|No. of offices||14|
|No. of attorneys||Nearly 900|
|Major practice areas||General Practice|
R. Steven Kestner
|Founder||Newton D. Baker, Joseph C. Hostetler, Thomas L. Sidlo|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
In 2009[update], the firm was rated the 85th largest law firm in the world,. In 2014, the law firm employs nearly 900 attorneys and has offices in 14 different markets including: New York, Washington, D.C., California (Los Angeles, Costa Mesa), Illinois (Chicago), Florida (Orlando), Texas (Houston), Colorado (Denver), and Ohio (Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati). BakerHostetler is a multidisciplinary firm with 11 practice groups and more than 55 areas of practice strength. In a 2005 survey by BTI Consulting Group, BakerHostetler was ranked among the top 24 firms considered to be the “Power Elite” in terms of providing superior client satisfaction.
BakerHostetler's Washington office is home to former Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, Michael G. Oxley. Mr. Oxley joined the firm after a 25-year career in the U.S. House of Representatives. He is best known as the co-author of the landmark Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, which restored confidence in the capital markets and in the financial reporting of public companies.
In March 2010, BakerHostetler, represented Denbury Resources Inc. (NYSE: DNR), a member of the S&P 500, in a merger valued at $4.5 billion with Encore Acquisition Co. (NYSE: EAC). The transaction created one of the largest oil-focused independent exploration and production companies in North America. As a result of this and other similar deals, BakerHostetler was ranked among the top 10 U.S. law firms for merger and acquisition deals in the oil, gas and oilfield service industries for the period January 2009-First Quarter 2010 per The Deal magazine. The firm is generally known for counseling and representing clients in the hospitality, healthcare, financial services, media, energy, sports and technology fields.
BakerHostetler has represented the William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Foundation's HIV/AIDS Initiative since 2003.
Major League Baseball has been a longstanding client of BakerHostetler.
Other notable clients
- ABC, Inc.
- Airbus S.A.S.
- Cardinal Health, Inc.
- CNL Financial Group
- Colgate-Palmolive Co.
- Electronic Data Systems
- The E.W. Scripps Co.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Gruner + Jahr
- Hospital Corporation of America
- Microsoft Corp.
- Morgan Stanley
- Sprint Nextel
- State Farm
- Progressive Corp.
- Trammell Crow Co.
- "About us - Facts". BakerHostetler. 2008. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- "BAKER, NEWTON DIEHL". Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Case Western Reserve University. 1997-07-11. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- "HOSTETLER, JOSEPH C.". Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Case Western Reserve University. 1997-07-18. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- "SIDLO, THOMAS L.". Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Case Western Reserve University. 1997-07-22. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- The Lawyer Global 100 from The Lawyer published in association with The American Lawyer November 2009; see also List of 100 largest law firms globally
- http://www.bticonsulting.com, see BTI Power Rankings: The BTI Client Relationship Scorecard for Law Firms 2005
- "Profile of Professional Organization Contributors Baker Hostetler". The National Law Review. The National Law Forum, LLC. 2012-04-15. Retrieved 2013-01-08.
- "A Whole New Look for Some Law Firms in 2014". The Wall Street Journal Law Blog. The Wall Street Journal. 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- Stephenson, Amanda (February 2007). "BakerHostetler facilitates deal for HIV/AIDS Initiative.(Inside Track: Law)". Inside Business (FindArticles). Retrieved 2007-02-05.[dead link]