Baildon railway station
|The view from the platform|
|Local authority||City of Bradford|
|Managed by||Northern Rail|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||West Yorkshire (Metro)|
|4 December 1876||Station opens|
|5 January 1953||Station closed|
|28 January 1957||Station reopened|
|29 April 1957||Station closed|
|5 January 1973||Station reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Baildon from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Baildon railway station serves the town of Baildon near Shipley in West Yorkshire, England. The station reopened on 5 January 1973, by the Chairman of Baildon Council- Arnold Lightowler, having been closed for exactly 20 years, and is 4 miles (6 km) north of Bradford Forster Square on the Wharfedale Line. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by Northern Rail.
Opened by the Midland Railway, the station became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923, and then passed to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
During Monday to Saturday daytimes, there is a half hourly service to Bradford Forster Square and Ilkley. During Monday to Saturday evenings it is hourly in each direction, and on Sundays it is two-hourly.
The site today
The line has been reduced to single track, so there is only one platform, and the station building has been sold. The second platform is disused and covered in weeds.
- Railways Through Airedale & Wharfedale Martin Bairstow (2004) ISBN 1-871944-28-7
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Train times and station information for Baildon railway station from National Rail
- Station on navigable O.S. map
- Heritage Walks around Baildon - including a Railway Walk
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Line and station open
Line open, station closed
|This article on a railway station in Yorkshire and the Humber is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|