|Native name||பக்கு மகாதேவா|
|Born||29 October 1921|
|Died||29 November 2013(aged 92)|
|Ethnicity||Sri Lankan Tamil|
|Alma mater||Royal College, Colombo|
Early life and family
Mahadeva was born on 29 October 1921. He was the son of Arunachalam Mahadeva and Sivahamy Ammal. He was educated at Royal College, Colombo where he was classmates of C. A. Coorey. After school he obtained BA and MA degrees in mathematics from the University of London.
Mahadeva lectured in mathematics at the University of Ceylon, Colombo before joining the Ceylon Civil Service in January 1945. During his civil service career he held numerous senior positions. He was Assistant Secretary to the Minister of Defence in 1949 and Assistant Secretary to the Minister of Lands in 1952. He became Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Agriculture and Food in 1958. He also served as Secretary to the Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs.
Mahadeva chairman of the National Development Bank and DFCC Bank and a director of People's Bank. He was chairman of Lanka Tiles Ltd and Lanka Wall Tiles Ltd and director of several private companies. He was chairman of the Presidential Privatisation Commission and a member of the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Mahadeva was chairman of the boards of trustees for Sri Ponnambalavaneeswara Temple and Sri Arunachaleswara Temple. He was awarded the Deshamanya title, the second highest Sri Lankan national honour, in 1990.
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon. p. 95.
- "Deshamanya Baku Mahadeva passes away". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). 1 December 2013.
- de Silva, Raja (13 June 2004). "Memories of an upright man: C.A. Coorey". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- de Silva, Charitha P. (11 July 2004). "Chandana Aelian Coorey". The Sunday Leader.
- "Annual Report 2007". Overseas Reality (Ceylon) PLC. p. 11.
- "Obituaries". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka). 1 December 2013.
- "Death of Baku Mahadeva". Sunday Island (Sri Lanka). 1 December 2013.
- "Baku Mahadeva passes away". The Nation (Sri Lanka). 1 December 2013.
- "Parquet reviving under new ownership". The Island (Sri Lanka). 18 January 2004.
- "Death of Baku Mahadeva". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka). 1 December 2013.
- Ladduwahetty, Ravi (15 November 2011). "‘I was held at gun point at home during peoplisation of United Motors’". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- "National Awards". Presidential Secretariat.