|Birth name||Afie Jurvanen|
April 28, 1981 |
|Associated acts||Feist, Howie Beck, Jason Collett, The Weather Station, Zeus|
Afie Jurvanen (born April 28, 1981), known by his stage name Bahamas, is a Canadian musician born in Toronto, and raised in Barrie, Ontario. Jurvanen is self-taught on guitar and has worked with such musicians as Feist, Howie Beck, Jason Collett, Jack Johnson, The Weather Station, and Zeus. Bahamas' songs are represented by Downtown Music Publishing.
Jurvanen recorded his debut album, Pink Strat, in a cabin in rural Ontario in 2008. It was released under the name Bahamas in 2009 and subsequently nominated for a 2010 Juno Award for Roots & Traditional Album of the Year – Solo.
Bahamas' second album, Barchords, was released on February 7, 2012. At the 2013 Juno Awards, it was nominated for the Adult Alternative Album of the Year and Jurvanen was nominated for Songwriter of the Year for the tracks "Be My Witness", "Caught Me Thinking", and "Lost in the Light".
|2012||"Caught Me Thinking"||26||Barchords|
|2014||"All the Time"||—||Bahamas is Afie|
|2014||"Stronger Than That"||—||Bahamas is Afie|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
- Eisner, Ken (March 25, 2010). "Afie Jurvanen reinvents himself as Bahamas". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Semansky, Matt (February 25, 2010). "Bahamas's island life". The Coast. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "Artist Summary: Bahamas". JunoAwards.ca. Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. 2013. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Exclaim!'s 20 Most Anticipated Canadian Albums of 2012". Exclaim!. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Hear Bahamas Rip Soulful Harmonies on Falsetto-Filled 'All the Time'". Spin. May 29, 2014. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Q's Top 20 Albums of 2014". Retrieved January 1, 2015.
- Canadian Rock/Alt. "Canadian Active Rock & Alt Rock Chart Archive: Alternative Rock - February 28, 2012". Canadianrockalt.blogspot.com. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
|This article about a Canadian musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|