Badel Hernandez"; May 9, 1952
- Obama honors Puerto Rican Infantry Regiment with Congressional Gold Medal, Washington Post, June 10, 2014.
- Dan Friedman, "Puerto Rico's Borinqueneers recognized with Congressional Gold Medal," New York Daily News, June 11, 2014.
- Obama awards Borinqueneers Congressional Medal of Honor, NBC News, June 10, 2014.
- Richard Payerchin, "President Obama to honor Army's Puerto Rican regiment the Borinqueneers," The Morning Journal, June 9, 2014.