||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (July 2012)|
September 26, 1953|
Dandong, Liaoning, China
|Fields||chemistry and physics|
|Institutions||Chinese Academy of Sciences|
Bai Chunli (白春礼) FAA (born September 26, 1953) is a Chinese scientist. He graduated from Peking University in 1978. In 1981 he received a master's degree of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, and in 1985 earned a doctor’s degree. From 1985 to 1987, he was at the California Institute of Technology, engaged in postdoctoral research. He is a professor and academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences and the The World Academy of Sciences. Currently he is President of The World Academy of Sciences, President of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the co-chairman of the China Association for Science and Technology and the president of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
His research is mainly in the field of nanotechnology scanning tunneling microscopy, where his work focuses on scanning probe microscopy techniques, and molecular nano-structure, as well as nanotechnology research. He has published a large number of books in both Chinese and English. He was an alternate committee member of the 15th and the 16th CPC Central Committee, and the sixth Vice President of the China Association for Science and Technology. In 2011, he became an honorary member of Chinese Association for Science and Technology.
He is now a part-time professor at Peking University, Tsinghua University, University of Science and Technology of China, Nankai University, and the China University of Geosciences, and is also a visiting professor at Liaoning Normal University and Nanjing Audit University.
Bai's father was a primary school teacher who encouraged Bai to read. In 1966, he went to middle school, graduating with a High School Certificate in 1970, at the time of the Cultural Revolution. During those difficult times, Bai, who was very motivated to studying, had no choice but to go and work in the countryside and mountainous areas with other young people. Though the work was very tiring, Bai Chunli took full advantage of his spare time to read books which were left by his older brother.
Bai Chunli worked in the Inner Mongolia production and construction corps for four years. In 1974, after the whole soldiers' secret ballot[clarification needed] and the exam, Bai Chunli was recommended to be a student at Peking University.
In January 1978, after graduating from the university, Bai Chunli was assigned to the Chinese Academy of Sciences' applied chemistry department, which was the beginning of his research career in the Chinese Academy of Sciences. In 1996, he was the Vice President of the Chinese Academy of Sciences; in 2011, he took over from Lu Yongxiang as sixth President of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
During his working career, Bai conducted research in areas such as polymer catalyst structure and property, organic compounds of crystal structure X-ray diffraction, molecular mechanics and conductive polymers of EXAFS, etc. He has been engaged in the study of scanning tunneling microscopy, which has been a significant field in nanotechnology (NT), since the mid-1980s. Many of his works, both in Chinese and English, have been published by Germany Springer Publish Company and Scientific Company and many other publishing houses. Furthermore, he has earned many other awards such as Internationalism[clarification needed] which is awarded by the International Chemical Industry association.
Bai Chunli is one of the pioneers in the field of scanning probe microscopy. The laboratory he leads organized much wide-ranging and detailed research. Bai was elected as an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences as well as an academician of the Third World Academy of Science. Bai has made many contributions to STM study nationally and internationally. He has created a team which aims to increase cooperation between China and the United States on the issue of regularly using energy sources. Generally speaking, Bai has devoted himself to shortening the scientific distance between China and foreign countries.
Due to his achievements, Bai has gained many awards and had great impact on many people in different fields. He is the editor of China Basic Science magazine, and plays an important role in the political field. In his youth, he was named the best worker around China and one of China's Top Ten Outstanding Young Persons among other distinctions.
The books listed below are part of the famous works compiled by Bai Chunli.
- STM and Its Application (扫描隧道显微术及其应用)
- Nanometer Science and Technology (纳米科学与技术)
- Observations and Control of Atom and Molecule (原子和分子的观察与操纵) ic
- Research and Application of Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (扫描力显微术)
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and its Application (扫描隧道显微术及其应用)
Title of academician
- The award as an academician of TWAS (Third World Academy of Sciences) 发展中国家科学院 (原"第三世界科学院")
- The award as an academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences 中国科学院 (化学部) 院士
- Foreign academician of the American Academy of Sciences 美国科学院外籍院士
- Honorary Fellow of the British Royal Society of Chemistry 英国皇家化学会荣誉会士
- Foreign academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences 俄罗斯科学院外籍院士
- Honorary Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences 印度科学院荣誉院士
- Corresponding Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (2013)
According to an announcement from the Chinese Science Academy at a conference on February 28, Bai would be the new leader of Academy. Bai made a speech on "How to lead Chinese technology" in which he said that no matter how capable a person was, spirit was most important.
On April 13, in the opening ceremony of the Chinese Chemical Society 28th Annual Meeting, Bai Chunli gave a speech. He reviewed the great role that chemical plays in human life, and pointed out that solving the social public security problems is also a mission for chemistry.
On May 1, Bai Chunli attended the closing ceremony of the 14th Sino-US Joint Committee which was held in Beijing, and joined some relevant activities.
May 8, Bai Chunli, as the leadership team leader of the Daya Bay neutrino experiment, shared the four successful aspects of the experiment with internet users. He insisted that from a governmental and national perspective, there should be a long-term vision and attention on basic research.
- "Bai Chunli-Chinese Academy Of Sciences". English.cas.cn. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "白春礼院士著作". Spm.com.cn. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "纳米科学与技术丛书编委会在京正式召开，白春礼院长担任主编-科学出版社". Sciencep.cas.cn. 2011-03-24. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "扫描隧道显微术研究及其应用 Research and Application of Scanning Tunneling Microscopy". D.wanfangdata.com.cn. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "白春礼院士著作". Spm.com.cn. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "中科院院长白春礼：看好物理领域获诺贝尔奖_互联网_DoNews-IT门户-移动互联网新闻-电子商务新闻-游戏新闻-风险投资新闻-IT社交网络社区". Donews.com. 2012-04-14. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- 2012年05月03日09:13 来源：中国科学院 (2010-09-09). "白春礼出席中美科技联委会会见活动暨签约仪式-搜狐新闻". News.sohu.com. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "白春礼:要有长远眼光重视基础研究 _中国新闻_大洋网". News.dayoo.com. Retrieved 2012-06-05.