Bae Yong-joon's waxwork made by his Japanese
August 29, 1972 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Other names||Yonsama, BYJ|
|Occupation||Actor, Model, Television Producer, Businessman|
|Revised Romanization||Bae Yong-jun|
Bae Yong-joon (born August 29, 1972 in Seoul, South Korea), is a South Korean actor best known for his roles in numerous television dramas and one of the first kkonminam icons. He is known as Yon-sama (ヨン様) to his Japanese fans.
Born in Mapo-gu, Seoul, he was educated in Il-mun Preschool and Myung-il Elementary School. He eventually went to study in PaiChai Middle School and Hanyoung High School. Later he went on to the Sungkyunkwan University with his major is FTM (Film, TV & Multimeadia) in 1999.
2005 Taiwan visit
During an August 2005 visit to Taiwan on a 3 day visit to promote April Snow, Bae went to the hospital to see a cancer-stricken fan, who is a mother and who has drawn hundreds of portraits of Bae.
Bae acknowledged that he is dating Lee Sa-gang (aka Sagan Lee, Sagang Lee, 이사강), and a photograph of her has since been distributed on the Internet. However, according to a 2005 edition of the I-weekly, a MediaCorp owned magazine in Singapore, Bae has since separated from Lee, citing personal reasons. He has since decided to keep his marital status private. Sources, notably HanCinema, maintain that Bae is still single.
In 2006, he opened a business in Seoul. A healthy Western cuisine restaurant named "Gorilla in The Kitchen" in Gangnam-gu, Seoul. The unique name comes from an animal known for its energy and wisdom: the gorilla. Otherwise known as “Yon-sama’s restaurant” the restaurant has received praise from diners thanks to its unique concept, elegant interior, great service, and tasty food.
Bae's agency, KeyEast Entertainment, reported that Bae's apartment at Samseong-dong, Seoul caught fire on May 7, 2006 around 8:00 p.m., due to a short circuit. The house was empty when the fire broke out, thus causing no injuries. However, the fire caused damages costing up to 10 million won.
In 2011, he moved into a house in Seongbuk-dong from the villa in Samseong-dong, Seoul where he currently resides. Bae bought his first house which is located at the end of an expensive residential area well known as the rich village in Seongbuk-dong, Seoul. It gives a quiet and cozy impression.
In 2013, he won the grand prize at a hallyu awards ceremony hosted by the Japanese media industry and also received the best actor award in the Korean drama category of the Korean Entertainment 10th Anniversary Awards in Japan.
- 1994: Salut D'Amour (KBS)
- 1995: Our Sunny Days of Youth (KBS)
- 1995: Sea Breeze (PSB)
- 1995: Six Steps to Separation (KBS)
- 1996: Papa (KBS)
- 1997: First Love (KBS)
- 1999: Did We Really Love? (MBC)
- 1998: The Barefooted Youth (KBS)
- 2001: Hotelier (MBC)
- 2002: Winter Sonata (KBS)
- 2007: The Legend (MBC)
- 2011: Dream High (KBS)
|2009||Winter Sonata Anime||Kang Joon-sang / Lee Min-hyeong||
- 2004: The Image: Volume 1
- 2005: 100 Days of Bae Yong-joon
- 2007: BYJ Family Book
- 2009: Journey in Search of Korea's Beauty
- 2012: Visit to Kyoto
- 1995 KBS Drama Awards: Best New Actor Award
- 1995 KBS Drama Awards: Photogenic Award
- 1996 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award
- 1996 KBS Drama Awards: Valuable Actor Award
- 1997 33rd Baeksang Arts Awards: Popularity Award
- 2002 38th Baeksang Arts Awards: Popularity Award
- 2002 KBS Drama Awards: Popularity Award
- 2002 KBS Drama Awards: Best Actor Award (Winter Sonata)
- 2003 24th Blue Dragon Awards: Best New Actor Award (The Untold Scandal)
- 2003 24th Blue Dragon Awards: Popularity Award (The Untold Scandal)
- 2004 40th Baeksang Arts Awards: Best New Actor Award (The Untold Scandal)
- 2007 MBC Drama Awards: Daesang (Grand Prize)
- 2007 MBC Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Lee Ji Ah (The Legend)
- 2007 MBC Drama Awards: Popularity Award (The Legend)
- Profile of BYJ's quilt
- China Post South Korean star Bae arrives for 3-day visit 20 August 2005
- (Chinese) China Times  20 August 2005[dead link]
- Endless Love Web Portal
- Bae Yong-joon (배용준)
- Gorilla in The Kitchen
- Fire Breaks Out at Actor Bae Yong-joon’s House
- BYJ New House
- Gorilla in The Cafe
- "Actor Bae wins top prize at Japan hallyu awards". The Korea Observer. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- Brasor, Philip (2008-01-27). "Voice of dissent revives forgotten war memories". The Japan Times. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Bae Yong-joon". Newsweek. 2004-06-03. Retrieved 2008-01-31.[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bae Yong Joon.|