Bahman Jalali (1944 – 15 January 2010) was a famous Iranian photographer who played a significant role in educating the new generation of Iranian photographers. He used to taught photography at different universities in Iran for 20 years.
He is best known for his documentary photographs from Iranian Revolution in 1979 and from the Iran-Iraq war, but after the revolution he focused more on teaching photography at Iranian Universities than practicing it.
He was the curator of Iran's first museum of photography and inspired a generation of emerging Iranian photographers.
His latest work was a photo series called "Image of Imaginations", which took three years (2003–2006) for him to complete. It was a mixture of flowers or Iranian calligraphy with old photographs from throughout Iranian photographic history. He explained later: “I have been exposed to many images by little known photographers around the country. Those that I could keep, I have held as mementos, and others have left their marks on my imagination.”. The Museum of Fine Arts in Nantes has bought this photo series for their collection.
He was given a very special homage for his forty years of career in photography by the Fundacio Antoni Tàpies in Barcelona with a special solo exhibition curated by Catherine David from September to December 2007, with the publication of a book. He contributed to the prestigious exhibition in the British Museum of London, Word into Art : Artists of the Modern Middle East in 2006.
Until the end of his life, Bahman Jalali was a member of the editorial board for Aksnameh, a bi-monthly journal of photography in Tehran.
- Cathérine David, cur.: Bahman Jalali (Barcelona: Fundaciò Antoni Tàpies, 2007). 296 pages.
- Anahita Ghabaian Etehadieh, sous la direction de, "La photographie iranienne, Un regard sur la création contemporaine" (L'Atelier d'édition-Loco/Silk Road Gallery, 2011). 191 pages.
- Bahman Jalali in Kargah
- L'ànima d'una màquina sense ànima: Reflexions sobre la fotografia de Bahman Jalali (Catalan) an essay by Hamid Dabashi
- Bahman Jalali / Image Of Imagination
- Fundació Antoni Tàpies Press images : Bahman Jalali
- Unfinished Picture : Bahman Jalali – A documentary About Bahman Jalali by Amid Rashedi&Tooraj Rabbani
- Silk Road Gallery, Bahman Jalali