Baja Fresh is a chain of fast-casual Tex Mex restaurants founded in Newbury Park, California in 1990 and headquartered in Irvine, California. The chain emphasizes fresh ingredients, and each restaurant features a self-serve salsa bar.
In 1990, Jim and Linda Magglos took out a third mortgage on their home and opened the first Baja Fresh in Newbury Park, California in the Conejo Valley with the vision of fast food, Mexican-style, that was not processed. The result was a chain of restaurants where the customer would "never see a can opener" — and the motto “no microwaves, no can openers, no freezers, no lard and no MSG.” Franchising began In 1995, and the chain had expanded to 31 outlets by 1997. In 1998, the Magglos worked with Greg Dollarhyde and Pete Siracusa, who recapitalized the parent company, acquired venture capital and bought shares from outside holders to take control of Baja Fresh. Dollarhyde became CEO with Siracusa as Chairman and Magglos as President, they then grew the chain from 45 locations in 1998 to 249 stores.
In 2002, Wendy's International purchased Baja Fresh for $275 million. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Wendy's, the 249 restaurant chain saw consistently declining same store sales. In 2006, Wendy's sold the roughly 300-location Baja Fresh chain for $31 million to a private investor consortium that operates other restaurants, including Sweet Factory, La Salsa, Cinnabon and Denny's. The consortium is led by David Kim, who took on the role of CEO of the company.
In 2009, Baja Fresh moved its corporate headquarters from Thousand Oaks to Cypress, California, and closed all locations in central Ohio. Between 2009 and 2010, the chain closed stores in Berkeley, Pasadena and Torrance, CA. In late 2011, the company moved its main corporate office from Cypress to Irvine. In early 2012, the chain closed its store in Newbury Park, CA, site of the first Baja Fresh. On April 12, 2013 Baja Fresh closed all 5 locations in Phoenix, Arizona without notice.  On April 5, 2012, David Kim stepped down from his position as company CEO. His position is resumed by company president Chuck Rink, who now holds both titles.
- "Contact Us." Baja Fresh. Retrieved on February 25, 2010.
- "Quick-Causal Fresh Mexican Chain to Open in Dubai's World Famous Burj Khalifa". Franchising.com, January 22, 2010.
- "Hurry Up & Relax Fast Casual is Booming". Restaurant Hospitality, Nov 1, 2001, Barb Axelson.
- "The Chain Gang". Forbes, November 12, 2001, David Shribman. November 12, 2001.
- "Baja Fresh buyers look to inject new life into struggling chain". Restaurant News, Lisa Jennings,.
- "Baja Fresh company leaves Thousand Oaks: Corporate operations are now in Orange County". Trading Markets, 25 Mar 2009.
- "History." Fresh Enterprises Inc. History
- "Wendy's diversifies with purchase of Baja Fresh". USAtoday, 5/31/2002. May 31, 2002.
- Facebook Page of David Kim
- "Wendy’s/Arby’s Group, Inc. :: News Release" (Press release). Ir.wendysarbys.com. 2006-11-28. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- "Central Ohio bids adios to Baja Fresh locations". The Columbus Dispatch, July 21, 2009, Bill Chronister.
- "Baja Fresh Newbury Park Location Closed as of Tuesday, January 10th". http://www.conejovalleyguide.com WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11, 2012 AT 08:58AM.
- "Chuck Rink Appointed Chief Executive Officer of Baja Fresh® Mexican Grill". http://www.businesswire.com WEDNESDAY APRIL 05, 2012 AT 09:00 PM.