Bajofondo in 2006
|Also known as||Bajofondo Tango Club|
|Labels||Universal Music Latin|
|Members||Gustavo Santaolalla, Juan Campodónico, Luciano Supervielle, Martín Ferrés, Verónica Loza, Javier Casalla, Gabriel Casacuberta, Adrián Sosa|
Bajofondo is a Río de la Plata-based music band consisting of eight musicians from Argentina and Uruguay. The band, which refers to itself as a "collective of composers, singers and artists", was formerly called "Bajofondo Tango Club", but shortened the name to "Bajofondo" after they felt their style had broadened, as was announced on their live concert in Berlin in April 2008.
Often compared to Gotan Project, their earlier music had blended acoustic tango and electronic music, part of an evolving tango genre which is known as Electrotango, which brought tango back into the mainstream. In addition to the aforementioned mixture of tango and electronica, the band is an innovative form of drum and bass, house music, chill out and trip-hop. Their first record, Bajofondo Tango Club, was launched in 2003 with great success, with a second lone project from pianist/DJ/composer Luciano Supervielle greeted warmly by reviewers in late 2005. More recent music from their third album, Mar Dulce, is a fusion of Latin Alternative with contemporary music forms along the Río de la Plata at the border of Argentina and Uruguay.
- Gustavo Santaolalla - composer, vocals, guitar/percussion, production
- Juan Campodónico - composer, sequences/djset, production
- Luciano Supervielle - composer, piano, scratching, sequences/dj set
- Martín Ferrés - bandoneón
- Verónica Loza - vocals / video jockey
- Javier Casalla - violin
- Gabriel Casacuberta - bass
- Adrian Sosa - drums
- Related albums
- Bajofondo presenta Supervielle - 2004
- Bajofondo presenta Santullo - 2009
- Bajofondo presenta Campo - 2011
- Supervielle en el Solís - 2006
- Chuy Varela (2008-08-03). "Bajofondo mixes Latin, rock, hip-hop sounds". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Bajofondo on Myspace
- Bajofondo discography at MusicBrainz
- Bajofondo interview with Undergroundrepublik