Bahauddin Zakariya University
|Bahauddin Zakariya University|
|Motto||Knowledge Is Power|
|Chancellor||Mohammad Sarwar (Governor Punjab)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Muhammad Ameen Ali Mughal :P|
|Location||Multan, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Campus||Sahiwal, Layyah, Lahore Campuses|
Bahauddin Zakariya University (Urdu: بہاؤ الدین زکریا یونیورسٹی ملتان) is located in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan. It is the Largest university of South Punjab. Bahauddin Zakariya University was formerly known as Multan University. It was renamed in honor of Hazrat Baha-ud-din Zakariya. It is a degree awarding institute in more than 60 subjects, including pharmacy, medical, engineering, humanities, business administration, law, art, music, IT Agriculture and languages. The university is currently ranked at No. 3 in General Category Ranking of 2012 by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) 
The University started functioning in 1975 in rented buildings with 8 departments. But currently it has grown much and built many sub campuses also. Presently University has 60 departments and many constituent colleges namely; University Gilani Law College, and Multan College of Arts and many faculties including Veterinary faculty and faculty of Agricultural science and technology(FAST)(formerly UCA mean university college of Agriculture) . and faculty of Engineering and Technology The University is providing the maximum possible residential facilities to the students and staff.
The Bahauddin Zakariya University is a general University, providing instruction in both Arts and Science subjects. However, keeping in view the fact that agriculture is the mainstay of this region, (the place and its environs can boast of producing the country’s best silver crop (Cotton) and fruit crops (Mangoes, Citrus, and Dates), it was considered expedient to train manpower in the region for solving agricultural problems. Accordingly, a College of Agriculture was established in 1989. (The College of Agriculture and its complement, an Engineering College, form an integral part of the University Plan). The College of Engineering & Technology was established in 1994. Department of Commerce was started from November, 1996. BBA classes were started in the Department of Business Administration from October, 1996. Bachelor of Computer Science has also been introduced in the Department of Computer Science from November, 1996, even though Masters in Computer Science(MCS) was already running since 1989 . B.Sc. Electrical Engineering class was started in November, 1997. Information Technology Centre was established in July 1999. BS and MSc. Telecommunication System was started in January 2004. B.Sc. Mechanical, Computer, Textile, Agricultural and Architectural Engineering classes were started in Fall 2004. All degrees awarded by the university are recognized by HEC, PEC & PMDC.
The University is located at Bosan Road Multan, at a distance of 10 kilometers from the city centre. The main Campus is spread over 960 acres of land. This university has very large area its back gate is present which is 6 km from chowk kmharanwala.
The main objective of the University is to provide facilities of higher education and research to the population of the southern region of the Punjab, covering the Civil Administrative Divisions of Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan. The University fulfils the triple function of teaching, affiliation and an examining body, and has 79 affiliated colleges which include such old and prestigious institutions as the Government Emerson College Multan, Government College, BUREWALA, the Government College, Sahiwal and the Nishtar Medical College, Multan, and NFC Institute of Engineering and Technological Training.
Student admissions usually take place in the month of August and September in Fall semester. M.Phil and Distance Learing programs Admissions in January and February in Spring semester. Some of the departments require GAT and some have their own testing criteria.
1. Faculty of Arts-Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of History
- Department of Pakistan Studies
- Department of Political Science & International Relations
- Department of Mass Communication
- Multan College of Arts
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Applied Psychology
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Gender Studies
- Undergraduate Studies in Social Sciences(now defunct)
- Institute of Social Sciences(ISS) Established in 2012 in the former "Centre for Undergraduate Studies" building, offers BS & MSc in Anthropology, Public Administration, Social Work, Library Science, MSc Criminology, M.Sc Public Policy and M.Phil Public Administration.
2. Faculty of Science
- Institute of Pure and Applied Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Pure and Applied Mathematics (CASPAM)
- Institute of Computing
(1)-Department Of Information Technology
(2)-Department Of Computer Science
(3)-Department Of Telecommunication Systems
- Department of Physics
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Department of Statistics
- Centre for Undergraduate Studies(now defunct)
3. Faculty of Islamic Studies and Languages
- Department of Arabic
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Saraiki
4. Faculty of Commerce, Law & Business Administration
- Alfalah Institute of Banking & Finance (Business Administrations)
- Institute of Management Sciences (Business Administrations)
- Department of Business Administration ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of Applied Psychology ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of English ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of Economics ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of Commerce
- Gillani Law College
5. Faculty of Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Pharmaceutics
- Department of pharmaceutical chemistry
6. Faculty of Veterinary Sciences
- Clinical Sciences.
- Livestock and Poultry Production
7. Faculty of Engineering
- University College of Engineering & Technology
- University College of Textile Engineering
- Institute of Advance Materials
8. Faculty of Agriculture science and Technology Formerly it is called UCA mean university college of Agriculture now it is called FAST mean faculty of Agricultural Science and Technology . Fast Provide 8 Major subjects for specialization after 2 year but for evening program only four.
In order to improve the academic facilities of remote areas former Governor of Punjab Lt General (Rtd) Khalid Maqbool opened up sub campuses of the public sector universities with a vision to transform them into independent universities in future. Up till now following four sub-campuses of Bahauddin Zakariya University have been opened.
- BZU Sub-Campus, D.G Khan
- BZU Sub-Campus, Sahiwal
- BZU Bahadur Sub-Campus, Layyah
- BZU Sub-Campus, Lahore (under public-private partnership)
Following are the hostels accommodating thousands of students.
- Abu Bakar Hall
- Umer Hall
- Usman Hall
- Hamza Hall
- Ali Hall
- Qasim Hall
- Fatima Hall
- Marium Hall
- Ayesha Hall
- Aamina Hall
- Zainab Hall
- Khadija Hall
Advertisements are placed in the prominent newspapers whenever staff has to be hired. The shortlisted candidates are invited for interview by selection board.