|Member of Parliament
24 March 2004 – 13 February 2008
|Preceded by||none, (new constituency)|
|Succeeded by||Mohd Firdaus Ja'afar|
|Occupation||Member of Parliament|
Dato' Paduka Hajji Badruddin bin Amiruldin is a Malay Malaysian politician. He was born in 1951. He is currently the Deputy Permanent Chairman of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), the largest Malay political party in the country and the leader of the ruling Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition. Badruddin was also, until his defeat in the March 2008 General Elections, the Member of Parliament for the constituency of Jerai, Kedah in the lower house of Parliament, the Dewan Rakyat.
Early political life
Badruddin was not a very well known politician in the early 1990s, and was a backbencher in Parliament as Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of Yan in Kedah until his defeat in the 1999 general election to Nasharudin bin Mat Isa from PAS, losing by 182 votes.
Rise to prominence
In the 2004 general election, Badruddin ran for the new constituency of Jerai under the UMNO ticket and defeated his opponent, Che Din bin Arshad, from PAS, with a majority of 10,405. Later that same year, he was elected as the Deputy Permanent Chairman of UMNO with 1,510 delegates voting for him.
In the 12th general election 2008, Badruddin lost to a newcomer from PAS, Mohd Firdaus Jaafar with only 24,211 votes, compared to Mohd Firdaus' 26,510.
Electoral defeat in 2008
In the 12th general elections on 8 March 2008, Badruddin lost the Jerai parliamentary seat in the state of Kedah to PAS candidate, Ustaz Firdaus Jaafar who beat him with a majority of 2,299 votes.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2008)|
- "Badruddin should not use term 'keling'". Retrieved 18 November 2005.
- Beh, Lih Yi (11 July 2005). "Drama in the Dewan Rakyat". Malaysiakini.
- Beh, Lih Yi (17 October 2005). "Badruddin calls Kit Siang an 'Ah Pek'". Malaysiakini.
- "Choice to wear Tudung left to individual: Nazri". (30 October 2005). Daily Express.
- "Don't Forget Your Roots, Malay Corporate Citizens Told". (24 September 2004). BERNAMA.
- "Don’t like the term Islamic state? Take a hike, says BN MP". (13 July 2005). Malaysiakini.
- "Election 1999 results - state Kedah". (1999). BERNAMA.
- "Election 2004 results - state Kedah". (2004). BERNAMA.
- Fernandez, Terence (9 November 2005). "YB, Parliament is not a 'Kedai runcit'". The Sun.
- Gatsiounis, Ioannis (2 October 2004). "Abdullah stirs a hornets' nest". Asia Times.
- "Keputusan Penuh Pemilihan". (2004). Berita Harian.
- Lim, Kit Siang (2004). "UMNO - don't create new 'seditious' issues". Retrieved 9 November 2004.
- Ram, B. Suresh (1 April 2005). "Cili Padi hot over sexist remark". The Sun.
- Reme Ahmad (22 March 2006). "Two MPs call S'pore 'insolent'". Straits Times.
- "Third report lodged against Badruddin". (31 October 2005). The Star.
- Vasudevan, V. (27 October). "Across the Floor: Bid to discipline MP shot down". Malay Mail.
- Wong, Chun Wai (18 April 2005). "Jester performance of MPs not amusing". The Star.
- Badruddin says sorry to Karpal The Star 30 October 2007. Retrieved 13 December 2007