||This disambiguation page should be converted into a broad-concept article, describing the primary meaning of the term. Additional meanings linked to this term should be moved to a separate page with "(disambiguation)" in the title.||
|Look up Bahasa in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Bahasa, Bhasa, Basa, or Phasa is the word for "language" in many Asian languages, which derives from the Sanskrit word भाषा bhāṣā "spoken language". In many modern languages in South Asia and Southeast Asia which have been influenced by Sanskrit or Pali, bahasa and cognate words are now used to mean "language" in general.
It may refer to:
- The Indonesian language, or Bahasa Indonesia
- The Malay language, or Bahasa Melayu
- The Javanese language, or Basa Jawa, also Basa Jawi
- The Sundanese language, or Basa Sunda
- The Balinese language, or Basa Bali
- The Tausug language, or Bahasa Sūg
- The Betawi language, or Bahasa Betawi
- The Cia-Cia language, or Bahasa Ciacia (바하사 찌아찌아)
- The Khmer language, or Phiesa Khmae (ភាសាខ្មែរ)
- The Lao language, or Phasa Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- The Thai language, or Phasa Thai (ภาษาไทย)
- The Burmese language, or Myanma bhasa (မြန်မာဘာသာ)
- Nepal Bhasa
- Malaysian Sign Language, or Bahasa Isyarat Malaysia
- Kod Tangan Bahasa Malaysia (Malay language Hand Code), or Bahasa Malaysia Kod Tangan Bahasa
- Bahasa Rojak, a form of code-switching
- Indonesian slang, sometimes referred to as Bahasa gaul or Bahasa prokem
It is often incorrectly used in English to refer to Indonesian or Malay. The question "Do you speak Bahasa?" literally means "Do you speak language?" Indonesian officials abroad and some Indonesian civilians refer to the Indonesian language as Bahasa when speaking to non Indonesians. This is grammatically incorrect. When Indonesians refer to other languages such as English for example, the term is "Bahasa Inggris" literally "English (language)", "Bahasa Jawa" for Javanese, or "Bahasa Jepang" for Japanese and "Bhasha Bangla" for Bangla which means language.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.