Location in Somalia.
|• Governor||Mohamed Abdi Tall|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Bakool, like Gedo and Bay, as well as most parts of the Jubbada Dhexe (Middle Juba) region, used to be a part of the old Upper Region, which was subdivided in the mid-1980s. It has its capital at Xuddur.
In March 2014, Somali Armed Forces assisted by an Ethiopian battalion with AMISOM re-captured the Bakool province's capital Hudur from the Al-Shabaab militant group. The offensive was part of an intensified military operation by the allied forces to remove the insurgent group from the remaining areas in southern Somalia under its control.
The Bakool region consists of five districts:
- "Senior al-Shabaab leader Robow 'in talks' with government". Sabahi. 7 July 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Somalia: Federal Govt, Ethiopian forces liberate strategic town of Hudur". Garowe Online. 7 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Somalia: Federal Govt, AMISOM troops clash with Al Shabaab". Garowe Online. 11 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Bakool Region". Retrieved 30 December 2013.
|This Somalia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|