Bahauddin Zakariya University
|Bahauddin Zakariya University|
|Motto||Knowledge Is Power|
|Chancellor||Makhdoom Syed Ahmed Mehmood (Governor Punjab)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof Syed Khawaja Alqama|
|Location||Multan, Punjab, Pakistan|
Bahauddin Zakariya University (Urdu: بہاؤ الدین زکریا یونیورسٹی ملتان) is located in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan. It is the Largest university of South Punjab. Bahauddin Zakariya University was formerly known as Multan University. It was renamed in honor of Hazrat Baha-ud-din Zakariya. It is a degree awarding institute in more than 23 subjects, including pharmacy, medical, engineering, humanities, business administration, law, art, music, IT Agriculture and languages. The university is currently ranked at No. 3 in General Category Ranking of 2012 by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) 
The University started functioning in 1975 in rented buildings with 8 departments. But currently it has grown much and built many sub campuses also. Presently University has 20 departments and many constituent colleges namely; University Gilani Law College, and Multan College of Arts and many faculties including Veterinary faculty and faculty of Agricultural science and technology(FAST)(formerly UCA mean university college of Agriculture) . and faculty of Engineering and Technology The University is providing the maximum possible residential facilities to the students and staff.
The Bahauddin Zakariya University is a general University, providing instruction in both Arts and Science subjects. However, keeping in view the fact that agriculture is the mainstay of this region, (the place and its environs can boast of producing the country’s best silver crop (Cotton) and fruit crops (Mangoes, Citrus, and Dates), it was considered expedient to train manpower in the region for solving agricultural problems. Accordingly, a College of Agriculture was established in 1989. (The College of Agriculture and its complement, an Engineering College, form an integral part of the University Plan). The College of Engineering & Technology was established in 1994. Department of Commerce was started from November, 1996. BBA classes were started in the Department of Business Administration from October, 1996. Bachelor of Computer Science has also been introduced in the Department of Computer Science from November, 1996. B.Sc. Electrical Engineering class was started in November, 1997. Information Technology Centre was established in July 1999. BS and MSc. Telecommunication System was started in year 2004. B.Sc. Mechanical, Computer and Architectural Engineering classes were started in year 2005. All degrees awarded by the university are recognized by HEC, PEC & PMDC.
There are three student union's exist in it.(1)MSM which is controlled by Minhaj ul Quran. (2)peoples students federation known as P.S.F (controlled by local MPA and MNA of Pakistan Peoples party). (3) Jamiat (controlled by some JUI). currently P.S.F is the ruling union with maximum votes. Rana Javed (President p.s.f), Abdulrehman Randhawa (Nazim-e-jamiat) both belong to agriculture department.MSM is an Islamic and not corrupt union.fourt union in BZU is imamea Student Fedration.
The University is located at Bosan Road Multan, at a distance of 10 kilometers from the city centre. The main Campus is spread over 960 acres of land. This university has very large area its back gate is present which is 6 km from chowk kmharanwala.
The main objective of the University is to provide facilities of higher education and research to the population of the southern region of the Punjab, covering the Civil Administrative Divisions of Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan. The University fulfils the triple function of teaching, affiliation and an examining body, and has 79 affiliated colleges which include such old and prestigious institutions as the Government Emerson College Multan, Government College, BUREWALA, the Government College, Sahiwal and the Nishtar Medical College, Multan, and NFC Institute of Engineering and Technological Training.
Student admissions 
Student admissions usually take place in the month of July. Some of the departments require GAT and some have their own testing criteria.
Academic departments 
1. Faculty of Arts-Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of History
- Department of Pakistan Studies
- Department of Political Science & International Relations
- Department of Mass Communication
- Multan College of Arts
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Applied Psychology
- Department of Philosophy
- Undergraduate Studies in Social Sciences
2. Faculty of Science
- Institute of Pure and Applied Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Pure and Applied Mathematics (CASPAM)
- Institute of Computing
(1)-Department Of Information Technology
(2)-Department Of Computer Science
(3)-Department Of Telecommunication Systems
- Department of Physics
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Department of Statistics
- Centre for Undergraduate Studies
3. Faculty of Islamic Studies and Languages
- Department of Arabic
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Saraiki
4. Faculty of Commerce, Law & Business Administration
- Institute of Management Sciences (Business Administrations)
- Department of Business Administration ( Sub-Campus D.G.Khan )
- Department of Computer Science ( Sub-Campus D.G.Khan )
- Department of English ( Sub-Campus D.G.Khan )
- Department of Economics ( Sub-Campus D.G.Khan )
- Department of Business Administration ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of Applied Psychology ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of English ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of Economics ( Sub-Campus Sahiwal )
- Department of Commerce
- Gillani Law College
5. Faculty of Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Pharmaceutics
- Department of pharmaceutical chemistry
6. Faculty of Veterinary Sciences
- Clinical Sciences.
- Livestock and Poultry Production
7. Faculty of Engineering
- University College of Engineering & Technology
- University College of Textile Engineering
- Institute of Advance Materials
8. Faculty of Agriculture science and Technology Formerly it is called UCA mean university college of Agriculture now it is called FAST mean faculty ofAgricultural Science and Technology . Fast Provide 8 Major subjects for specialization after 2 year but for evening program only four.
In order to improve the academic facilities of remote areas former Governor of Punjab Lt General (Rtd) Khalid Maqbool opened up sub campuses of the public sector universities with a vision to transform them into independent universities in future. Up till now following three sub-campuses of Bahauddin Zakariya University have been opened.
- BZU Sub-Campus, D.G Khan
- BZU Sub-Campus, Sahiwal
- BZU Bahadur Sub-Campus, Layyah
Following are the hostels accommodating thousands of students.
- Abu Bakar Hall
- Umer Hall
- Usman Hall
- Hamza Hall
- Ali Hall
- Qasim Hall
- Fatima Hall
- Marium Hall
- Ayesha Hall
- Aamina Hall
- Zainab Hall
- Khadija Hall
Staff hiring 
Advertisements are placed in the prominent newspapers whenever staff has to be hired. The shortlisted candidates are invited for interview by selection board.