Map of Quezon City showing Bagong Silangan
|Region||National Capital Region|
|District||2nd District of Quezon City|
|• Barangay Captain||Crisell "Beng" Belmi Beltran|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Bagong Silangan is a barangay located in the 2nd district of Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines. Nearby barangays are Commonwealth, Batasan Hills and Payatas. Separated by a river in the east, the barangay leads to the Municipality of San Mateo in the province of Rizal.
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Political
- 4 Establishments
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Population
- 7 Politics
- 8 People and culture
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Barangay is divided geographically by having high and low areas. The border between these two areas is the Marikina Valley Fault System that runs parallel with the Marikina River. The High area western part of the Barangay is the edge of the Guadalupe plateau where most of Quezon City lies while the lower area, the eastern side of Barangay lies at the west bank of the Marikina River. Lying directly on the Marikina fault line, Bagong Silangan is considered as a high risk area for earthquake. Many residential building, commercial and institutional buildings lies directly or lies near the fault. While the lower part of Bagong Silangan lying near the bank of the river is prone to heavy flooding. While most of the areas in Barangay is considered urban in density and infrastructure, about a quarter of Barangay's area are actually farmland the last remaining in Quezon City.
Bagong Silangan shares its history with San Mateo, Municipality of Rizal as the first was once part of the latter. In fact, notable events such as The Battle of San Mateo took place here. In the early 1960s, Bagong Silangan was known as a rich agricultural area where rice was the main product. During the latter years, a drastic conversion brought relocation efforts for informal settlers from the downtown, therefore establishing the barangay as a separate entity and later formally recognized as part of Quezon City. The sudden expansion of built-up area of the Metro led the informal sectors flock the area as a site of downtown substitute. Thus, the barangay became infamous as a squatters' area. When former Mayor Ismael A. Mathay, Jr. granted the rights of land ownership to the barangay people, some long-termed conflicts were solved. Since then, population has been rapidly increasing and a continuing growth of children dependents is visible.
Bagong Silangan is divided into different main areas Purok, Sitio, Villages, Subdivisions and Compound.
- Purok 1
- Purok 2
- Purok 3
- Purok 4
- Purok 5
- Purok 6
- Sitio Veterans (New Veterans Village) - The Sitio Veterans is divided into areas composed of Area 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. This Sitio is the largest community of Bagong Silangan and larger than the barangay proper. It has a separate feast day and patron celebration.
- Sitio Pugot - Sitio Pugot is located in northernmost part of Bagong Silangan and bounded by Payatas A, Quezon City.
- Sitio Kumunoy - is located in the northernmost part of barangay. It was bounded by Area C in the west and Filinvest Homes in the east.
- Sitio Bakal - is located in the southern portion of Payatas B and bounded by Sitio Veterans and San Mateo River. It is the smallest Sitio in Bagong Silangan.
- Sitio Rolling Hills (Purok 7) - is a small community of Bagong Silangan located in northeast of Sitio Veternas and bounded by the Municipality of Rodriguez, Rizal.
- Bona Subdivision
- Violago Homes
- Filinvest 2
- Filinvest Heights
- Spring Country
- Spring Heights I and II
- Spring Valley
- D&A Vicente Village
- Tagumpay Village
- Humanity Village
- Country Homes
- D&A Vicente Village
- Covenant Village
- Clemencia Village
- Sulyap ng Pag-asa Village
- Sipna (Sitio Palay Neighborhood Association) - Originally a resettling site for those who have been displaced during the construction of Filinvest Subdivision.
- Sumama-Ka (Gulpo)
- Sulyap ng Pag-asa Housing
- Area C
- Paltok - Country Homes
- Filside - is the smallest community in barangay located at Paltok.
- Brookside - (headquarters of Tambuli ng Maralita, the sectoral newspaper of the Filipino Urban Poor)
- Bagong Silangan Elementary School (School ID: 136539), currently headed by Arsenio I. Honrejas, Jr., the school's principal 
- Bagong Silangan High School (School ID: 305332), currently headed by Angelita Regis, the school's principal.
Parks and plazas
- Geronimo Park (formerly Adelina Park), where sports competitions and programs by the barangay and Sanggunian Kabataan council are held.
- Barangay Hall (the second largest barangay hall in District 2)
- Barangay Hall Annex (Dove street, Sitio Veterans)
- Bagong Silangan Health Center
- Bagong Silangan Public Library
- Sanguniang Kabataan Hall
Place of worship
- San Isidro Labrador Parish in Bagong Silangan proper
- Sagrada Familia Parish in Sitio Veterans
- Local ng Bagong Silangan of Iglesia ni Cristo
- Muslim Mosque in Muslim area of Sitio Pugot
- JESUS is LORD J.P. Rizal St.
- Inter-Community Christian Church (ICCC)Lucban St.
- United Church of Christ in the Philippines, Sitio Veterans
- Glorious International New Horizon Mission Church, Road 7 Purok 5
Infrastructures such as public markets and commercial places lack the barangay. Commercial businesses are mostly rented from private owners. Talipapa or commercial areas are not concentrated in one place. Commercial areas in the barangay are mostly found near the area of transportation or near school. Currently almost each sitio has its own talipapa or local commercial area.
Bagong Silangan is serviced by its lone jeepney line that has a route from Bagong Silangan proper to Ever Gotesco and Sandiganbayan. Numerous Tricycle lines are also present in the Baranggay such as Sitio Veterans route and Barangay Proper Route. Beside the usual route from Batasan, one way of accessing the Barangay is through San Mateo, Rizal. The Route is linked by Bagong Silangan-San Mateo foot bridge in Purok Uno.
As of 2010, the estimated population of the barangay has reached 73,612. It is one of the most densely populated barangays in the 2nd district of Quezon City. The casualties brought by the tropical storm Ondoy have caused several families to relocate in Batangas and Laguna, thus decreasing the population especially in flood-affected areas.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2014)|
People and culture
Bagong Silangan is a growing barangay in Quezon City composed of people who came from different parts of the country. Tagalog is the primary language being spoken. Also numerous in the area are minority of Ilocano, Bisaya, Kapampangan, and Pangasinan speakers.
Bagong Silangan as an originally considered part of Rizal province shares its culture with the once homogenous agricultural culture of the people from San Mateo. However due to saturation of numerous cultures Bagong Silangan's cultural identity is evolved currently as more of heterogeneous which are mixed beliefs that are still expounding and evolving. 
With the Predominantly Catholic Population Bagong Silangan Hosts Cultural events that are heavily themed by their religion such as Fiestas which are celebrated every May to give homage to their patron San Isidro Labrador. Additionally minority religions such as INC, Protestants, Agnostics and others have their own celebration based on their discretion. 
The barangay is also the home to informal settlers who occupy not only vast tracts of public and private lands but also riverbanks, creeksides, aqueducts and transmission lines.
- gma news, Jun Obille. "The hidden, fractured earth under Metro Manila's streets". GMA News online. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Manila Bulletin, RIO ROSE RIBAYA. "Ondoy's flood worst in history PAGASA". Manila Bulletin online. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
-  http://www.deped.gov.ph/public/public.asp?sec=&action=edit&iID=327&type=public
-  http://www.deped.gov.ph/public/public.asp?sec=&action=edit&iID=471&type=Public
-  http://quezoncity.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=147&Itemid=1
-  http://web.archive.org/web/20080413061116/http://info.worldbank.org/etools/library/latestversion.asp?239522