||This is the page title of a primary topic, and an article needs to be written about it. When a broad-concept article is written about the primary meaning of Bahasa, it should be moved to this page title. Related titles on this page should be described in the new article, while unrelated titles should be moved to Bahasa (disambiguation).||
|Look up Bahasa in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Bahasa, Bhasa, Basa, or Phasa is the word for "language" in many Asian languages, which derives from the Sanskrit word भाषा bhāṣā "spoken language". In many modern languages in South Asia and Southeast Asia which have been influenced by Sanskrit or Pali, bahasa and cognate words are now used to mean "language" in general.
It may refer to:
- The Indonesian language, or Bahasa Indonesia
- The Malay language, or Bahasa Melayu
- The Javanese language, or Basa Jawa, also Basa Jawi
- The Sundanese language, or Basa Sunda
- The Balinese language, or Basa Bali
- The Tausug language, or Bahasa Sūg
- The Betawi language, or Bahasa Betawi
- The Cia-Cia language, or Bahasa Ciacia
- The Khmer language, or Phiesa Khmae (ភាសាខ្មែរ)
- The Lao language, or Phasa Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- The Thai language, or Phasa Thai (ภาษาไทย)
- The Burmese language, or Myanma bhasa (မြန်မာဘာသာ)
- The Sinhala language, or Saiṁhala bhaāṣaāva (සිංහල භාෂාව)
- Nepal Bhasa
- Malaysian Sign Language, or Bahasa Isyarat Malaysia
- Kod Tangan Bahasa Malaysia (Malay language Hand Code), or Bahasa Malaysia Kod Tangan Bahasa
- Bahasa Rojak, a form of code-switching
- Indonesian slang, sometimes referred to as Bahasa gaul or Bahasa prokem
The word "Bahasa" is often incorrectly used in English to refer to Indonesian, often by Western expatriates and English-speaking Indonesians. The question "Do you speak Bahasa?" literally means "Do you speak language?" but this is grammatically incorrect. When Indonesian or Malay speakers refer to other languages, the word "Bahasa" is used; for example, Arabic is called Bahasa Arab literally "Arab language".
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Bahasa.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.