Baker & Taylor
Baker & Taylor, a distributor of books and entertainment, has been in business for over 180 years. Based in Charlotte, North Carolina and privately owned, in 2006 the firm had $2.2 billion in sales, employed 3,750, and was # 181 on Forbes list of privately owned companies. Current CEO is Marshall A. Wight, succeeding Jack Eugster as chairman and chief executive officer, having succeeded Richard Willis on January 4, 2008.
Baker & Taylor's core business distributes tangible media content (i.e., books, calendars, music CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs), digital content (i.e., ebooks and e-spoken word audio), and collection development and processing services to libraries throughout the world. Digital content is available through the company's Axis 360 platform via the Blio app or the Axi360 app in combination with the Axis Reader app. Its retail unit distributes approximately 1 million+ book titles and music CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays to brick and mortar and Internet retailers (booksellers, craft stores, department stores, comic book stores).
Castle Harlan Partners is Baker & Taylor's majority owner, having acquired it from the investment firm Willis Stein & Partners. In 1994, it[which?] the Follett Corporation of River Grove, Illinois had intended to acquire Baker & Taylor from the then majority holder, the Carlyle Group, who was looking to sell its interest to concentrate on the defense industry.
Baker & Taylor paid $3 million to the US government in 1999 to settle a federal lawsuit claiming that it had overcharged the federal government, and state and local libraries using federal funds, after it had been sold by its then parent W. R. Grace and Company in March, 1992.
- "Baker & Taylor". Archived from the original on 9 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- "Baker & Taylor - Company Overview - Hoover's". Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- "Baker & Taylor Chief Executive Officer Resigns: Eugster Appointed Chairman" (pdf). Retrieved 2008-06-01.[dead link]
- "axis360 App Zone". Queens Public Library. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Baker & Taylor - Company Description - Hoover's". Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- "David Cully Appointed President, Baker & Taylor Retail". Retrieved 2008-06-01.[dead link]
- "Baker & Taylor being sold. (Baker and Taylor Inc. Baker and Taylor Video)". Video Business. Retrieved 2008-06-01.[dead link]
- "#276: 06-28-99 BAKER & TAYLOR, INC. PAYS $3 MILLION TO SETTLE ALLEGATIONS OF OVERCHARGING FOR BOOKS". Retrieved 2008-06-01.